PDA

View Full Version : State Guide Books

Crestview_hiker
03-01-2014, 13:14
First time hiking a thru hike this year 2014, and I have the AT Guide, Data Book and the Companion. My question is do I really need to purchase the individual State Guide books? Are they really necessary or helpful?

Any suggestions ?

lonehiker
03-01-2014, 13:17
No. You will only need the AT Guide.

RED-DOG
03-01-2014, 13:26
The AT Companion is all you will need.

lonehiker
03-01-2014, 13:29
Take either the AT Guide or the Companion, not both. You don't need the data book or the state guide books. That should clear up any confusion you have.

Crestview_hiker
03-01-2014, 13:45
Lonehikers advice is the perfect response.

WingedMonkey
03-01-2014, 14:20
I do not regret I carried them. Tore them up into the "sections" I expected to be in and had them in my mail drops.

But I understand that mail drops are now against all the rules.

Then again I backpack (even on a thru) to be in the woods and explore, not the other way around. Makes good reading at night or on breaks for the local fauna and history.

Would be nice if the clubs could still turn a buck and make them PDF or something for the modern times.

Seems the trend these days is to journal/blog your daily activities rather than to study the trail.

I've even bought a few for places I hike more often to replace some of the ones I tore up. Although I seldom carry them with me any more.

Sly
03-01-2014, 18:25
I do not regret I carried them. Tore them up into the "sections" I expected to be in and had them in my mail drops.

But I understand that mail drops are now against all the rules.

Please don't remind them, I send untold hours making up the AT Mailing Label site.

I agree with your assessment of the what hikers appear to be looking for and it's nothing more than raw data. Miles to make, miles to make. Lost may be the wonders that are actually around them.