PDA

View Full Version : REI Gimme Shelter

Baby Blue
09-12-2005, 11:34
Does anyone have any experience with this product? It looks interesting, I like the idea of the bathtub floor...

neo
09-12-2005, 13:50
i saw several gimme shelters at rei in the bargin bin,the sales person said a lot of people use them once and bring them back,they wiegh to much and are to bulky for what they offer:cool: neo

Bassline
09-12-2005, 16:05
I would not recommend them. Check out the Henry Shires or Six Moon Design products if you like that design at all. Much better products you could spend money on. The first time I saw this tent, I laughed a little.

neo
09-12-2005, 21:48
I would not recommend them. Check out the Henry Shires or Six Moon Design products if you like that design at all. Much better products you could spend money on. The first time I saw this tent, I laughed a little.
your right bassline,a commercial bad attempt at ultralight,the best gear are home grown how to's,henry shires tarptent,fanatic fringe,more than i have time to list,my personel favorite is jacks are better:cool: neo

JimSproul
09-13-2005, 13:49
I have used my Gimme shelter on three trips so far. Since I use a bivy, I do not use the floor. That puts the weight at just 22 oz. I find it sets tighter in bad weather than a standard square tarp. I travel solo so it gives me a bunch of space, which is why I like it better than my one-person tents.

I find the weight competitive with the MSR / Betamid tents which make a good comparison. The construction is first rate, the peak vent really helped on a raining night in Arkansas. Having a zippered door that is a nice luxury. I actually chose it over Integral Designs Silshelter for the door.

To each their own but at its current $79 price I think it is one heck of a deal.

I am always amazed by people who rate products based on a picture or a rumor. With REI you can try it and see if it works for you. The other guys don't do that.

Bassline
09-13-2005, 21:42
Jim, the difference between trying it out, and buying from a company like Henry Shires is the fact that you are buying from the guy who makes it. You are also supporting the little guy. Now, I am saying this as a former employee of a major retailer, and I loved working there. Also, I think it is safe to say that the companies that I listed are very reputable, and it is not just a rumor that you would be going off of. Also, from a thruhiking point of view, Shires is notorious for being very friendly. At the same time, if you are hesitant to give your business to a small company, I would encourage you to attend Trail Days next year. It would give you a great opportunity to experience these products first hand.

neo
09-13-2005, 22:21
I have used my Gimme shelter on three trips so far. Since I use a bivy, I do not use the floor. That puts the weight at just 22 oz. I find it sets tighter in bad weather than a standard square tarp. I travel solo so it gives me a bunch of space, which is why I like it better than my one-person tents.

I find the weight competitive with the MSR / Betamid tents which make a good comparison. The construction is first rate, the peak vent really helped on a raining night in Arkansas. Having a zippered door that is a nice luxury. I actually chose it over Integral Designs Silshelter for the door.

To each their own but at its current $79 price I think it is one heck of a deal.

I am always amazed by people who rate products based on a picture or a rumor. With REI you can try it and see if it works for you. The other guys don't do that.
you could not give me one of these gimme shelters:cool: neo

JimSproul
09-13-2005, 23:13
I doubt anybody will give you one!

I don't doubt that other gear, made by big and little companies is just dandy. I just can't see slamming a product you have never tried. We call that prejudice where I come from. You know how "Those people are..."

I have had good trips with lousy gear and lousy trips with good gear.

This tent is not perfect. I just said I have used it, on the trail, and that I like it. And it worked good for me. If I had a problem with a piece of gear I had USED I would say that too.

Why not try skipping trail days next year and hike somewhere! :banana

Baby Blue
09-14-2005, 00:14
Thank you for your opinions, everyone seems to have strong feelings here on whiteblaze about what they feel is the best way to do everything. But if you read my original post I was asking if anyone had experience with this product, not an opinion based on what they feel is the best piece of gear and what is lighter. I personally don't have ~$200 to spend on another piece of gear right now and was looking for another alternative to spending so much money. I hike with a partner so splitting the weight of the REI shelter 22oz & 15oz seemed like a good deal for shelter for 2 people. Thanks Jim for sharing your experience with this product. If anyone else has used it, I'd value thier input as well.

12hrsN2AT
09-14-2005, 00:17
I DREAM of being that rich to one day to be able to discard good equipment, even if he sold it on ebay and bought a new hammock would be more inteligent.
Greatest thing about hikers is there incredible ability to adapt and make things work, and for $79 I could make it work.

GIMME, GIMME SHELTER
IT'S JUST A SHOT AWAY
IT'S JUST A SHOT AWAY
Mick Jagger The Rolling Stones

Dances with Mice
09-14-2005, 06:46
I haven't used the REI Gimme, but it appears to be a slightly smaller version of the Black Diamond Betamid, which I have used many times and can describe the good and bad points of that comparatively designed tent, if you're interested.