PDA

View Full Version : What is this new passport thing

canoe
03-01-2014, 19:52
What is this passport thing used for. I seen some posting about the passport...but what is it?

Hill Ape
03-01-2014, 19:56
google camino passport, its where they got the idea from. basically, every hostel or significant site will have its own stamp, and will stamp your passport. the passport then becomes a souvenir. personally, i think they're trying too hard, but i'm sure some will eat it up with ice cream

bfayer
03-01-2014, 19:56
Its a marketing thing. It's like the National Parks passport, show up somewhere and get a stamp. I think the ATC gets a % on the sale of the books.

HikerMom58
03-01-2014, 19:57
It's like a souvenir for hiking the trail. Many places along the trail has a stamp for your passport book.

I like to complete tasks, so it would bother me if I didn't have all the stamps in the passport book. :mad:

rickb
03-01-2014, 19:59
Its a marketing thing. It's like the National Parks passport, show up somewhere and get a stamp. I think the ATC gets a % on the sale of the books.

They may be given a small donation by the people behind this.

Pedaling Fool
03-01-2014, 20:00
Sounds like the thru-hiker certificate:D

bfayer
03-01-2014, 20:04
They may be given a small donation by the people behind this.

You gave me a reason to look it up. This is from their webpage:

http://www.atpassport.com/All_Profits_to_Charity.html

All Profits from the sale of the AT Passport will be donated to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy whose mission is to preserve and manage the trail.

canoe
03-01-2014, 20:06
Thanks guys and girls. I sortta thought that is what it is

Hot Flash
03-01-2014, 20:07
I think it sounds like a fun idea for people who like that sort of thing. I think it's a nice touch that all the profits go to the Conservancy.

WingedMonkey
03-01-2014, 20:12
What is this passport thing used for. I seen some posting about the passport...but what is it?

This document makes for a truly memorable keepsake for both thru hikers and section hikers.

http://www.atpassport.com/AT_Passport_-_Home_Page.php

:banana

rickb
03-01-2014, 20:12
Does the ATC have a stamp in Harpers Ferry?

The answer to that question might be telling.

rickb
03-01-2014, 20:13
Yup, they do.

WingedMonkey
03-01-2014, 20:18
I can't wait 'till some wanna be thru-hiker stiffs The Place in Damascus and then asks for their passport stamped.

;)

canoe
03-01-2014, 20:18
http://www.atpassport.com/AT_Passport_-_Home_Page.php

:banana ROTFL Just too funny WM

canoe
03-01-2014, 20:20
Does the ATC have a stamp in Harpers Ferry?

The answer to that question might be telling. Yeah but dont most thrus go to the ATC anyway

Lone Wolf
03-01-2014, 23:08

a ripoff of the camino thing. already in damascus hikers are going to all the hostels and businesses that have a stamp but aren't spending money or time at them. when it gets busy it's gonna be a mess

Sarcasm the elf
03-01-2014, 23:20
a ripoff of the camino thing. already in damascus hikers are going to all the hostels and businesses that have a stamp but aren't spending money or time at them. when it gets busy it's gonna be a mess

How many of them have asked you for the Lone Wolf passport stamp so far?

Lone Wolf
03-01-2014, 23:24

none cuz mine would be for blue-blazing. they're all purists :cool:

ChinMusic
03-01-2014, 23:27
his stamp would be pithy

someone with the requisite skills needs to design one

Sarcasm the elf
03-01-2014, 23:32

I assumed it would have been a picture if a bulldozer demolishing a shelter. ;)

ChinMusic
03-02-2014, 00:08
I assumed it would have been a picture if a bulldozer demolishing a shelter. ;)

I'm thinking a beard demolishing a shelter.

Old Hillwalker
03-02-2014, 08:05
It's a copycat scheme with one major difference. On the Camino de Santiago the passport is required to be shown and stamped as a requirement for obtaining the Peregrino (Pilgrim) prices for meals, and to be able to stay in the Peregrino lodging. This is sporadically enforced however. Part of my upcoming backpack across the Pyrenees in Spain on the GR 11 involves two nights in Peregrino lodging. I will be obtaining a Peregrino passport as soon as I get to the location in France were I will be beginning my hike to insure hat I will be allowed to stay in Peregrino lodging for two nights. The last time I got a Peregrino passport it was a only 1 Euro donation.

rickb
03-02-2014, 08:14

Strange, since almost all the stamps are for places well off of the AT.

I recall wanting to "check off" a moose, a bear and a rattlesnake as I hiked south, and I also collected postage stamps as a kid, so I understand the psychology behind this.

Damn Yankee
03-02-2014, 08:48
Since I was a teenager(I'm 51 now)I have always dreamed of hiking the AT. Well, 2015 may be the year so, I bought one so as to have a documented book to go along with my written journal. I know to some it seems cheesy but, for me it will mean a lot and something to look at as I get to old to hike any more. Plus it helps the ATC and the price is reasonable.

double d
03-02-2014, 09:50
It seems pretty silly to me, especially after hiking for a period of time, the last thing I would think someone would want once they make a town is to get some stamp.

rocketsocks
03-02-2014, 10:37
Strange, since almost all the stamps are for places well off of the AT.

I recall wanting to "check off" a moose, a bear and a rattlesnake as I hiked south, and I also collected postage stamps as a kid, so I understand the psychology behind this.
I get it too, I use to be a collector of things, now I'm at a place in my life where that has become less important to me and am dissolving most of the things I collected. Should also add that collecting is a great way of learning things, either directly through the things we collect, or by the getting there and the journey along the way....I enjoyed collecting very much.

Last Call
03-02-2014, 12:54
I have mixed feelings on this passport. Who is requiring that you buy one to hike the Trail? Also, if you miss getting some of the stamps then what? Would you be required to re-hike those sections to get your badge after Katahdin?

bamboo bob
03-02-2014, 13:02
Forget about the passport. I want my own stamp!

Actually some hikers have ink stamps they use to sign shelter registers. Because it sure is a lot of trouble to sign a register.

Hill Ape
03-02-2014, 13:28
am i alone here? i never sign shelter registers, i don't read them for entertainment. i look at them, and think about all the hands that have touched them, usually right after a trip to the privy, and i swear i can see all the little norovirus' crawling around

HikerMom58
03-02-2014, 13:47
am i alone here? i never sign shelter registers, i don't read them for entertainment. i look at them, and think about all the hands that have touched them, usually right after a trip to the privy, and i swear i can see all the little norovirus' crawling around

I agree with you, Hill Ape.

The shelter registers was the first thing I wanted to look at when I stopped at a shelter. I loved to read them! Not so much anymore for the reason you mentioned. :( Ewww.....

Hill Ape
03-02-2014, 13:52
I have mixed feelings on this passport. Who is requiring that you buy one to hike the Trail? Also, if you miss getting some of the stamps then what? Would you be required to re-hike those sections to get your badge after Katahdin?

i don't think there is any requirement, in the same way you're not required to register as a thru hiker with the ATC. people do those things for their own reasons. some folk just go take a hike and never talk to anyone about it. i get the feeling this is only a marketing gimmick, and good luck to them with it. this isn't the slippery slope to "the man" intruding on the hikers. first time i hear papiere bitte though

4eyedbuzzard
03-02-2014, 13:58
Looks to me from the places that stamp it like a (somewhat gimmicky) way to acquire customers and drive revenues.

ALLEGHENY
03-02-2014, 14:11
My credit card statements where good enough for me.

LDog
03-02-2014, 14:40
Do they have a UL version?

Hill Ape
03-02-2014, 14:41
pages serves multiple purposes, TP, rolling paper, the possibilities are endless

ChinMusic
03-02-2014, 14:58
It seems pretty silly to me, especially after hiking for a period of time, the last thing I would think someone would want once they make a town is to get some stamp.
I like the idea but doubt I would participate. If someone gets added emjoyment out of it, it is a good thing. Same goes for photos, blogs, registers.

daddytwosticks
03-02-2014, 16:48
Show me your papers!

Some newbe's gonna think a passport is needed to hike the AT next. Like visiting other countries. :)

jeffmeh
03-02-2014, 16:59
If LW does provide a stamp, then I might actually consider it. :)

Doctari
03-02-2014, 18:21
Looks like it may be fun(ish) but adds yet another thing to carry, keep dry & get out when "Needed".
I checked the list of stamp locations,,,, only a few I would like to have, so would have them stamp my journal at the start of my entry for that day: "[STAMP] I got to Kincora yesterday, just in time for the PM ride to town. Pizza was great, as usual I ate too much." or something like that.
As I very strongly don't like the ATC, I have no problem with them not getting my money!!!!
I will however (if I chose to get a stamp) give a donation to whatever place I get a stamp at.