PDA

View Full Version : Irrational Fears

devil dog
03-02-2014, 00:04
Hey everyone, Kinda new here, however I've been hanging around for a while reading ... Although I have lots of experience with going backpacking and being outdoors alone, I can't seem to get over one of my most frustrating fears. Its totally irrational, and has always driven me nuts! Its my fear of running into other people (that may do harm in some way). Whether hiking my local trails or backpacking for three nights. My family thinks me nuts, as I am in the woods on a daily basis either hiking, mtn biking, snowshoeing or otherwise (so it is not debilitating) ... I am dying to know what other think, and what other people fear irrationally, and/or if some others have the same fear, while out in the woods... Take care everyone!

Feral Bill
03-02-2014, 00:09
For they particular fear, you might try ditching your TV.

gypsy97
03-02-2014, 01:10
I'm a little nervous at the thought of who or what I might encounter, but I think I'm way more afraid of mountain lions.

kayak karl
03-02-2014, 01:13
i have had the rangers call on me 5 times. homeless guy with dog in living in woods. most people are standoffish till they get to know me. do you have this problem on city streets too?

Sarcasm the elf
03-02-2014, 01:27
I'm a little nervous at the thought of who or what I might encounter, but I think I'm way more afraid of mountain lions.

I was going to say that fear of cougars is totally irrational, until I saw that you live in CA.

On the east coast I still have a slightly irrational fear of encountering a pack of coyotes solo or a particularly confrontational whitetail buck during the peak of the rut (seriously, the horny bastards will confront you and refuse to back down, I've had to veer off trail to walk around them on occasion). I've never encountered a moose, but supposedly they're just as bad and 8 times the size of the deer.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-02-2014, 01:42
Mice running across my face while i sleep in the shelter. So much so planning to stay out of them as much as possible. Have tried to figure out if I can rig something up to cover my face but still let me breathe in the event i really need to sleep in one.

Sarcasm the elf
03-02-2014, 01:49
Mice running across my face while i sleep in the shelter. So much so planning to stay out of them as much as possible. Have tried to figure out if I can rig something up to cover my face but still let me breathe in the event i really need to sleep in one.

I would call that more of a rational concern than an irrational fear. There are many threads on this site about the pros and cons of using shelters, if mice are something that you consider to be a major inconvenience, then you should consider using a tent or hammock instead.

Dogwood
03-02-2014, 02:57
Go see a doctor with a soft couch. May do you good. You even said you were being irrational.

whisper walking
03-02-2014, 07:12
Skunks. An encounter with a skunk sort of stays with you.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-02-2014, 08:56
I would call that more of a rational concern than an irrational fear. There are many threads on this site about the pros and cons of using shelters, if mice are something that you consider to be a major inconvenience, then you should consider using a tent or hammock instead.

I don't really mind them per say, I just don't want to wake up with one gnawing on my face :eek: I remember reading in one of the trail books ("A Walk In the Woods", maybe) how bad they were at some of the shelters and I have spent time trying to figure out a device that I can carry - dual purpose of course - that I can put in the opening of my sleeping bag that would prevent them from being able to get to my face but, as I said, still let me breathe (claustrophobic so can't pull the bag down over my face) if staying in a shelter is the best option given weather, etc. If you knew how I've laid at night trying to figure something out you'd understand. But, then again, maybe the mice aren't as bad as I envision - you know, little armies of mice, lined up at the ready for you to do the open mouth snoring thing so they can pop right in your mouth. {{{shutter}}} Okay, gotta stop thinking about this :o

Sarcasm the elf
03-02-2014, 09:18
I don't really mind them per say, I just don't want to wake up with one gnawing on my face :eek: I remember reading in one of the trail books ("A Walk In the Woods", maybe) how bad they were at some of the shelters and I have spent time trying to figure out a device that I can carry - dual purpose of course - that I can put in the opening of my sleeping bag that would prevent them from being able to get to my face but, as I said, still let me breathe (claustrophobic so can't pull the bag down over my face) if staying in a shelter is the best option given weather, etc. If you knew how I've laid at night trying to figure something out you'd understand. But, then again, maybe the mice aren't as bad as I envision - you know, little armies of mice, lined up at the ready for you to do the open mouth snoring thing so they can pop right in your mouth. {{{shutter}}} Okay, gotta stop thinking about this :o

Something like this?

4shot
03-02-2014, 09:48

Mice....yeeechhh. The very first night in the Springer Mtn. Shelter (did the approach trail) one bit my hair and pulled out a chunk (someone later told me that they do that to gather nesting materials). That soured me on shelters from then on. The best deterrent to mice is, as said above, tent or hammock. Don't keep your food in your tent either as mice have been known to chew into a tent to get at the food. I bear bagged almost every night because of this. Mice problems gets a little better when it warms up and the snakes appear.

Speaking of snakes, I saw two ginormous rattlers sunning themselves on the rocks that are loosely referred to as a trail in that state(Pa.). Both of them were within a mile of each other and just right before the 501 shelter iirc. For a couple of days afterwards, anytime a twig or branch rubbed up against my lower leg I would jump a little thinking I was being attacked by a giant rattler or black mamba or anaconda or the sort.

Other than snakes and mice, I really feared running out of TP.:) The one thing that I feared that I don't believe was irrational was descending some of the mountains up north in NE in the rain. That stuff was downright scary at times.

LAF
03-02-2014, 09:49
people on the city streets are a lot more frightening to me than anyone or anything I've ever encountered in the woods, or under water...so I spend little time in cities.

for me, the 2 things not to be afraid of: Living and Dying....as to the former, it's possible to go thru life and never truly experience it because of fear; and the latter, well it's inevitable that at least our physical self will cease to function at some point although the spirit may continue on. If you can get past the latter, the former will take care of itself. people in general are my irrational fear, but not the physical harm they can bring, it's the psychological damage they can do....your self-admitted irrational fear is evidence of that, even though not debilitating, it obviously weighs on you.....

HikerMom58
03-02-2014, 09:58
I understand your fear. I don't think it's irrational at all. Anything could happen in the woods.

It's only a problem when it keeps you doing what you really want to do. Fortunately, your fear hasn't kept you from doing what you enjoy. That's good.

I understand that you find your fear annoying, more than anything else.

Do what ever it takes that helps you feel comfortable.

-Talk therapy.
-Carry something with you that you feel would give you some protection.
-Take self defense classes

You are not alone with this fear. I've read journals of others that have this same feeling. There have been other threads started on this subject on WB. It's not uncommon at all.

I have this same fear myself. You are further along than I am, tho. I refused to hike alone. I can't do it. I live close to the trail. I like to check on shelters, in my area, for log book replacements, carrying out trash, check on water availability etc.. I will not go alone. I always have someone hiking in with me. Always.

I don't have any problem finding others to hike with me, so it works for me.

My fear doesn't keep me from doing what I enjoy.

Welcome to Whiteblaze devil dog!! :sun

rafe
03-02-2014, 09:59
Bad things have happened on the AT and mostly likely will again. Best advice I can offer is never camp near roads, or stay in shelters near roads. Learn to distinguish hikers from townies; it's really not that hard. Hikers can be trusted, and look out for one another, but townies are wildcards. When a strangers asks "where are you headed" (meaning, where are you staying tonight) offer the vaguest possible answer... and then put some miles on.

WingedMonkey
03-02-2014, 10:11
You know that it's irrational, your family knows that it is irrational. You know that you should seek professional help.

You will not get that online.

saltysack
03-02-2014, 10:14
Get a dog...best hiking partner ever! Don't cancel or complain! Dual purpose..also keep mice and bears away...http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/02/nu4ypuva.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perrymk
03-02-2014, 10:41
Get a dog...best hiking partner ever! Don't cancel or complain! Dual purpose..also keep mice and bears away...

When I hiked with a dog I noticed two things. People who were eyeing me in an unpleasant way (scary people?) would find a different direction to walk in. Fortunately this was rare. People, usually women, who might be eyeing me warily were immediately put at ease when they saw the dog.

map man
03-02-2014, 10:46
Some irrational fears: being killed and eaten by an alligator; being crushed and eaten by a big serpent like a python. I guess I won't be hiking certain parts of the Florida Trail anytime soon:rolleyes:.

devil dog
03-02-2014, 10:59
i have had the rangers call on me 5 times. homeless guy with dog in living in woods. most people are standoffish till they get to know me. do you have this problem on city streets too?

Kayak Karl - funny you say this ... my wife always reminds me that I AM the crazy, bearded guy walking around the woods by himself everyday! Ha Ha! Everyone's responses are so helpful in getting some feedback. Having grown up right outside NYC, the city does not scare me ... perhaps rational though should prevail and tell me to be more fearful of walking the city streets than the empty woods. :rolleyes: Having said all that, its high time I get my shoes on and go for a walk in the woods!

WingedMonkey
03-02-2014, 11:01
Being killed and eaten by an alligator. Being crushed and eaten by a big serpent like a python. I guess I won't be hiking certain parts of the Florida Trail anytime soon:rolleyes:.

So far the only alligatorsattacks olong the Florida Trail trail only bit arms off (and they weren't hiking).

Pythons eat alligators and alligators eat pythons, I'm rooting for the alligators.

:sun

Teacher & Snacktime
03-02-2014, 11:47
Hey everyone, Kinda new here, however I've been hanging around for a while reading ... Although I have lots of experience with going backpacking and being outdoors alone, I can't seem to get over one of my most frustrating fears. Its totally irrational, and has always driven me nuts! Its my fear of running into other people (that may do harm in some way). Whether hiking my local trails or backpacking for three nights. My family thinks me nuts, as I am in the woods on a daily basis either hiking, mtn biking, snowshoeing or otherwise (so it is not debilitating) ... I am dying to know what other think, and what other people fear irrationally, and/or if some others have the same fear, while out in the woods... Take care everyone!

First off, there's nothing irrational about this fear...certainly not when one considers where you live. Not maligning LINY here, but the fact is that the densely populated east coast has a high crime rate, and those subject to NY news stations have that fact driven home on a regular basis. The world can be a scary place, and it's the people that make it so.

Secondly, while it's a fear you perhaps are having trouble overcoming, you're not letting yourself be overly impeded by it. You're still planning to hike. Kudos to you.

Finally, the anecdote:

Snacktime and I were hiking from Milesburn Cabin to Woodrow Rd. in So Pa. Just after we were dropped off, and while we were Deet-ing up on the porch of the cabin, a car rode past, then stopped a short way up the road. The occupants didn't get out; they did nothing other than sit in the car. For whatever reason, paranoia bordering on panic set in. Fortunately Snacktime was not affected, but when I brought out my knife and stored it somewhere accessible, along with the pepperspray, he commented "You're worried about them?" To which I responded...."Don't mind me, kiddo....it's just Grandma being paranoid and overprotective." He had no problem with that concept and was unconcerned. (so at least one of us was being rational!)

When we started up the trail, I could see the car up the road with the passengers still inside. When we were about 100 feet in I heard the first door open...then the second...then shortly both doors and the trunk close. But no motor started. (OK....blood pressure RISING!) I turned to Snacktime and told him that I wanted to walk as fast as we could to avoid meeting strangers for a while, that I was feeling cranky and didn't really want to be friendly yet. If he questioned it, he didn't say, but just picked up his pace and we kept hiking.

Now us picking up our pace to put distance between us and trailing hikers is a ridiculous concept. At our fastest the most we could hope is to delay the point where we'd be overtaken by a small bit. We could always hear footfalls behind us, though we couldn't see anyone. They were advancing on us, but slowly, and I could not get it out of my head that they were in pursuit. So I kept my head down and focused on the trail.....and promptly walked smack into a giant human wall.

No, I didn't scream like a little girl...my voice is too deep for that....I howled like a....a petrified howling person! Then, with a huge...HUGE...sigh of relief I shouted...DAMMIT BUSHMAN....ANNOUNCE YOURSELF NEXT TIME!!!

Not three minutes later, as Snacktime, Bushman and I chatted about how his hike had been going since we'd seen him last, our pursuers came upon us. Hikers...2 average guys with day packs on a nice stroll in the woods. We greeted, and they moved on....nice guys, by the way. I felt like an idiot.

This was the one and only time I feared others on the trail. When those guys left, all the reassurances I'd received about the "friendly community" came crashing back, and they were all true. We had made a bunch of friends during our previous hikes...like Bushman...had handed out our magic bags and got to hear stories and had only received positive vibes from all we'd met. I'd had no reason for my New England xenophobia, but it had popped up nonetheless. I'd wasted all that time focusing on my feet and running away when I could have been leisurely appreciating the beautiful woods and time spent chatting with Snacktime. Idiot.

Anyway, I still carry a knife, and I still carry pepperspray, 'cause hey...it's not irrational to be aware of vulnerability, but foremost I carry confidence that those I meet on the trail will be like me...happy to be there and happy to meet others who share that joy.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-02-2014, 12:04
Something like this?

Elf, that is perfect!! Why couldn't I think of that one? (Irrational fear maybe?) All I could think of was one of those little net tent-like things they sell a the dollar store to put over your picnic food :-? Couldn't that have been a hoot. My trail name could have ended up being "Face Tent" or "Face Net" or "She who fears mice so much she wears a picnic net" :eek: And, it's dual purpose!! You've totally saved me Elf!!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-02-2014, 12:20
My husband, the eternal smartass, says you need to change your trailname to "wiener dog".....we get no respect! :D

devil dog
03-02-2014, 13:29
Teacher & Snacktime - your story hits the nail on the head! Exactly what I'm talking about and I'm sick of it! My first assumptions are always the irrational ones. Maybe your husbands on to something ...

HikerMom58
03-02-2014, 13:42
My husband didn't worry about my daughter hiking alone as nearly as much as I did. My daughter was fine with it. Not me so much.

Being female makes me feel more vulnerable for sure.

Living in VA may have something to do with it as well. There's been a few crimes that's happened in VA on the AT. :mad:

It would be interesting to see the stats on each state. I'm betting VA would not do so well.

Odd Man Out
03-02-2014, 15:11
There was a story on the CBS Sunday Morning news show today about why criticism sticks in your brain so long. They reported that Neuroscientists attribute this to a primitive part of the brain that is hard wired to react to and remember dangerous situations (caveman survival skill). It is my guess that some people have this more than others and it is just the way their brains are built. My wife is a terrible "back seat driver". She sees and alerts me to every potential threat (look out for that pedestrian, the driver of that car is distracted, that car has an out of state license plate and driver is probably lost, etc...). The fact that I have driven over a half a million miles with out an accident should be proof that these warnings are not really necessary. But she can't help it so the easiest thing is to just ignore her. But that is sometime hard to do.

steve0423
03-02-2014, 17:42

Woke up one night to find a mouse eating from the beard of a sleeping hiker. Maybe it just smelled like food? Maybe he was collecting materials for a nest. It made an impression on me regardless. I started carrying a little comb, washing my beard more often and staying out of shelters when practical.

BillyGr
03-02-2014, 20:08
Living in VA may have something to do with it as well. There's been a few crimes that's happened in VA on the AT. :mad:
It would be interesting to see the stats on each state. I'm betting VA would not do so well.

As long as VA has no more than 1/4 of the total crimes it's no worse than anywhere else (since the state also has about 1/4 the total trail miles). Although it could be a little higher, depending on what crimes are listed, as you might suspect a few extra small issues where there is a higher interaction of hikers with other people, as would seemingly happen in about 1/5 of VA (AKA Shenandoah)?

HikerMom58
03-02-2014, 21:07
As long as VA has no more than 1/4 of the total crimes it's no worse than anywhere else (since the state also has about 1/4 the total trail miles). Although it could be a little higher, depending on what crimes are listed, as you might suspect a few extra small issues where there is a higher interaction of hikers with other people, as would seemingly happen in about 1/5 of VA (AKA Shenandoah)?

VA has had it's share of AT crimes.

1981- Wapiti Shelter near Pearisburg. VA. A VA AT section had to be closed in 2008 because the same guy started shooting at some Fishermen at a campsite, near the AT.- Randall Lee Smith. (He's deceased)

Scott Lilly was in VA. (still don't know who did it)

A VT couple (not hikers) were randomly shot not far from VA 621, Craig Creek. (they still don't know who did it)

In 2008, a hiker was abducted in Daleville, VA. (He was caught)

The Shenandoah too.

Not long ago on WB, some hikers said they were threatened by a guy (in a truck) on a road crossing, near Catawba, VA. That was never reported.

Hiking in a group is best, IMHO. The Beauty Spot incident is proof of that... the gunman was subdued by the group of hikers present. That was just plain AWESOME!! :D

If you hike alone, stay alert!

Many hikers hike with dogs. That works well for some.

I could hike alone but it causes me stress. I just ask one of my hiking friends to hike with me.. it works!

Tuckahoe
03-02-2014, 21:32
There have been 12 murders and 2 attempted murders on the AT between 1974 and 2011.

Of the 12 murder victims 8 of them were part of a pair and the two attempted murder victims were also a pair.

Hiking in a group is in no way a guarantee of safety nor a deterrent to crime.

Malto
03-02-2014, 21:57
You can't rationalize irrational fears....... By definition.

rickb
03-02-2014, 22:19
There have been 12 murders and 2 attempted murders on the AT between 1974 and 2011.

Of the 12 murder victims 8 of them were part of a pair and the two attempted murder victims were also a pair.

Hiking in a group is in no way a guarantee of safety nor a deterrent to crime.

Of the 12 you mention, I think several were associated with the AT but not on actually it. That is a distinction that matters little to their families, of course.

Of those killed on the AT itself, 5 were thru hikers many hundreds of miles into their thru hikes, and one was a long distance section hiker. No northbound hiker who was hiking in the modern bubble has ever been targeted.

Odd Man Out
03-03-2014, 10:03
You can't rationalize irrational fears....... By definition.

+Agreed

This thread would be more interesting if it would stay away from using statistics to prove or disprove the legitimacy of a fear/concern.

HikerMom58
03-03-2014, 10:18
+Agreed

This thread would be more interesting if it would stay away from using statistics to prove or disprove the legitimacy of a fear/concern.

Agreed..

This thread would also be more interesting if it would stay away from using statistics & by reading more TJ's in addition to talking with AT hikers that can share their own personal experiences on the trail. I find that information far more valuable and interesting.

There wasn't any norovirus outbreak on the trail last year until actual hikers, on the trail, had to beat some people over the head with the facts.

q-tip
03-03-2014, 11:11
I lived in NYC for 5 years, can't get much worse than that for crazies. I did get kidnapped in India after leaving the airport, but was released unharmed, (No Kidding). Like they say, feel the fear and do it anyway, but being aware if the situation feels wrong, IT IS !!!

Tuckahoe
03-03-2014, 11:18
+Agreed

So true. And in turn those with irrational fears should refrain from giving advice based on their fears.

HikerMom58
03-03-2014, 11:40
So true. And in turn those with irrational fears should refrain from giving advice based on their fears.

I don't believe you have a right to tell anyone they should refrain from giving advice on this site.

If you go back to the original post you will see that HE asks this question....

"I am dying to know what other think, and what other people fear irrationally, and/or if some others have the same fear, while out in the woods... Take care everyone."

A few of us don't think that his fear is irrational and we have a right to express our opinion just as much as you do.

GO HOME!

devil dog
03-03-2014, 12:12
My new irrational fear is starting a thread about irrational fears which turns into a fight between others!:)

Oak88
03-03-2014, 12:14
Snakes, well its not irrational. Eastern Timber rattlers, water moccasins and Copper Heads were some of the snakes I encountered during last years thru hike. Photo by "Babyface" somewhere in PA on the Appalachian Trail July 23, 2013.

HikerMom58
03-03-2014, 12:17
My new irrational fear is starting a thread about irrational fears which turns into a fight between others!:)

Fighting is NEVER :) Jus sayin. :mad:

Teacher & Snacktime
03-03-2014, 12:18
VA has had it's share of AT crimes.

1981- Wapiti Shelter near Pearisburg. VA. A VA AT section had to be closed in 2008 because the same guy started shooting at some Fishermen at a campsite, near the AT.- Randall Lee Smith. (He's deceased)

Scott Lilly was in VA. (still don't know who did it)

A VT couple (not hikers) were randomly shot not far from VA 621, Craig Creek. (they still don't know who did it)

In 2008, a hiker was abducted in Daleville, VA. (He was caught)

The Shenandoah too.

Not long ago on WB, some hikers said they were threatened by a guy (in a truck) on a road crossing, near Catawba, VA. That was never reported.

Hiking in a group is best, IMHO. The Beauty Spot incident is proof of that... the gunman was subdued by the group of hikers present. That was just plain AWESOME!! :D

If you hike alone, stay alert!

Many hikers hike with dogs. That works well for some.

I could hike alone but it causes me stress. I just ask one of my hiking friends to hike with me.. it works!

Fingers in ears and eyes closed.....

"I am not listening to Jeffrey, I am not listening to Jeffrey, lalalalalalalala !!"

(10 pts to whomever can remember this one!)

WingedMonkey
03-03-2014, 12:28
If a child tells you he is afraid to sleep with the lights off, do you just say "That's OK, I'm afraid of the dark too"
Or do you tell him there is nothing to be afraid of and that there is no Freddy Krueger in the real world and turn off the TV.

If someone has a fear of ______ (fill in the blank, snakes, bears, spiders, wild hogs) why not give the the statistics that no one has been killed while hiking on the APPALACHIAN TRAIL by any of them.

Sure you can even read statistics to mean that if you are a section hiker, hiking alone almost any where but Virginia, you probably won't be killed or attacked my humans.

Or I can give a personal opinion and say that in thousands of miles of hiking I've never been killed or attacked by bears, snakes, spiders hogs, or men. So...it's not rational that you will be either.

BTW, I don't jump off of bridges or cliffs or swim under waterfalls or in cold lakes in Maine any more...that's stuff that might maim or kill me.

4shot
03-03-2014, 12:39
My new irrational fear is starting A thread about ANYTHING which turns into a fight between others!:)

ftfy. This place is simply amazing. Any relationship between the conversations on WB and those that take place while actually hiking is purely coincidental.:-?

Rain Man
03-03-2014, 12:44
I don't believe you have a right to tell anyone they should refrain from giving advice on this site.

If you go back to the original post you will see that HE asks this question....

"I am dying to know what other think, and what other people fear irrationally, and/or if some others have the same fear, while out in the woods... Take care everyone."

A few of us don't think that his fear is irrational and we have a right to express our opinion just as much as you do.

GO HOME!

But you might do it a little nicer?

Rain Man

Odd Man Out
03-03-2014, 12:45
...If someone has a fear of ______ (fill in the blank, snakes, bears, spiders, wild hogs) why not give the the statistics that no one has been killed while hiking on the APPALACHIAN TRAIL by any of them...

I used to think that way. But once again, you are using a rational argument to combat irrational fears, which I have come to believe is not a reasonable approach. I don't tend to have a lot of irrational fears, but I live and work with people who do and would like to understand the phenomenon from their perspective, rather than address it from my perspective.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-03-2014, 12:54

Unfortunately, this is not an irrational fear....it's a foregone conclusion.

I lived in NYC for 5 years, can't get much worse than that for crazies. I did get kidnapped in India after leaving the airport, but was released unharmed, (No Kidding). Like they say, feel the fear and do it anyway, but being aware if the situation feels wrong, IT IS !!!

Great...now I'm irrationally afraid of India....thanks!

HikerMom58
03-03-2014, 12:59
But you might do it a little nicer?

Rain Man

I hear ya Rain Man ... I'll keep trying to be nice. Be nice, be nice, be nice!!

I still love ya Tuck. I'm sorry for going off on you.

Tuckahoe
03-03-2014, 13:08
I hear ya Rain Man ... I'll keep trying to be nice. Be nice, be nice, be nice!!

I still love ya Tuck. I'm sorry for going off on you.

It's all good! :D

HikerMom58
03-03-2014, 13:18
It's all good! :D

Thanks Tuck.. :D

rickb
03-03-2014, 13:20
Five AT thru hikers (yes, thru hikers) and 1 long distance section hiker have been killed by a complete stranger on the trail.

Should one be afraid to hike knowing this? Of course not. That would be irrational.

By by the same token it would be irrational to dismiss that sad history as irrelevant.

When you are on the trail a while you think of it as your home, and (speaking for myself) accept situations that you might not in a less familiar place. You bed down next to ex cons without a second thought, ingratiate yourself to drugged up shelter-mates, and are genuinely accepting to people who are "off". Aren't we all, after all?

The irrational fear is that you will offend someone, or let your enlightened and open-minded self down somehow, by not trusting your gut and moving on, without hesitation.

Deer Hunter
03-03-2014, 13:36
Fingers in ears and eyes closed.....

"I am not listening to Jeffrey, I am not listening to Jeffrey, lalalalalalalala !!"

(10 pts to whomever can remember this one!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_RYIylWEp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_RYIylWEp4

Drybones
03-03-2014, 13:36
Get a dog...best hiking partner ever! Don't cancel or complain! Dual purpose..also keep mice and bears away...http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/02/nu4ypuva.jpg

Agree. I used to hike with a very large (108 lb) doberman until arthritis slowed him down and I never had to worry about anyone or any thing coming into camp uninvited, took him with me because he's my best buddy and he loved to hike, not for protection, just a side benefit.

Odd Man Out
03-03-2014, 14:08
My wife has an irrational fear of spiders. It's actually quite amazing. If she sees a completely harmless spider the size of a head of a pin across the room, I immediately and urgently get called into spider dispatching duty. How she even notices spiders from that far away is beyond me. It's really kind of remarkable. BTW, she loves to go camping (car camping - not physically able to do much hiking) so this fear doesn't stop her from enjoying the out of doors. Also, the fear is quite specific. She has no problem with insects or snakes or other creepy crawly things. Once I even asked how could she possible tell it was a spider. From that distance you couldn't possibly tell if it had 6 or 8 legs. She gave me the "don't ask" look, so I don't anymore.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-03-2014, 14:27
Ten points for dh !!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-03-2014, 14:28
My wife has an irrational fear of spiders. It's actually quite amazing. If she sees a completely harmless spider the size of a head of a pin across the room, I immediately and urgently get called into spider dispatching duty. How she even notices spiders from that far away is beyond me. It's really kind of remarkable. BTW, she loves to go camping (car camping - not physically able to do much hiking) so this fear doesn't stop her from enjoying the out of doors. Also, the fear is quite specific. She has no problem with insects or snakes or other creepy crawly things. Once I even asked how could she possible tell it was a spider. From that distance you couldn't possibly tell if it had 6 or 8 legs. She gave me the "don't ask" look, so I don't anymore.

Hmmm....I'd like to think I'd remember if we'd met....and CERTAINLY if I'd married you.....

HikerMom58
03-03-2014, 14:44

That's funny OMO... my daughter has a fear of spiders as well. She's not afraid of mice, bear or strange people on the trail. ( I got those covered for her ;)) She HATES spiders and has a real fear of them. I don't mind spiders at all.

I'm with you on not allowing our fears to keep us from doing what we really want to do. I have fears but yet, I don't let it stop me for doing what I really want to do. I find a way to make it happen. I also didn't let my fears stop my daughter from her desire to hike the trail. She had 100% support from me. Did I worry about her safety on the trail? Yes, sir, I did.

Here's a TJ of a person that was hiking near my daughter when she went out for the first time on the trail ALONE, in 2008. Part of the time she was with a group some of the time she was not. I read this trail journal (I was reading a few 2008 hiker's TJ's) when I knew she wasn't hiking with any one or any group. FYI.. she had a cell phone with her but I couldn't get a hold of her as I was reading this....I knew she hiking near here in PA.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=238371

These types of encounters will not show up in any reports that you can "look up" online. Just read and learn from them. As someone in this thread has already pointed out... don't camp near roads. Great advice!

My daughter has hiked 1,341 on the trail & has never run into a problem like this or anything close to this. I do know that weird/scary stuff happens on the trail.

takethisbread
03-03-2014, 15:05
I fear
-people in blue jeans
-men in kilts
-people who wear vibram toe shoes
-people with a guitar or ukelele or harmonica
-anyone with a. $600 pack or tent
-anyone with a Dale Earnhardt hat
-anyone with a hood less sweatshirt or a gun

Teacher & Snacktime
03-03-2014, 15:25
I fear
-people in blue jeans
-men in kilts

I'm sorry, but you're being irrational...ukuleles are harmless...oh wait, I forgot about the "El Kabong" factor....nevermind.

Hill Ape
03-03-2014, 15:48
I fear
-people in blue jeans
-men in kilts

but how do you feel about a barefoot naked man playing bagpipes wearing a bill elliot hat and packing all wal mart gear, and a slingshot

Teacher & Snacktime
03-03-2014, 16:18
but how do you feel about a barefoot naked man playing bagpipes wearing a bill elliot hat and packing all wal mart gear, and a slingshot

Silly...if h's wearing a Bill Elliot hat then he's not naked....

Sierra2015
03-03-2014, 17:40
I don't feel like any of my fears are irrational.

Deer Hunter
03-03-2014, 19:28
Ten points for dh !!

Yahtzee points I hope. :)

Drybones
03-03-2014, 19:43
I fear
-people in blue jeans
-men in kilts

The only one you should fear is the one with the Dale Earnhart hat...you damn sure don't want to see that guy in your rear view mirror.

Drybones
03-03-2014, 19:48

That's repulsive, I'd shoot anyone I saw wearing a Bill Elliot hat.

Sierra2015
03-03-2014, 19:49
I don't feel like any of my fears are irrational.
Actually... I have anxiety when there's nothing but wide open spaces.

Like plains.

I get creeped out by it.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-03-2014, 19:58
That's repulsive, I'd shoot anyone I saw wearing a Bill Elliot hat.

I suppose now I need to ask.....who's Bill Elliot?

Deer Hunter
03-03-2014, 20:05
I suppose now I need to ask.....who's Bill Elliot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Elliot :)

Teacher & Snacktime
03-03-2014, 20:06
Thanks, DH

likeahike
03-03-2014, 20:19
Sometimes I fear I'm being irrational, but then I get over it.

HikerMom58
03-03-2014, 20:31
Yahtzee points I hope. :)

Just wait.... Snacktime is going to kill us! :p He's been practicing!

Drybones
03-03-2014, 21:47
Go see a doctor with a soft couch. May do you good. You even said you were being irrational.

That's the last thing I'd do, those guys are in the business of treating you , not curing you, money would be better spent in a bar talking to the bar tender.

Foresight
03-03-2014, 22:54
Not sure if it's a fear or a loathing, but the mere mention of "diva cup" gives me the irrational heebie jeebies.

And Sierra90210, much like your "wide open anxiety" I have a "flat land anxiety". I spent 14 months in Florida and it was horrendous. Drove me damn nuts. I finally found a "hill" (picture more of a mound....) between Orlando and Tampa and often was the time that I would have to ride out there and look at it just to get my mind right again. Awful.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-03-2014, 23:35
I have a "flat land anxiety". I spent 14 months in Florida and it was horrendous. Drove me damn nuts. I finally found a "hill" (picture more of a mound....) between Orlando and Tampa and often was the time that I would have to ride out there and look at it just to get my mind right again. Awful.

The thought of living in the Midwest, or anywhere away from the ocean, makes me feel claustrophobic.

gollwoods
03-04-2014, 05:26
who is bill elliot?

Lone Wolf
03-04-2014, 05:30
who is bill elliot?

NASCAR driver from Georgia

Hill Ape
03-04-2014, 05:37
awesome bill from dawsonville

kayak karl
03-04-2014, 08:41
Get a dog...best hiking partner ever! Don't cancel or complain! Dual purpose..also keep mice and bears away...

Not a good reason to get a dog, get a dog because you want a companion (on and off trail), a family member and plan to take care of it for 15 years or so. not just for a hike!

saltysack
03-04-2014, 09:30
Not a good reason to get a dog, get a dog because you want a companion (on and off trail), a family member and plan to take care of it for 15 years or so. not just for a hike!

It was a joke....I would hope a person would look at the lifetime commitment of a dog or any pet! I wonder about myself sometimes..
2 dogs, 2 cats and an African grey parrot which live up to 70 years!!!

HikerMom58
03-04-2014, 09:40
It was a joke....I would hope a person would look at the lifetime commitment of a dog or any pet! I wonder about myself sometimes..
2 dogs, 2 cats and an African grey parrot which live up to 70 years!!!

Wow, that's a nice group of animals! :cool:. Someone carried a parrot on their hike in 2010. A hiker friend told me that he was welcomed to one the shelters in GA by a talking parrot. He said it was kinda bizarre but cool! :D

I can't believe I found the journal entry first try.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=303658

saltysack
03-04-2014, 10:46
Wow, that's a nice group of animals! :cool:. Someone carried a parrot on their hike in 2010. A hiker friend told me that he was welcomed to one the shelters in GA by a talking parrot. He said it was kinda bizarre but cool! :D

I can't believe I found the journal entry first try.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=303658

Ha I'll have to look that up ...a parrot on a thru hike....too funny

HikerMom58
03-04-2014, 11:01
Ha I'll have to look that up ...a parrot on a thru hike....too funny

Ha Ha!! Not sure if this lady made it very far with the parrot. I forgot to ask One Life about it when he stopped by my house after he finished his hike .... would be so cool if this lady made it all the way with the parrot. :)

saltysack
03-04-2014, 11:08
The bird would have picked up some interesting sounds....in the shelters..we really have to watch we say in front of him.. My wife is a germ freak w my kids now the birds says wash your hands to kids. He says over 100 words and makes tons of different animal sounds from barking, meowing, squawking like a sea gull and screeching like a hawk... Our neighbors love it when he's outside on our front deck ...

WingedMonkey
03-04-2014, 11:42
I had brewed tea every night on my thru-hike.

HikerMom58
03-04-2014, 12:04
The bird would have picked up some interesting sounds....in the shelters..we really have to watch we say in front of him.. My wife is a germ freak w my kids now the birds says wash your hands to kids. He says over 100 words and makes tons of different animal sounds from barking, meowing, squawking like a sea gull and screeching like a hawk... Our neighbors love it when he's outside on our front deck ...

I love it saltysack! I've always wanted a parrot that talks like that. So cool! :o) I'm sure that bird could say some interesting new sounds/words after "hiking" on the AT... LOL!

Sorry for the thread drift devil dog!

Drybones
03-04-2014, 13:43
The bird would have picked up some interesting sounds....in the shelters..

I can see it now, a farting parrot, could cause some embarrasment when everyone believes it's you.

Sierra2015
03-04-2014, 13:51
I've been trying to think of other things I'm irrationally afraid of.

Maybe politicians?

.... And then again... maybe not that irrational.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-04-2014, 13:55
I can see it now, a farting parrot, could cause some embarrasment when everyone believes it's you. Gaseous eruptions in a shelter....THAT'S TERRIFYING!!

flemdawg1
03-04-2014, 14:04
I love it saltysack! I've always wanted a parrot that talks like that. So cool! :o) I'm sure that bird could say some interesting new sounds/words after "hiking" on the AT... LOL!

Sorry for the thread drift devil dog!

I have fear, that if I owned a parrot, it would mostly say, "Shut the ^&*(& up."

Teacher & Snacktime
03-04-2014, 14:11
I have fear, that if I owned a parrot, it would mostly say, "Shut the ^&*(& up." I had small children for that......(Parental Screw-ups 101: They Repeat EVERYTHING!!!)

saltysack
03-04-2014, 15:06
I can see it now, a farting parrot, could cause some embarrasment when everyone believes it's you.

He actually does make Fart noises every morning....prob the worst is moaning noise he makes when he sees my wife. His cage was in our bed room lil too long...I can assure u he didn't hear it often :-)and now does it at first sight of my wife..... She gets so pissed...I can't stop laughing a year later...

Foresight
03-04-2014, 15:23
Daaaaaaahahahahahahaha!!!!

HikerMom58
03-04-2014, 16:04
I have fear, that if I owned a parrot, it would mostly say, "Shut the ^&*(& up."

Hear ya! :p

He actually does make Fart noises every morning....prob the worst is moaning noise he makes when he sees my wife. His cage was in our bed room lil too long...I can assure u he didn't hear it often :-)and now does it at first sight of my wife..... She gets so pissed...I can't stop laughing a year later...

Oh gezzz, saltysack! :D Foresight.. quit laughing! ;)

Foresight
03-04-2014, 16:14
Impossible, lol, I keep hearing in my head that damn parrot moaning the name salty sack.....lmao!

Special K
03-04-2014, 16:36
LOLOLOL!!!!! A MOANING parrot!! My laugh for the day!! But, are you sure she wasn't eating chocolate after you fell asleep???

saltysack
03-04-2014, 17:09
[QUOTE=Special K;1856973]LOLOLOL!!!!! A MOANING parrot!! My laugh for the day!! But, are you sure she wasn't eating chocolate after you fell asleep??

Haaaaaaaaaa...nope I'm on the ABC plan so I load up on Viagra and expresso ahead of time.....
ABC plan=
Anniversary
Birthday
Christmas

RockDoc
03-04-2014, 17:11
I knew someone who had a parrot with a very foul mouth.
As the parrot cursed on and on like a drunken sailor, the poor lady would shake her head and say "I don't know who taught him to talk like that".

Foresight
03-04-2014, 17:45
At least he wasn't buzzing.....

Special K
03-04-2014, 18:09
[QUOTE=Special K;1856973]LOLOLOL!!!!! A MOANING parrot!! My laugh for the day!! But, are you sure she wasn't eating chocolate after you fell asleep??

Haaaaaaaaaa...nope I'm on the ABC plan so I load up on Viagra and expresso ahead of time.....
ABC plan=
Anniversary
Birthday
Christmas

You forgot the "D". Da forth of July!! Imma guessin' that's the day the parrot heard the real FIREWORKS!!!!!!!!

saltysack
03-04-2014, 18:12
Haaaa D ....... Can't wait to tell her that... Up to 4 times s year....

saltysack
03-04-2014, 18:12
At least he wasn't buzzing.....

Batteries dead!!

Special K
03-04-2014, 18:15
Haa!! Yes, 4's a nice even number. 3 is just......IRRATIONAL!!!!!

Foresight
03-04-2014, 18:20
Batteries are your enemy....them and that damn bird, lol

Drybones
03-04-2014, 19:45

ABC plan=
Anniversary
Birthday
Christmas

You're lucky, I'm on the B plan, or was, not sure...will know next February 6.

HikerMom58
03-04-2014, 20:09
[QUOTE=saltysack;1856986]

You're lucky, I'm on the B plan, or was, not sure...will know next February 6.

Ha Ha!! Well, happy belated birthday Drybones! ;)

Teacher & Snacktime
03-04-2014, 20:48
Haa!! Yes, 4's a nice even number. 3 is just......IRRATIONAL!!!!!You've obviously never read Artemis Fowl....4 sounds like "death" in Chinese.....very unlucky

Theosus
03-04-2014, 21:18
Mice....yeeechhh.

Mice are nothing to take likely. Im not sure which has resulted in the death of more humans, mice or religion, but they're way up there together. Plague, Hantavirus, etc... nasty little buggers I wouldn't want in my food or on myself!

rafe
03-04-2014, 21:44
Mice are nothing to take likely. Im not sure which has resulted in the death of more humans, mice or religion, but they're way up there together. Plague, Hantavirus, etc... nasty little buggers I wouldn't want in my food or on myself!

Even so, I read somewhere that the animal that's killed the most humans is the mosquito.