PDA

View Full Version : Notable or Admirable Books on Thru Hiking/Hiking

SunnyWalker
03-02-2014, 11:32
Do you have a particular book on Thru Hiking/Hiking and Backpacking that you like and find inspirational and cool? Let's see the quote and give credit: Title, Author, Date, Publisher, Place of publishing, page number. Here is my offering of a remarkable book and author-

From Dances with Marmots: From Mexico to Canada Along the Pacific Crest Trail, by George Spearing, 2005; Magog Publishing, Oamaru, South Island, NZ; pp. 119-120. On why Spearing was thru hiking, "After a while, I wouldn't even try to explain. The fact they they had to ask that question meant that they would never be able to understand. I knew why. Every day was a physical and mental challenge, but every day I had a goal and a sense of achievement. Every day was spent in country where it felt like it meant something to be alive. Every day the vastness and remoteness of my surroundings brought home my insignificance and made me realize that I had no more right to life than a marmot, an ant or a rattlesnake. Every day reinforced the realization that it was the basic things that really mattered. Every day taught me to appreciate and be thankful for small things. And at the end of every day I was content and happy! And if that wasn't enough, to top it off, I'd been told that I wouldn't be able to do it. So for what they are worth, those are just seven reasons why I, "wanted to do that."

Chris Bosch
03-02-2014, 12:03
A Walk Across America 1 & 2 by Peter Jenkins were my inspiration. Carried something like 90 lbs for 30 mile days I think for book 1. I'll have to read yours while on the AT(leaving next week)!

rafe
03-02-2014, 12:12
Barefoot Sisters. (So far I've just read their sobo journal.) On The Beaten Path by Robert Alden Rubin. Bryson just for giggles. Jan Leitschuh's LT journal, "The Ordinary Adventurer." Cheryl Strayed's PCT journal, "Wild."

rocketsocks
03-02-2014, 12:15
A Walk Across America 1 & 2 by Peter Jenkins were my inspiration. Carried something like 90 lbs for 30 mile days I think for book 1. I'll have to read yours while on the AT(leaving next week)!
Those were the first two books I read on long distance hiking as well, almost thirty five years ago now. Great reads.

Nick P
03-02-2014, 13:32
Not inspirational, but certainly notable is Donald E. Davis' "where there are mountains: an environmental history of the southern Appalachians". He documents the human impact on the mountains, from Scottish farmers creating the balds of NC, to the devastating impact of the pre-civil war "iron boom". The rate at which flora and fauna are becoming less diverse should make up appreciate the corridor that is the AT.
enjoy

Venchka
03-02-2014, 13:39
Colin Fletcher. The complete works.

Wayne

Lone Wolf
03-02-2014, 14:54
A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson

Damn Yankee
03-02-2014, 18:56
"AWOL on the trail" by David Miller I believe. I am reading now and find it very matter of fact and to the point. Very entertaining and worth reading.

rickb
03-02-2014, 20:07
If anyone wants a hard cover copy of "On the Beaten path" in re-giftable condition and is willing to mail me a self-addressed UPS label with their UPS account or CC number for a padded envelope, it's yours. Let me know here and with a PM so I can give you my mailing address for the label.

Edit: If you want to go to the extra effort of sending me a self addressed and stamped envelope big enough for a standard size hard cover book that would work too.

Edit: Taken

The Scribe
03-02-2014, 20:15
Those were the first two books I read on long distance hiking as well, almost thirty five years ago now. Great reads.

I follow Peter on Facebook. He has a new book coming out this year I believe. Not walking/hiking. He took a vintage 57 Chevy and explored by car. Even went back to places in the original Walk books.

he.who.forgets
03-03-2014, 00:16
I like this line from Becoming Odyssaby Jennifer Pharr Davis; from the cover page of chapter 9 Oppression, "The scenic vistas of North Carolina and Tennessee make you feel like you're looking at a work of art, but crossing through the rural countryside of southwest Virgina and caressing the tall grass with your fingertips, you feel like you're part of the painting."