PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get my pack weight down...

meme
03-02-2014, 13:00
Heyo,

I am preparing for my thru-hike and having a lot of issues with getting my pack weight down. I just weighed my pack with an estimated 4 days worth of food and two full water containers minus maps, medicine, and a warm coat...and my pack is weighing in around just over 150 pounds...I weigh in just over 115 pounds.

I haven't been able to buy the lightest gear since a lot of it was given to me by my brother to use from his previous hiking (his were mostly just a few week trips at a time). I can barely afford this hike without the additional purchase of lighter gear...

I have been trying to "bulk up" to help combat the weight of my pack...but I am wondering if this just means that I will need to lessen my days between towns which frustrates me since the less I have to stop in town the less time and money I waste...

Also trying to debate in this last month before I leave whether to fork out the 300 + for a few pounds lighter tent...(not planning on doing the staying in shelters thing...)

The problem is also that I am allergic to down which means a heavier bag and jacket.

I don't think that I am packing anything unnecessary but any ideas or help would be great!

Last Call
03-02-2014, 13:05
That's a heckuva heavy pack....what is in it?

bamboo bob
03-02-2014, 13:12
This isn't a joke? If you really have 150 pounds you have way too much stuff.

4eyedbuzzard
03-02-2014, 13:12
150 lb pack is a bit heavy . . .
Oh, you mean your pack weighs 35 lbs. ? Assuming 150 lbs minus your weight of 115.
Yeah, take less and lighter stuff. But figuring 2 liters of water at approx 4 lbs plus 6 to 8 lbs food for 4 days equals 10 to 12 lbs, that gives you a base weight of 23 to 25 lbs. A little heavy, most probably come in at 18 to 20 lbs if they are starting when they might encounter 20 degree temperatures.
Post a gear list and a budget.

Feral Bill
03-02-2014, 13:18
I hope you mean 50 lbs, You should b able to lighten up without great cost. I suggest leaving out things altogether. You likely have vastly more clothing than needed, and could use a cheap tarp instead of a heavy tent. Look at the numerous gear list threads to see what others have done. Bulking up, if you mean adding fat, is just carrying extra weight.

Nick P
03-02-2014, 13:21
Your start date would be nice to know also. You'll get some useful advice once the experienced 2000 milers on here have all the relevant info.
Good luck!

AngelEyez
03-02-2014, 13:22
thinks need put up ur list and lets see i have only 1 down item and my clothing wights only coming in around 22, with food about 30 so 150 pack weight hummm....300 for a lighter tent thinks you can go alot cheaper then that most tent are coming in at 3-5 lb anyway

rafe
03-02-2014, 13:50
I'm hoping 150 lbs. is a typo. Seriously, it doesn't take too much money or effort to get down 25 lbs. base weight.

Slo-go'en
03-02-2014, 13:56
A 35 pound pack would be a bit heavy for someone who only weighs 115 pounds. You must be a skinny little thing :) But it really isn't so much how much you weigh, but how strong your legs and knees are. Bulking up isn't going to help that - hiking with a 35 pound pack will do that.

You really need to post a list of your gear so we can see if you got too much stuff or not and when your leaving. If you plan on starting soon, waiting until mid April would let you shead a lot of clothes and speed up your hike, since there will be less foul weather to deal with.

lonehiker
03-02-2014, 14:08
Her estimated start date is 1 Apr.

q-tip
03-02-2014, 16:25
I have a number of gear lists for UL, 3-season and cold, you might get some ideas from them. If you are interested, send me a PMwith your email and I will forward, Good Luck

daddytwosticks
03-02-2014, 16:34
If you pack weighs that much, go to the nearest Lowe's and get yourself a wheel barrow. That's the only way I'd be able to get a 150 pound pack down a trail...and that's if it's paved. :)

78owl
03-02-2014, 16:53
come on MEME, no way your pack ways 150. What the @#$( is in it ??? . As twosticks said get the wheel barrow ,you will need it. Hope you didn't forget the kitchen sink.

bigcranky
03-02-2014, 18:13
There's no way you could get a 150 pound pack up on your back, let alone carry it for even a short distance. I'm going to assume you meant 50 pounds, which is still darn heavy.

A northbound thru-hike of the AT, starting April 1, can be done with less than 50 pounds. Less than 30, even, with some care. One option is to just show up at Springer and start walking north, then on day 4 or so you'll be at the outfitter at Neels Gap. They can go through your pack with you and help you cut it down to size. That's a free service from some very experienced long distance hikers, and you don't have to buy anything. (You can also stop in before you head to Springer.) Another option is to post a list of what you are bringing, and we'll make some helpful suggestions :)

Toon
03-03-2014, 01:46
Just put your gear list on here and I'll tell you what you don't need. I just got my pack all finished up and its 19 pound base and I'm still trying to get it down to 15.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Toon
03-03-2014, 01:47
I did meet a section hiker in 2012 carrying 86 pounds but he was having a horrible time

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk