PDA

View Full Version : davenport to newfound

RF_ace
03-02-2014, 15:23
are there any reasonable shuttle services that run between davenport gap and newfound gap?

Slo-go'en
03-02-2014, 15:46
Standing Bear Farm would probably do it and is probably your only option. Of course, "reasonable" is a relative term when the round trip (for the driver) is about 100 miles and a couple of hours.

RF_ace
03-02-2014, 16:27
that also raises the next question; which is safer to leave my car at, newfound or davenport. i will be walking back to my car

excuses
03-02-2014, 16:58
You can walk a few miles extra and park at Standing Bear. Curtis can take you to newfound gap. that is only 2-3 days to hike.

Slo-go'en
03-02-2014, 17:04
You might as well leave your car at Standing Bear and get the ride back to NFG. That way you can leave at any time after arriving instead of possibly having to wait around for a ride back to your car and the additional delay the trip takes.

Malto
03-02-2014, 17:36
There are others beside standing bear farm. I used one off of here.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-2014-1-25.pdf

bigcranky
03-02-2014, 18:08
I'd leave a car at Standing Bear Farm and hike mostly downhill. It's a nice hike.

HooKooDooKu
03-02-2014, 22:53
If the choice is Davenport v. New Found Gap, I would pick New Found Gap just because it is a much higher traffic location. Otherwise, I have no additional input on the suggestion on Standing Bear Farm.

wornoutboots
03-03-2014, 01:20
I've parked at Standing Bear & NFG & had no troubles at either place. I;ve also had Standing Bear Shuttle me to NFG & had no problems. It's mnice to walk back to Standing Bear since you can stay in their bunkhouse or a cabin, shower & eat on the last night if you want to get an early start out the next day.

TNhiker
03-03-2014, 12:17
davenport is notorious for car break ins.....

kcnal
03-03-2014, 13:48
You might also consider parking at Big Creek Ranger station and starting at Newfound Gap. You'd still need the original transportation back to Newfound Gap but it's a convenient place to come out and I didn't have any issues there. You can either stay on the AT and backtrack to the Ranger Station or blue blaze to it and make up the AT mileage at will.

flemdawg1
03-04-2014, 14:09
You might also consider parking at Big Creek Ranger station and starting at Newfound Gap. You'd still need the original transportation back to Newfound Gap but it's a convenient place to come out and I didn't have any issues there. You can either stay on the AT and backtrack to the Ranger Station or blue blaze to it and make up the AT mileage at will.

There aren't actually any parking spots at Davenport Gap, it's just a trail crossing a narrow winding road. Parking is a mile down at the ranger station.

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2014, 15:50
Check with NOC-Gatlinburg.

Until April, US 441 is always iffy if it will be open or not if it snows.

RF_ace
03-04-2014, 17:00
it wouldnt be till april at the earliest. it looks like a good route, easily attainable milages between shelters

daddytwosticks
03-05-2014, 08:30
I'm doing Newfound Gap to the Big Creek Ranger Station via one of the side trails off the AT in mid-May. Seems like the safer, easier option. :)

kcnal
03-05-2014, 16:52
I'm doing Newfound Gap to the Big Creek Ranger Station via one of the side trails off the AT in mid-May. Seems like the safer, easier option. :)

That's the route I was alluding to that I did as well. It's a great hike...enjoy!

gollwoods
03-08-2014, 07:05
we had a shuttle pick us up at the rainbow falls trailhead and drop us at the big creek ranger station which will save an hour and some $$ on the shuttle plus you get to go to LeConte our shelters were cosby pecks and LeConte. the highlights of doing Leconte are the myrtle point and west point views and the hiker lunch at the lodge also rainbow falls

HooKooDooKu
03-10-2014, 17:36
You might also consider parking at Big Creek Ranger station and starting at Newfound Gap. You'd still need the original transportation back to Newfound Gap but it's a convenient place to come out and I didn't have any issues there. You can either stay on the AT and backtrack to the Ranger Station or blue blaze to it and make up the AT mileage at will.There aren't actually any parking spots at Davenport Gap, it's just a trail crossing a narrow winding road. Parking is a mile down at the ranger station.

First of all, where is the location that it gets reported that Davenport Gap has lots of break-ins?

The Big Creek Ranger Station?
Highway 32/Mt Sterling Rd where the AT crosses the park boundary near Davenport Shelter?
Parking Area on Waterville Rd under the bridge that crosses River at I-40?
Other?

If Big Creek Ranger Station is safe to park at, then you can either turn down Chestnut Branch Trail 3 mile shy of the park boundary, or if you want to go all the way to the park boundary, its is a 1.5 mile road walk back to Big Creek Ranger Station.

TNhiker
03-10-2014, 17:47
the small parking spot near davenport gap (and yes, there is a place to park there)......just a few yards from where the AT crosses the road...

i've never heard any problems at the ranger station.......

oh, and ive heard of problems at the bridge by the river......

basically, the two areas where the locals can access cars easier.......

fredmugs
03-11-2014, 08:11
I've parked at Newfound and at Standing Bear with no problems. The climb out of Davenport is nowhere near as tough as out of Fontana so I would go SOBO and enjoy the climb.

beaudetious
03-11-2014, 08:34
+1 for parking at SBF and having them shuttle you to NFG.

I would recommend starting at Clingman's Dome though. That's a great view to start your hike and going downhill back to you car will be a breeze. I did my first 20+ mile day on day 3 of a three day hike between Tricorner shelter and SBF and it was fast.