PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Spreadsheet

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-02-2014, 22:23
Thanks to a suggestion from Sierra 2015 and turgaer I've started a spreadsheet . So far I am at 12.5 lbs with my pack (4.5), my sleeping bag (2.1), my sleeping pad (1.4), my tent w/footprint (2.7) and a few smaller things - headlamp, poles, water filter. Big items still needed: stove, camera, clothes, and food and water of course. How does it looks like I'm doing so far or is it too soon to tell? Aiming for around 30 lbs. Don't want to end up with one weighing 150 lbs!!

Meriadoc
03-02-2014, 22:55
Definitely too soon to tell. What is your target? Do you have one?
But there are places to lighten:
Pack - 4.5 lbs is pretty heavy. What pack? Are you set on using this one?
Sleeping pad is also pretty heavy at 1.4 lbs. What pad? Are you set on using this one?
Tent could be lighter but it's not all that heavy.

To lighten your pack, you have the right idea.
Also, since you have time, I recommend using the following metric to decide what to purchase:
Cost / Amount of weight removed
Then start upgrading with the items that have the best (lowest) ratio of cost to weight removed. I used separate columns on my spreadsheet with different options for the upgrade.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-03-2014, 00:07
Definitely too soon to tell. What is your target? Do you have one?
But there are places to lighten:
Pack - 4.5 lbs is pretty heavy. What pack? Are you set on using this one?
Sleeping pad is also pretty heavy at 1.4 lbs. What pad? Are you set on using this one?
Tent could be lighter but it's not all that heavy.

To lighten your pack, you have the right idea.
Also, since you have time, I recommend using the following metric to decide what to purchase:
Cost / Amount of weight removed
Then start upgrading with the items that have the best (lowest) ratio of cost to weight removed. I used separate columns on my spreadsheet with different options for the upgrade.

Pack is REI Crestrail 65. It is very comfortable and kinda had to go in that direction because while I am 5'7" I am blessed with "short" torso. Had to go to an XS and adjust it down to below the lowest mark to get the correct fit. Two of the folks that helped me fit it at the REI I got it from had both done thru's in the past

Sleeping pad is the Therm A Rest NeoAir X-therm. The 77" one. I could go the next size down and save about 5 oz. For that matter I could go the regular length and save even more wt.

Tried the Fly Creek Platinum but didn't care for the style. Went with a Copper Spur on a recommendation. I like the style. i could go a little lighter for the same style with the new Hubba Hubba but don't know if i want to give up the extra inches for the ounces.

I kinda of went through a whole "I just want to be comfortable" phase. But after being on the site and reading a number of the threads I starting to feel like I need to give a little more thought to the effects the weight will have on the body down the trail. Thanks for the metric. Something to keep in mind with future purchases. Looks like I'll be adding a few more columns to that spreadsheet :)

Sierra2015
03-03-2014, 01:10
Is it too late to return the pack? ULA packs have great reviews and are almost half the weight. About $225.

What's your torso length?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-03-2014, 01:53
Well, with REI you have up to a year ( one of the reasons I like buying from them) and I bought it in October. No heavy use yet. So I wouldn't feel uncomfortable returning . And I don't know the actual length. Guy adjusted down twice, saying you got a real short torso. How do I measure for it?

Sierra2015
03-03-2014, 02:34
From the base of your neck (that protruding bone) to the top of your hips. I didn't watch this, but you can look around YouTube to confirm.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qvt29gv0X8

Hill Ape
03-03-2014, 02:45
C7 vertebrate, tuck in your chin while taking the measurement. hands on top of hip bones, point your thumbs at each other. use a cloth measuring tape, held against your body. measure from the C7 to the line of your thumbs.

Meriadoc
03-03-2014, 07:31
I kinda of went through a whole "I just want to be comfortable" phase. But after being on the site and reading a number of the threads I starting to feel like I need to give a little more thought to the effects the weight will have on the body down the trail.

If you want to lighten the load, it definitely makes sense to do it. But don't let us force you into something you don't want. If you are a spreadsheet person, great! If not, please don't let us stress you out over it. And don't be afraid to go with your gut either (after doing the research ;D).

When thru hiking, what is in your brain and soul matters a lot more than what is in your pack. Gear just makes it easier, and, depending on the person and existing conditions, sometimes a lot easier.

fredmugs
03-03-2014, 09:22
The only reason to have an XTherm is the extra warmth it provides so if that's what you're looking for I would stick with it regardless of weight savings. On a thru you'll appreciate being able to sleep comfortably.

Pack wise I would consider this: http://www.golite.com/Jam-70L-Pack-Unisex-P46813.aspx It comes is a "small" size. I own one of these myself and I'm very happy with it.

Sandy of PA
03-03-2014, 22:08
I love my large X-Therm the width really makes a difference. I am short so I shortened mine and resealed it with an iron. At 5'7" it would not save you enough wt. to lose the warranty.

rafe
03-03-2014, 22:40
I wonder what I oughta say that hasn't been said before... the weight's a bit high, but so what... You can get down to 7 lbs. for the basic-four without too much trouble

pack - 3 lbs // GG nimbus ozone
bag - 1.25 lbs (45 degrees) // MH phantom 45
tent - 2 lbs // tarptent rainbow
pad - .75 lb // Prolite 3S

That bag might be a bit light for the very start or end of a nobo thruhike so adjust accordingly. BTW, that's some ancient hardware up there (2007) so I'm sure what's out there now is even better. Just some ideas for ya.

Shonryu
03-06-2014, 01:11
I would def recommend a lighter pack. I personally use ULA packs and commercial brands like Granite Gear and Osprey. Since you got your pack at REI I would recommemd you use their return policy and that you check out the following packs. They may lack a lot of bells and whistles but eventually those oumces start to fell like pounds.

For these packs you will need to keep your base weight around 15lbs max to be comfortable.

Granite Gear Crown V60 2.2lbs - Awesome suspension and big volume pack.

Osprey Exos 46 2.5lbs not as much padding as the GG but some of the extras make it a nice contender.

Non commercial packs that I would recommemd
ULA CDT 19.3oz fully stripped down in a medium. My go to pack

ULA OHM 1.10lbs CDTs big brother and the load lifters are nice.

Zpacks Artic Blast 19oz with some add ons

kennajm
03-24-2014, 12:41
Osprey Exos 46 2.5lbs not as much padding as the GG but some of the extras make it a nice contender.

Picked up an Exos 58 Medium today. With an REI dividend and the extra 20% off it's a heck of a deal right now. Not to mention the fact that it's 2 oz's for 10 extra liters when compared to the 48.

Nooga
03-24-2014, 13:27
I love my large X-Therm the width really makes a difference. I am short so I shortened mine and resealed it with an iron. At 5'7" it would not save you enough wt. to lose the warranty.

I shortened mine as well. There's something about having gear dialed in with no extra….

Chubbs4U
03-24-2014, 15:10
Im sure that ULA would custom a pack for your size. Cant go wrong wit ULA