PDA

View Full Version : Blisters after 100 miles

Hiking2015
03-02-2014, 23:06
I have worn my hiking boots for about 100 miles over several hikes. The last hike I did ended up being on a paved path because of all the snow. I ended up with a blister on the padding below my big toe. I have never had any blisters before this. Any ideas of what would have caused it? I was wearing a new pair of wool socks but I always wear that kind of sock and the sock wasn't bunching up at all.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-02-2014, 23:22
Did this to the whole ball of my left foot having to hussle from one end of the St. Louis airport to the other to catch a connecting flight. The culpit I believe was that i usually wear double layered socks and this time i was not. ( I tend to twist my feet inward ever so slightly, pushing off on the ball of my foot when I walk fast ) Were you wearing sock liners? Maybe that would help if you weren't.

kayak karl
03-02-2014, 23:25
i have only gotten one blister in 5 years and it was on a 4 mile stretch of blacktop. i have no clue why.

ChinMusic
03-02-2014, 23:26
Pavement can be harder on the feet than the trail. Perfect repetition hits the same place over and over again. Once you feel a hot spot.......STOP. I then place a piece of duct tape over the hot area.

Entire thru "13 - zero blisters

nu2hike
03-03-2014, 10:57
I just hiked the Ocala National forest section of the Florida Trail and got blisters on the ball and heel of my right foot. I've hiked hundreds of miles in my trail runners without a blister! I believe the hot sand underneath my feet caused the blisters on the ball of my foot and the blisters on the heel were a result of compensating for the others!
I've no answers as to the why in your case but one thing I learned from my hike is that no matter how much you carry in the way of mole skin, band aides or tape carry twice as much! For me duct tape did not work! It caused more problems than it was worth! It would not stick to my feet once they started sweating! Kinesiology tape is worth it's weight in gold! Unfortunately I just didn't have enough. I will make certain that never happens again! :)

juma
03-03-2014, 19:19
all of you, get leukotape on the internet somewhere. tape up all the balls,sides, heels before you hike. it will last 3 days or more. replace as needed. blister is caused by sheer of one layer of skin disconnecting from another. pressure does it. hard surface, wet socks, big pack, big azz, climb, descent, tight shoes, are some of the causes. wear the tape. as you go along with it, your skin will strengthen and sheer less. I wear mens dress socks in warm weather above 32* and wool in lower temps. Light color rayon socks made from bamboo are just extremely comfortable. If you are nervous about such a light sock, wear two pair. another advantage is they will dry overnite if you sleep on them. rant off.