PDA

View Full Version : Where are the thru's in July?

hilltackler
03-03-2014, 11:58
Hey all,
Planning a my first solo section hike to finish up CT and end up near Route 22 in NY. I've been doing a lot of reading on this great forum and of course using the maps and guide books to make my travel plans. Before I venture on this trip I'm going to do a overnight solo on the AT in Harriman - which I've done alot but it's familiar and according to all that I have read, it makes sense to goto a place you sort of know.

I'm an experienced backpacker and have my gear dialed in but never done solo and I'm tired of waiting for my slug friends to get their crap together so we can start seriously section hiking the AT. So I've decided to start doing it on my own! I have 5 days to do my section ( approx 50 miles) I might finish early but I'm giving myself plenty of time to just enjoy it and factor in any unexpected slow downs, bad weather, tired etc.

My question...where are the thru's by late july? Will I be running into any or are they past me already?
Thanks for the input!
Hike on...

Slo-go'en
03-03-2014, 12:02
Thier spread out all over the place. There is a good chance you'll bump into a few.

Rain Man
03-03-2014, 12:24
Planning a my first solo section hike to finish up CT and end up near Route 22 in NY. ... My question...where are the thru's by late july? Will I be running into any or are they past me already?

For what it's worth in that neck of the woods, in '04 my daughter crossed the Bear Mountain Bridge over the Hudson River on July 4th.

Rain Man

Trance
03-03-2014, 12:24
Late July they should be in PA to like Vermont.

Odd Man Out
03-03-2014, 12:59
From this Article on hiking rates of successful thru-hikers:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?44

TABLE 3 -- Date Landmarks Were Reached

MEDIAN DAY ~~ MEAN DAY ~~~ LANDMARK
March 17............March 20...........Springer
March 25............March 28...........Georgia Border
April 1................April 5...............Fontana
April 28..............April 29..............Damascus
May 29..............May 28..............Waynesboro
June 9...............June 8...............Harpers Ferry
June 29.............June 27..............DWG
July 12..............July 10...............Kent
Aug. 5...............Aug. 2...............Glencliff
Aug. 15.............Aug. 12..............Gorham
Aug. 26.............Aug. 22..............Stratton
Sept. 9..............Sept. 4..............Katahdin!

takethisbread
03-03-2014, 14:49
I'll be kirkridge shelter in PA on the evening of July 1. on July 30 I'll be at Stoney Brook Shelter in vt. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seatbelt
03-03-2014, 16:31
Some will just be starting out....Oh, you meant NOBOS??:p

Starchild
03-03-2014, 17:22
Late July I was in NH, finished 9-1-13, so there were thru's about a month later so PA, anyone later would be a flip-flopper to complete.

hilltackler
03-03-2014, 17:23
Thanks to odd man out and others for the useful info.

jbwood5
03-03-2014, 18:18
I ran into several thru hikers in VT and NH last year in early-mid July. Every hut in the Whites I came to late in the day had the "work for stay" slots claimed. I was not entitled to one (not a thru), but if there were no thru hikers, LD section hikers are considered for 2nd choice.

As mentioned by Slo-go'en, they are spread out all over the place by July.

peakbagger
03-03-2014, 18:29
Gorham NH has a fair share of thru hikers for fourth of July but the main pack is August

lemon b
03-03-2014, 23:23
Good number in Ma. both SOBO and NOBO. Not what I'd call a bubble.

rafe
03-03-2014, 23:34
I ran into lots of nobos in VT first week in August; I was sobo from Hanover. I remember a mess of 'em on the summit of Bromley for the meteor shower.