PDA

View Full Version : Socks

HooKooDooKu
03-03-2014, 14:38
I don't recall seeing any recommendations lately on hiking socks.

Suggestions?... specifically HEAVY weight socks. I've used heavy weight socks in the past, and my current boots are sized based on heavy weight sock. I mistakenly used some mid-weight smart wool socks for a trip this past weekend, and I can tell I'm going to have to relegate them to camp/sleeping socks.

Seatbelt
03-03-2014, 14:49
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-81066.html

Seatbelt
03-03-2014, 14:50
Sorry, I thought this was more reent--I suppose you meant last month or so??

Meriadoc
03-03-2014, 18:45
Smartwool mountaineering socks fit the bill. I want to try Darn Tough's mountaineering socks.

ChinMusic
03-03-2014, 18:50
Darn Tough merino wool, Hiker 1/4 Sock Cushion.

I wear em year round, on and off the trail now. The perfect sock for trail runners or tennis shoes.

MikeD
03-03-2014, 19:01
Have tried many socks and I alway go back to Darn Tough and I also had a pair of heavy weight Fits that were great.

Doc Mike
03-03-2014, 19:10
Darn tough

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-03-2014, 19:15
Have tried many socks and I alway go back to Darn Tough and I also had a pair of heavy weight Fits that were great.

what about double-layered socks like Wright's. I got hooked on them with the 1st 1/2 I did. Got 2 pair of their merino wool hikers on sale to try them out. Very comfy and warm but a little too big in comparison to their cotton blend runner socks. Or is it better to go with liners as a second layer? What might the advantages be?

FarmerChef
03-03-2014, 19:16
Darn Tough - no contest. Worth every penny.

bert304
03-03-2014, 19:18
Smartwool PHD heavyweight

HooKooDooKu
03-03-2014, 19:27
Seems that several people like "Darn Tough". But which style is roughly equivalent to what others call "Heavy Weight" hiker? Darn Tough uses different terminology.

Drybones
03-03-2014, 19:40
I have Smartwool, Darn Tough, Ice Breaker, and several others, my favorite was the Ice Breakers...until I tried drying them too close to a fire last time out, looks like something melted and an open seam developed on the bottom....hated that, really liked those socks.

ChinMusic
03-03-2014, 19:51
I have Smartwool, Darn Tough, Ice Breaker, and several others, my favorite was the Ice Breakers....

I've had all three brands. I love Icebreaker shirts. I have found their socks wear out too quickly. I was a Smartwool fan for many, many years. I finally tried Darn Tough and will never go back.

kayak karl
03-03-2014, 20:05
Seems that several people like "Darn Tough". But which style is roughly equivalent to what others call "Heavy Weight" hiker? Darn Tough uses different terminology. i've asked that question in an old thread. never got an answer.

MuddyWaters
03-03-2014, 20:54
lightest thinnest socks I can find. If your footwear fits so poorly you need a thick sock to take up room, then good luck.

Odd Man Out
03-03-2014, 21:25
I only wear Darn Tough Socks. I have the "Hiker Cushion" socks, among others. They all so have a full cushion and an extra cushion if that's not thick enough for you. But they have have a full unconditional guarantee, so if they aren't right, send them back. From their web page:

Unconditional lifetime guarantee—simply and without strings or conditions: If our socks are not the most comfortable, durable and best fitting socks you have ever owned, return them for another pair, or your money back. No strings. No conditions. For life. ...If you were able to wear out a pair of Darn Tough socks, we’ll replace them. At any time.

lonehiker
03-03-2014, 22:39
From their web page:

Unconditional lifetime guarantee—simply and without strings or conditions: If our socks are not the most comfortable, durable and best fitting socks you have ever owned, return them for another pair, or your money back. No strings. No conditions. For life. ...If you were able to wear out a pair of Darn Tough socks, we’ll replace them. At any time.

If I get a 1,000 miles out of a pair of socks (which is about what I get out of DT socks), I don't have the heart to take them up on their guarantee. I would rather spend the $20 and buy a new pair.

ChinMusic
03-03-2014, 22:42
If I get a 1,000 miles out of a pair of socks (which is about what I get out of DT socks), I don't have the heart to take them up on their guarantee. I would rather spend the $20 and buy a new pair.

I agree. I think the 1000 miles is about what I am getting per pair. They are amazingly durable.

Odd Man Out
03-03-2014, 22:50

I was thinking he could just keep swapping pairs until he finds the right cushion level.

HooKooDooKu
03-03-2014, 23:08
Smartwool PHD heavyweight
Seems that several reviewers on Campmor state that the PHD Heavyweight are NOT!!!

daddytwosticks
03-04-2014, 08:24
I hike in trail runners. In warmer weather, I wear two pair of thin sock liners. Very cool and comfortable. Thin and light enough so that at the end of the day, you can rinse them out and they will dry very fast. No blisters using this method. In cooler weather, I just use a light to medium whatever brand synthetic sock. :)

tiptoe
03-04-2014, 11:25
Darn Tough is perfect for me, too. I have two pairs of quarter-height and one higher, not sure about the weight. But they fit snug (no blisters) and last forever. I wear them year-round, and not only for hiking.

HooKooDooKu
03-04-2014, 12:58
I finally decided to call Darn Tough's Customer Service.

While looking at their website for Men's Hiker Socks (http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-trek), the CSR said to click on the green question mark on the left. That slides out a sock Height & Cushion chart. Their levels of Cushioning (in order) are known as "Ultra-Light", "Light", "Light Cushion", "Cushion", "Full Cushion" and "Extra Cushion".

In talking with the CSR, it was suggested that a "Cushion" level should be about equivalent to a Smart-Wool Mid-Weight sock.

The only "Extra Cushion" hiking sock they have is the "Mountaineering Over-the-Calf Extra Cushion". But the CSR said the combination of thickness and sock height means that sock isn't really designed for 3-season use. His suggestion was that I try the "Boot Sock Full Cushion" (a crew level sock) for a heavy 3-season sock.

I've got two pair on order now.

Starvin Marvin
03-04-2014, 14:13
I use Darn Tough and Lor Pen. The Lor Pen s are holding up and performing just as well as the Darn Tough brand, although, no lifetime warranty.

Sierra2015
03-05-2014, 04:31
I only wear Darn Tough Socks. I have the "Hiker Cushion" socks, among others. They all so have a full cushion and an extra cushion if that's not thick enough for you. But they have have a full unconditional guarantee, so if they aren't right, send them back. From their web page:

A guarantee like that makes me want to stay loyal.

I'll have to buy some of their socks....