PDA

View Full Version : Is starting the trail at Springer Mountain cheating?

Fletchlives1234
03-03-2014, 14:51
Just spoken to a guy called Survivor Dave and he informed me that the offical start to the trail is at Springer and Amicalola falls is just the approach. He said that there are 100's of steps on the approach and do I really want to get my arse kicked on the first day. When it's not even part of the AT!

How many peeps start directly at Springer v's Amicalola falls? Any advice on the best way to start as I will be coming from the Uk would be much appreciated.

I thought it best to stay in Atlanta / North Springs for my first night before heading off to either the Hiker hostel / the trail. Any good recomendations??

Kind Regards,

Fletchlives

The Solemates
03-03-2014, 14:58
Starting at springer is cheating. you won't get your medal.

4eyedbuzzard
03-03-2014, 15:01
Honestly, you're contemplating thru-hiking and are worried about having to hike uphill? You're going to basically get your arse kicked - or not - anyway within the first few days.

Hill Ape
03-03-2014, 15:08
only sissies don't climb the 600 stairs and pass under the arch, there are warnings for those with heart conditions. you're not a sissy are you?! ;-)

seriously, the view is worth it, and you may realize you hate climbing, better sooner than later. but there are alternatives as well, there is a road to the top of the falls, puts you at the beginning of the approach trail (don't underestimate that 8 miles either) or fs 42 to the base of springer, backtrack to the peak to "touch" the first blaze, and start your thru

SouthMark
03-03-2014, 15:21
Bull$hit, it is not part of the trail. It is not required to complete the trail and receive the 2000 miler patch and certificate. It is entirely up to the individual whether they want to hike it or not. In the overall scheme of things it's not much but don't let the macho attitude of some influence you. It has absolutely nothing to do with being a sissy or not. It's kind of like running a marathon and starting a mile behind the starting line. Hike Your Own Hike, not anyone else's idea of the hike.

Wolf - 23000
03-03-2014, 15:26
The official starts or end of the AT is the top of Springer Mountain. Yes Amicalola Falls is a side trail to the AT. It is also a very beautiful trail, well worth the hike up. If you hike a few extra miles big deal. It will take a couple hours to hike up. It boils down to what is your goal for hiking the AT. Is it to walk from Springer Mount to Mount Katahdin or is it to hike in the woods. I know several hikers that spent some extra $$$ just to avoid hiking what use to be the old AT.

The Amicalola Falls Trail use to be the official AT. This is back when Earl Shaffer hiked the trail when the trail officially started on the top of Mount Oglethorpe - just south of Springer Mt.

Wolf

Hill Ape
03-03-2014, 15:32
ok, for the record, i was commenting sarcastically... my most sincere apologies to anyone offended by my feeble attempt at humor

Slo-go'en
03-03-2014, 15:34
I hiked the approch trail but started at the lodge so I skipped climbing up the falls.

Rather then staying at the hiker hostel or in Atlanta, you could have Dave drive you up to the Amicalola falls lodge and stay there. If you get there early enough, hike the falls just to streach your legs. The next day hike up the approch from the lodge (however, it is a little tricky to find the trail from the lodge, I wandered around for a good 10 minutes before I found it).

From the lodge, the rest of the approch trail is a fairly gental up hill climb and is a pleasent walk. I'd do it again.

Mags
03-03-2014, 15:37
Much like a bad cold, this thread pops up a lot. :)

I honestly think this is the best answer: What is the best for the person driving you to the start of your hike?

If they want a pleasant drive with easy logistics, hike the extra 3-4 hrs and enjoy a classic hike up to Springer Mtn.

If your driver wants to see the start of the historic Appalachian Trail, then go to US42 (if the road is open).

Lone Wolf
03-03-2014, 15:40
Just spoken to a guy called Survivor Dave and he informed me that the offical start to the trail is at Springer it's not a test so there is no "cheating". the official AT starts/ends at Springer

Sierra2015
03-03-2014, 15:41
ok, for the record, i was commenting sarcastically... my most sincere apologies to anyone offended by my feeble attempt at humor
I saw the wink. ;)

To the OP: In the end I don't think it matters what you do, you're going to get your ass kicked countless times and one +/- day of ass kicking is insignificant. But if you want to squeeze in an extra experience then you might just want to hike it.

lonehiker
03-03-2014, 15:43
It is not cheating. Springer is the southern terminus.

Feral Bill
03-03-2014, 15:46
So, do SOBOs hike down the approach trail?

Toon
03-03-2014, 15:49
The approach trail has the best views till blood mountain I wouldn't miss it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf
03-03-2014, 15:51
The approach trail has the best views till blood mountain I wouldn't miss it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalkreally? where are they?

SouthMark
03-03-2014, 15:54
Sorry Hill Ape, I missed the wink.

SouthMark
03-03-2014, 15:55
Good one Bill.

Deadeye
03-03-2014, 15:57

That would be the departure trail!

Lone Wolf
03-03-2014, 15:57

not all of them

ALLEGHENY
03-03-2014, 15:58

Up Katahdin to Baxter Peak.

HikerMom58
03-03-2014, 15:58
Sorry Hill Ape, I missed the wink.

I'm tellin ya.. those emoticons are important! ;)

Hill Ape
03-03-2014, 16:10
I'm tellin ya.. those emoticons are important! ;)

oh well aren't you ladies talented, next you'll be using a dancing banana, i emot the old fashioned way, i type it out... just don't ask me to write cursive, i look illiterate

WingedMonkey
03-03-2014, 16:10
Just spoken to a guy called Survivor Dave and he informed me that the offical start to the trail is at Springer and Amicalola falls is just the approach. He said that there are 100's of steps on the approach and do I really want to get my arse kicked on the first day. When it's not even part of the AT!

How many peeps start directly at Springer v's Amicalola falls? Any advice on the best way to start as I will be coming from the Uk would be much appreciated.

I thought it best to stay in Atlanta / North Springs for my first night before heading off to either the Hiker hostel / the trail. Any good recomendations??

Kind Regards,

Fletchlives

You will find few if any thru-hikers that actually made it all the way to Katahdin complain about how the southern approach trail ruined their thru hike.

I'd ignore people who just read about it some where and then give advice.

Don H
03-03-2014, 16:19
In fact it isn't even a topic of discussion after the first few days on the trail. No one really cares if you hike it or not.

SunnyWalker
03-03-2014, 16:24
No. Somewhat traditional to start at Amicolola Falls but hundreds if not thousands of hikers just start or end at top of Springer Mtn. THAT is the official start/end. Have a great time you are in for the most fun and enjoyable and learning experience of your life.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2014, 16:27

Kind Regards,

Fletchlivesstay at the Hiker Hostel and take their shuttle to the base of Springer

HikerMom58
03-03-2014, 16:28
No. Somewhat traditional to start at Amicolola Falls but hundreds if not thousands of hikers just start or end at top of Springer Mtn. THAT is the official start/end. Have a great time you are in for the most fun and enjoyable and learning experience of your life.

I second this! :>)

This is one's for Hill Ape. ;P

Toon
03-03-2014, 16:31
really? where are they?

Mainly the falls that was a great little hike up the stairs I loved that whole section

peakbagger
03-03-2014, 16:31
I guess it will all come down to where the first official rubber stamp is for the AT passport.:rolleyes:

LAF
03-03-2014, 17:20
it's a personal choice and always a heated debate amongst some; what counts is how you feel about it. As far as the "official" AT goes, it's not part of it so there is no "cheating". For me, I repeat, for me, it is starting off on the wrong foot. I can't start at the top of a mountain, I need to walk up it. If I'm questioning <9 miles out of a trek of 2185, well,....an if the first 9 is gonna kick my arse then what are the 2185 to follow gonna do to it. The Appalachians may not be high but there's a lot of ruggedness in them thar hills :)

Just do what's right for you!!! God knows I'm not there to judge and I doubt anyone here is gonna judge either regardless of your choice, it is all good.

Dunno when you're starting but hopefully see you out there. I'll be staying at the hiker hostel and stepping onto the approach on 25-Mar, trail name is lostandfound, aka laf

WingedMonkey
03-03-2014, 17:22
I guess it will all come down to where the first official rubber stamp is for the AT passport.:rolleyes:

In that case the trail starts a Hiker Hostel.

kayak karl
03-03-2014, 17:30
your coming from the UK! See all you can see, do all you can do!......or not.:-?

scope
03-03-2014, 17:37
Most folks who start at Springer get their ax kicked on Sassafras Mt., which is a steeper climb, but only a mile. The approach is mostly a mild uphill, but at 8 miles, its a long slog. Do the approach and Sassafras will be over before your second curseword.

p.s. I love the arch at Amicalola which just seems to me a great place to start; however, there truly is no redeeming value to doing the steps that lead from there up to the top of the falls, at least not with a pack on. Hundreds of non-hikers do it every weekend, its just not a very legitimate part of the "Approach Trail" IMO; if you do the approach, drive to the top of the falls and have that be your beginning photo op.

Starchild
03-03-2014, 17:38
If you want to hike Springer Mountain hike the Approach Trail,
If you want to Hike Katahdin, Hike the AT from the trail head of Springer Mtn.
If you want to hike Baxter Peak go to Baxter State Park and chose a trailhead to summit Baxter Peak.

rafe
03-03-2014, 17:48
I hiked the approach trail mainly because I just didn't know about the forest service road that goes up (almost) to Springer summit. I gratefully accepted a lift to the top of the falls and camped there my first night, then hiked the seven or eight miles to Springer on day one. It was a nice day and a pleasant hike, and still left time to hike to Stove Creek shelter before with plenty of daylight to spare. No regrets -- aside from maybe missing the hike up the falls.

kayak karl
03-03-2014, 17:52
sassafras mt., which is a steeper climb, but only a mile. it was only a mile :(

RED-DOG
03-03-2014, 18:08
I have always hiked the approach trail on all my thru's and i don't have any complaints about it if anything it added to my overall experience, but all in all it's up to the individual hiker to make that decision, for me it was basically just the ease of it, getting dropped off at the ranger station, weighing my pack, sign in and start walking from their. but if you are really worried about those 8.8 miles kicking your ass maybe you need to re-think the idea of thru-hiking, cause the AT is the single most hardest thing i have ever done in my life and i have done it three times and thats no BS, It only gets HARDER from Springer MT north.

scope
03-03-2014, 18:13
it was only a mile :(

LOL, yep, but that whole section is very up and down, before and after Sassafras, making it seem worse.

Pedaling Fool
03-03-2014, 18:24
It's cheating only if you're a real hiker; otherwise don't worry about it.

m_factor
03-03-2014, 18:39
I've started hikes at both Amicalola and Springer Mountain. I enjoyed the approach trail and seeing Amicalola Falls was a nice way to get going. That said, it is "extra" miles. If you do get driven up the Forest Service road, the summit of Springer is about a mile SOUTH. Don't forget to go visit the summit before you start hiking north.

If you want to read more about whether or not to hike the approach trail, check out my web page devoted to the topic: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/ATapproach.html

Hill Ape
03-03-2014, 18:40
i did it in diapers, before the stairs, and yes thats a toothbrush, no i don't know why. isn't my mother beautiful, no wonder i was so cute. :banana

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=59072&c=712

dunno why i don't have permission to post an image

Sierra2015
03-03-2014, 18:48
i did it in diapers, before the stairs, and yes thats a toothbrush, no i don't know why. isn't my mother beautiful, no wonder i was so cute. :banana

You're so cute! I want to just eat that face!

Meriadoc
03-03-2014, 18:53
Definitely cheating. They don't let thru hikers into Baxter unless they have the documentation to prove their hikes started at Amicalola. ;P

(At least half the thrus I know skipped Amicalola. It all depends how you feel about it.)

Last Call
03-03-2014, 19:00
Folks that climb Mt. Everest don't skip base camp, do they?

Capt Nat
03-03-2014, 19:49
Even that feller who parachuted onto the top of Springer had to hike the approach back to the base of the falls, turn around and walk back to Springer...

HikerMom58
03-03-2014, 20:38
You're so cute! I want to just eat that face!

I know right? What a cutie! ;) Your mother is very beautiful too , Hill Ape! :>)

Almost There
03-03-2014, 20:38
stay at the Hiker Hostel and take their shuttle to the base of Springer

Agree with Wolf, I live down here, and have done it a few times. (BTW, Survivor Dave is a trail provider down in Georgia, not some web lurker). It's tough if you're out of shape and carrying too much gear...especially the stairs. Was up on Springer yesterday with my boys, and ended up taking a lady down off the mountain who hurt herself going up the approach...she had a couple health issues. Starting from 42 up to Springer definitely makes for an easier first day, but to each his own. Do what you want.

Personally I hike for me, and don't really give a krap what others think. You're gonna do what you want anyways, I would hope...do you really care what we, the esteemed morons of Whiteblaze think? :banana

MuddyWaters
03-03-2014, 21:08
Everyones hike is different. No one does all the exact same things.
Do what YOU want to do.

But , dont be scared of the approach trail, or the stairs. They are nothing to be worried about. Its standard southern AT terrain, no more, no less.

I can see it being a wake-up call for out of shape people with 50 lb packs. But they will have to wake up tomorrow if they dont wake up today so that doesnt make a bit of difference.

The falls are probably the best thing to see in GA as well.

Ender
03-03-2014, 21:16

That is a great photo! What year was this? I have photos of my folks similarly dressed and bespectacled.

bamboo bob
03-03-2014, 21:17
I've done both. It simply doesn't matter. BUT if I did it again. I would start up top.

LDog
03-04-2014, 00:16

Right! Cause if you don't have the Amicalola Falls stamp, they won't give you a 2000 miler certificate!

[snerk]

Hill Ape
03-04-2014, 04:49
That is a great photo! What year was this? I have photos of my folks similarly dressed and bespectacled.

73-75 probably, i look pretty small and fat. i've never been able to figure out the toothbrush, maybe i chewed on it for teething. mom tells me i always had to carry something, random things, would spend an hour picking out the perfect twig, would pitch hell fits if anyone tried to help me do anything. they just started letting me do whatever. i wish the dog was in the picture. she was my nanny, raised me right.

Ostrogoth
03-04-2014, 17:32
My vote is to forget-about the approach because you'll be 20 miles ahead on the first day your lordship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sierra2015
03-05-2014, 04:18
I know right? What a cutie! ;) Your mother is very beautiful too , Hill Ape! :>)
*Om nom nom* Commence baby face consumption!

(Side note: why do women become so aggressive at the sight of cuteness?)

Spirit Walker
03-05-2014, 12:07
I've done it both ways. The biggest issue is your driver. On my two thruhikes, I took a cab from Gainesville and the drivers both took me to Amicalola. The first time I didn't know about FR 42. On the second hike, I was told that the road was closed, which wasn't true. He just didn't want to drive that far. It's a very long drive on poor roads to the trailhead. A few years ago, we hiked from Springer to Franklin and a friend drove us to the top of the mountain. It's nice to have only a short walk to the start of the trail, especially if you arrive late in the day. But it took us a couple of extra hours to make the journey. If you are relying on public transportation, you may not have an option. If you get a shuttle from a local, they may be willing to drive you to the top, but it will probably cost extra because of the added time and distance.

As to the hike - it's only 8 miles. Given the length of the trail, that's nothing.

Old Man Joe
03-05-2014, 14:14
Yup, starting at Springer is cheating. If you don't start at the tip of Key West, Florida you ain't doing it right.

jockellis
03-06-2014, 10:38
On March 2, FS42 was not only open but in great shape. Personally, I hate steps up a mountain because it tires my legs. But Amicolola is a great view while the rest of Georgia's AT hike offers little more than the underside of tree limbs.
While Bill Bryson was tramping through the snow in '96, I, as the reporter for the newspaper there, The Dawson County Advertiser, was sliding my wife's Toyota over the nearby mountains while looking for good photos. I've seen enough of the neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmilkman
03-14-2014, 22:37

Kind Regards,

Fletchlives

It doesn't matter. It may not be the "official" start, but here's the REAL start.

Toon
03-14-2014, 23:14
I hiked the approch trail but started at the lodge so I skipped climbing up the falls.

Rather then staying at the hiker hostel or in Atlanta, you could have Dave drive you up to the Amicalola falls lodge and stay there. If you get there early enough, hike the falls just to streach your legs. The next day hike up the approch from the lodge (however, it is a little tricky to find the trail from the lodge, I wandered around for a good 10 minutes before I found it).

From the lodge, the rest of the approch trail is a fairly gental up hill climb and is a pleasent walk. I'd do it again.

I got a camp site in the park. Did exactly what Slo-go'en said. Hike the stairs with no bag the night before it took about 20 minutes. Then you start above the stairs it's a really great spot to start in the morning.

HikerMom58
03-14-2014, 23:24
I got a camp site in the park. Did exactly what Slo-go'en said. Hike the stairs with no bag the night before it took about 20 minutes. Then you start above the stairs it's a really great spot to start in the morning.

Perfect Toon... that's how I would do it too! :) I think it would be a nice way to "warm up".

Slo is right about having a hard time finding the trail from the lodge. We wanted to walk up the trail for a short while with "the girl". :D We looked & looked for the trail & finally found it. That was in April of 2010... WOW! Time flies!

Storm
03-15-2014, 09:42
It doesn't matter. It may not be the "official" start, but here's the REAL start.

And I'm quite certain that is where you started. (there, you got a bite. lol)

Traffic Jam
03-15-2014, 10:27

I'm confused. What do you mean by this? Enlighten the noob please.

lemon b
03-15-2014, 10:28
Sounds like an ego issue. If its a concern just go ahead and do the approch trail. Kinda almost as silly as should I do alittle blue blazing. Why not. Personally I hike for fun, but part of that does become ego in certain areas just to make it to that next campsite. The beginning is no different than the middle. Up to you, to me side trips have more to do with the weather than anything else. If the views are blocked or unless its a water issue. Why bother?

Sly
03-15-2014, 10:42
The only way starting at Springer is cheating, is cheating yourself of 8 miles of hiking.

Old Man Joe
03-15-2014, 15:02
Re/Flagg Mt. "In the minds of some dreamers, this dramatic view should be a first sight for hikers to behold as they set off for Maine on the Appalachian Trail. At 1,152 feet, Flagg Mountain is, according to at least one common definition, the southernmost Appalachian mountain.
And that makes it, in the minds of Alabama civic boosters and state officials, a logical place to start the Appalachian Trail, which currently starts at Springer Mountain in North Georgia and extends 2,175 miles to Maine. In fact, there is already a marked trail -- the Pinhoti Trail -- that leaves from Flagg Mountain and travels a little more than 330 miles to connect to the start of the Appalachian Trail."

rafe
03-15-2014, 15:42
Up here in New England we have peakbaggers and 48ers. If a mountain isn't 4000+ feet, it doesn't exist. Peakbaggers don't camp or carry big packs. Most peak-bagging is done as day hikes. Who are we to say, "how silly."

bflorac
03-15-2014, 22:16
Or go through the arch and turn right (not left), like I did by mistake. This is also a blue blaze trail to the top of the falls following the older trail. I had no idea where exactly the falls were so I kept hiking until I found my self at the top of the falls and said "oops"!. Funny that met about 4 others who had done the same thing that day! Anyway, the falls is just a small part of the hike. You still have a lot of hiking between there and the top of Springer. The approach trail is a good wake-up. If you make it there, you fit enough to continue.

shakey_snake
03-25-2014, 01:28
You'll figure out what's best for you.

You'll have to make a lot of those sorts of decisions if you want to make it to Maine.

Mags
03-25-2014, 09:38
Do what's best for the person hauling you up there.

The End.

Sarcasm the elf
03-25-2014, 09:49
Would you ever tell a marathon runner that they cheated because they didn't jog to the starting line?

Pedaling Fool
03-25-2014, 09:54
Would you ever tell a marathon runner that they cheated because they didn't jog to the starting line?

No, but I would tell him he didn't run the entire course(i.e. cheated) if he cut the corners too tight.

And if he jumped up on the sidewalk, then that's automatic disqualification.

:eek::D

LDog
03-25-2014, 10:57
No, but I would tell him he didn't run the entire course(i.e. cheated) if he cut the corners too tight. And if he jumped up on the sidewalk, then that's automatic disqualification.

Good thing hiking's not competitive ...

Pedaling Fool
03-25-2014, 11:21
Good thing hiking's not competitive ...
True, but if you're wanting to get a certificate for hiking the entire trail you better not cut the corners too tight and if you cut any corner that's an automatic disqualification:)

Sarcasm the elf
03-25-2014, 14:32
No, but I would tell him he didn't run the entire course(i.e. cheated) if he cut the corners too tight.

And if he jumped up on the sidewalk, then that's automatic disqualification.

:eek::D

My intention was to simply point out the absurdity of the "You must do the approach trail" argument.

Though i agree that hikers who jump up on the sidewalk should be automatically disqualified.:D

hayshaker170
03-25-2014, 16:55
What's all this talk about drivers?? That's cheating! If you are hardcore you hike from home to the base of Springer. We don't need no stinkin' drivers! Now where's my medal?

Bagge Pants
03-25-2014, 17:24
Not hiking the Approach Trail would be like getting a helicopter lift off Mount Katahdin ;)

Last Call
03-25-2014, 17:26
There is one hiker on the Trail now that rode his bike from mid-Florida to Amicalola to start....that should qualify for an extra badge right there.

Tuckahoe
03-25-2014, 18:05
So if I'm understanding some of y'all... A blue blazed trail at the start of the trail counts but to blue blaze the trail, lets say in Virginia, doesn't count?

Sarcasm the elf
03-25-2014, 18:08
So if I'm understanding some of y'all... A blue blazed trail at the start of the trail counts but to blue blaze the trail, lets say in Virginia, doesn't count?

Correct, makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

rafe
03-25-2014, 18:54
There is one hiker on the Trail now that rode his bike from mid-Florida to Amicalola to start....that should qualify for an extra badge right there.

I've done a couple hundred miles by bike in the course of some section hikes. Bike N, hike S, or vice versa. Can I haz a badge?

Dalton -> North Adams MA
North Adams MA -> Bennington VT
Lyme -> Glencliff NH (miles of logging roads, no map)
Gorham -> South Arm Rd., Andover, ME
Caratunk -> Stratton ME
Rte 4 VT -> Brandon Gap, VT (Long Trail)

The rides were almost as memorable as the hikes.

Almost There
03-26-2014, 07:44
If you're hiking for a certificate then you're missing the entire point of having a wilderness experience. Just my two cents. Hiking almost 2200 miles...do the approach or don't at the end of the day ten miles more or less will have no bearing on how you feel about the the trail at the end, and if it does...then you're NUTS!:banana

adairandrew
03-26-2014, 09:07
Just like NOBOs have to hike down Katahdin, which doesn't count

Miner
03-26-2014, 11:24
Given that I had to climb up Katahdin (note not hike up) before I could even start the AT SOBO (no road to the top), why should you NOBOs get an easy pass. At least you HAVE a trail you can hike up on. The center part of the climb on Katahdin where you gain most of your elevation can't be called a trail by any stretch of the imagination. "I'm going to hike 2180 miles, but hiking 8 miles to start sounds hard so I don't want to do it." I hate to break it to you, but a lot of the AT is hard and gets much harder then the approach trail. The ATC may recognize your achievement, but I never will. And clearly what I think, as an anonymous poster on the internet, should bother you much more then the opinion of the official governing agency of the trail.

And I'm in no way jealous of your stupid road to the top of Springer! Not in any way! I enjoyed falling off a rock 4ft onto my back during my climb of Katahdin and having to go back to Millinocket so I could ice my knee so I could continue my hike. I'm not, in any way, bitter about the whole lack of road.

Almost There
03-26-2014, 15:24
Given that I had to climb up Katahdin (note not hike up) before I could even start the AT SOBO (no road to the top), why should you NOBOs get an easy pass. At least you HAVE a trail you can hike up on. The center part of the climb on Katahdin where you gain most of your elevation can't be called a trail by any stretch of the imagination. "I'm going to hike 2180 miles, but hiking 8 miles to start sounds hard so I don't want to do it." I hate to break it to you, but a lot of the AT is hard and gets much harder then the approach trail. The ATC may recognize your achievement, but I never will. And clearly what I think, as an anonymous poster on the internet, should bother you much more then the opinion of the official governing agency of the trail.

And I'm in no way jealous of your stupid road to the top of Springer! Not in any way! I enjoyed falling off a rock 4ft onto my back during my climb of Katahdin and having to go back to Millinocket so I could ice my knee so I could continue my hike. I'm not, in any way, bitter about the whole lack of road.

Ha, Ha! I got to come down Katahdin in a thunderstorm with hail! It was sunny when we summitted! If most had to hike SOBO numbers would be cut by at least 60% on the first day of hiking;)

03-26-2014, 16:32
The approach trail is a blue blaze trail, perhaps many feel so guilty they want to make sure everyone starts out a blue blazer! The AT starts on top of Springer mtn, enough said.

LDog
03-26-2014, 16:53
I don't blue blaze to avoid summits. I blue blaze to bag summits!

scope
03-27-2014, 13:42
Given that I had to climb up Katahdin (note not hike up) before I could even start the AT SOBO (no road to the top), why should you NOBOs get an easy pass...

A good perspective, but I'd remind that there's plenty of ways to make the trail hard for yourself if you're worried about others - or you even - thinking of yourself as a wuss. You can always go from Springer to Gooch shelter instead of stopping at Hawk Mt shelter. Or even better, camp somewhere in between the two like a real hiker! ;)

ShelterLeopard
06-06-2014, 07:38
The definitive and most solid rule I've ever come across to dictate the rules of the AT: Whatever floats your boat.

Zman
06-10-2016, 13:49
I hope to start my through hike next spring in 2017. I love all the comments. However, I will start at the very beginning, enjoy the falls, and if anybody asks I can tell them wholeheartedly I hiked the entire trail

Lone Wolf
06-10-2016, 14:38
and folks that start the trail at FS 42 can say they hiked the entire trail too

Sarcasm the elf
06-10-2016, 15:27
and folks that start the trail at FS 42 can say they hiked the entire trail too

Depends how far they get. :rolleyes:

Starchild
06-10-2016, 15:51

What can I say when you chose to hike it the wrong direction :D

Greenlight
06-10-2016, 16:59
When I push off from GA, I want the whole experience. While I'm not inclined to lecture others on how to hike their hike :), for me, thumbing my way to the Hike Inn to spend the night, and starting the approach trail after stuffing myself with their breakfast is all part of the much dreamt of itinerary. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Just spoken to a guy called Survivor Dave and he informed me that the offical start to the trail is at Springer and Amicalola falls is just the approach.

MuddyWaters
06-10-2016, 17:16
Trail starts on Springer. Do as please.

But....

If you are so focused on hiking only the AT that you are willing to skip the best thing in GA thats closeby....well , not sure what to say.

All you save is a couple hrs, out of 5 months. Try to see the falls after a few days of heavy rain.

lemon b
06-12-2016, 04:20
Quite frankly, I do not understand the question. Back in 78 it was difficult just to find the white blazes. I doubt if anyone passed them all and I would dare to say some were in the wrong places. The whites in the 80's were a total mess as far as following the actual AT. Pre GPS, lousy markings, all kinds of puzzle trails, get real.

egilbe
06-12-2016, 12:31
Quite frankly, I do not understand the question. Back in 78 it was difficult just to find the white blazes. I doubt if anyone passed them all and I would dare to say some were in the wrong places. The whites in the 80's were a total mess as far as following the actual AT. Pre GPS, lousy markings, all kinds of puzzle trails, get real.

Get a map, follow the trails that pre-existed the AT by about 50 years that the AT uses. Its not rocket science.

LDog
10-12-2017, 19:29
What can I say when you chose to hike it the wrong direction :D

All the literature says “Maine to Georgia.” If you hiked it nobo, you were doing it wrong!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171012/185ebad8d4b92032e42adea6bb2e7beb.jpeg

GranolaKY
10-12-2017, 20:00
True, the official start is at the summit of Springer. Past the plaque, and down and around the big rock. I did the approach and amicalola, it sucked, and so did catching my breath in a parking lot with smiley old people wizzing by... but it’s worth it. Do it.

Toolumpy
10-12-2017, 20:12
Hike it the want you want to. Approach is not part of the trail, I started at the fire road, hiked to Springer then back north.

jjozgrunt
10-12-2017, 21:29
I'm coming over to finish next year as I only got 317 miles in before an injury. I didn't do the approach, but if time permits next year I'm going to flip back down to Erwin and head south so I can say I did the whole trail in one season. If that's the case I'll walk down the approach trail.

I didn't do it because it wasn't part of the trail and was easier for me to head straight to Springer and save a day, as time was tight.

Do it or not for whatever reason.

D2maine
10-13-2017, 11:42

to do the equivalent you should have gone up helon taylor across knifes edge and continued south from there...oh and make sure its with full pack and not the baxter loaner packs... ;)

Greenlight
10-13-2017, 12:02
Okay, you have a point. But think about it. It's only 8 miles. And if you get there the night before, you can spend your last night in a real bed, get a really nice breakfast, and feel like you have actually started FROM somewhere, instead of at the end of a bumpy forest service road that may or may not tear the muffler off the car you're in. When I do my thru, I'm starting from the approach trail. Just because. Once I've triple-crowned, when someone asks me if I did the approach, I'll just make a little Tim the Toolman Taylor grunt and give the asker a noogie.

foodbag
10-17-2017, 12:11
I skipped it in 1999 when I made my thru-hike attempt. I didn't lose a minute's thought over it.

KCNC
10-17-2017, 12:37

Ten demerits.

You have to hike the approach trail backwards as atonement.

Uncle Joe
10-17-2017, 13:25
They should probably just white blaze it and be done with it. If I were doing a thru, I'd skip as long as it's blue. Mainly because I've already done it.

LDog
10-19-2017, 16:48
They should probably just white blaze it and be done with it.

Yeah! Then just keep going and finally put the southern terminus on Mt Oglethorp's summit! As it should be.

Of course then it would need an approach trail, so this annual thread will continue indefinitely ...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
10-19-2017, 17:32
Yeah! Then just keep going and finally put the southern terminus on Mt Oglethorp's summit! As it should be.

Of course then it would need an approach trail, so this annual thread will continue indefinitely ...

Southern terminus belongs on flagg mtn in alabama, if anywhere else.

The original north terminus proposed was mt washington, with spur trail to.katahdin, and spur from n. Alabama to georgia. The katahdin spur was finished in 1940. Alabama spur was never blazed. The pihoti was started in 1970, finished 2008. Would add 300 miles to AT. People been petitioning congress for years.

TTT
10-19-2017, 17:49
If you're a SOBO and you start your hike from Springer Mountain then it's cheating

LDog
10-19-2017, 19:30

Better yet.

Gambit McCrae
10-20-2017, 10:31
I did the Approach SoBo bc I did all of Fontana - Springer SoBo. I also did the approach trail because the shuttle waws $10 cheaper then then getting picked up at base of springer lol

I also did the approach because I wanted to see the falls, the stairs, and the arch.

Last Call
10-20-2017, 13:32
For the life of me I can't fathom why anyone would skip the Approach Trail....It's part of the A.T., in fact the first A.T. shelter is right behind the visitor's center at Amicalola.

Deacon
10-20-2017, 14:35
For the life of me I can't fathom why anyone would skip the Approach Trail....It's part of the A.T., in fact the first A.T. shelter is right behind the visitor's center at Amicalola.

I’m with you. Seems like folks on Whiteblaze have a love/hate relationship with the approach trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LDog
10-20-2017, 14:46
For the life of me I can't fathom why anyone would skip the Approach Trail....It's part of the A.T., in fact the first A.T. shelter is right behind the visitor's center at Amicalola.Ditto. I departed Amicalola the day before Spring, and stayed at Black Gap AT shelter with the intention of being the first to summit Springer, and so title myself "first hiker of the spring! An act I pulled off.

My register entry

3/20 *We Walk With Spring

Today at 1:14 the Sun was at the point on our celestial sphere where its ecliptic intersected our equator within the constellation of Pisces. Hence, today is the first day of spring. At this point in time night and day stand in balance, but the days of long nights are behind us. Our days are becoming longer, and the earth warmer. As we begin our journey north along the spine of the Appalachians, we'll bear intimate witness to the earth's renewal. And to our own.

LDog GA=>ME

One Half
10-20-2017, 18:27

Ah. No it is not.

Lone Wolf
10-20-2017, 20:45
sure it is :cool:

EuroPacker
12-15-2017, 07:51
And pretty much everything else...

I’m with you. Seems like folks on Whiteblaze have a love/hate relationship with the approach trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DBOW!
12-20-2017, 09:50
It is no different in the north

peakbagger
12-20-2017, 10:58

The original north terminus proposed was mt washington, with spur trail to.katahdin, and spur from n. Alabama to georgia. The katahdin spur was finished in 1940. Alabama spur was never blazed. The pihoti was started in 1970, finished 2008. Would add 300 miles to AT. People been petitioning congress for years.

Actually the AT in Maine was officially completed on August 4th 1937. ;). There were two previous guides to Maine but they had missing sections called out. The 1934 edition specifically refers to Katahdin as the northern terminus so it appears to have been recognized as more than a spur path prior to the completion. Of course Myron Avery wrote the guides at that time so he may have elected to treat Katahdin as the terminus so that it would be self fulfilling prophecy.

Coffee
12-20-2017, 11:13
I just realized that I took a cut-off trail from a privy once in SNP so I need to redo that entire section.

dudeijuststarted
12-20-2017, 11:56
I did the approach trail to Springer Mountain last, about 350 days after the start of my thru hike, when I returned to help some friends get started on their journey. IMO Amicalola is worth it. It's challenging but if you start early, take your time, and don't freak out, you'll have a great first day. This way you won't finish wishing you had done approach trail. Be sure to hydrate like a mofo before you start.

Sarcasm the elf
12-20-2017, 12:06
I just realized that I took a cut-off trail from a privy once in SNP so I need to redo that entire section.

:D;)
https://lh6.ggpht.com/mjZN4VmxFlyr95DzXDHgiWlpvzX8ON-yeqqDmcxowYYxscdsaJA5N7bc_DXlXHV-=h1080

egilbe
12-20-2017, 14:01
If you have to hike up Katahdin to start the AT Sobo, you should have to climb up Springer if you are Nobody. It's why Sobos aren't pussies.

moldy
12-20-2017, 14:08
Only if you are hiking South

Mags
12-20-2017, 16:30

Next up, something, something, something, about purity.

Sarcasm the elf
12-20-2017, 16:42

Next up, something, something, something, about purity.

Says the guy who can't be bothered to stay on trail. :rolleyes:

Last Call
12-20-2017, 16:50
It most certainly should be hiked....what is it's reason for being there? It's long been a part of the A.T., in fact the very first shelter is right behind the visitor center; the Max Epperson shelter. For the life of me I don't understand someone wanting to skip parts of the trail right out of the gate.....The arch behind the visitor center is the portal to the Trail....

The Old Chief
12-20-2017, 17:30
It most certainly should be hiked....what is it's reason for being there? It's long been a part of the A.T., in fact the very first shelter is right behind the visitor center; the Max Epperson shelter. For the life of me I don't understand someone wanting to skip parts of the trail right out of the gate.....The arch behind the visitor center is the portal to the Trail....
If you are saying the Max Epperson shelter is the very first shelter constructed on the AT you may not be correct. Blood Mtn Shelter was constructed in the 1930s and Rocky Run Shelter was built in 1940 and I believe they are both older than Max Epperson. If you are saying that Max Epperson is the first shelter you pass on a Northbound hike of the AT you may also be wrong because its on a blue blaze trail. The first shelter on the AT heading North is Springer Mtn Shelter.

DavidNH
12-20-2017, 17:35
this post is patently ridiculous!!! You are going to be hiking 2200 miles and gaining more elevation than the height of MT Everest many times over and you are worried about a 8 extra miles and a stinkin' series of steps? I bet you would be slack packing before long. START at the visitor center where the approach trail begins.

SouthMark
12-20-2017, 17:58
It does not matter one way or the other. There is no rules committee, no referees, no umpires, no trail traffic cops. If you hike from only Springer to Baxter Peak you qualify for the 2000 miler designation, certificate and patch. If you hike from Amicalola Falls State Park to Baxter Peak you qualify for the 2000 miler designation, certificate and patch.

Uncle Joe
12-20-2017, 18:06
The Trail is terminus to terminus. If the Approach is "part of the trail" perhaps it should be white blazed but for now it's not. When I see SOBO's declaring their hike completed a picture on Springer is what I see. Should they hike the Approach at their completion?

Lone Wolf
12-20-2017, 18:13
It's long been a part of the A.T., in fact the very first shelter is right behind the visitor center; the Max Epperson shelter. For the life of me I don't understand someone wanting to skip parts of the trail right out of the gate.....

it's not part of the AT. simple

egilbe
12-20-2017, 18:48
it's not part of the AT. simple
Its not part of the AT, but it is part of a trail worth hiking. I hike so many trails in New England that are not the AT, wh6 would I skip anorther trail?

lonehiker
12-20-2017, 19:07
If you have to hike up Katahdin to start the AT Sobo, you should have to climb up Springer if you are Nobody. It's why Sobos aren't pussies.

This is as stupid a post as I've seen on here. You should learn to write. Your first sentence doesn't even make sense and the second sentence, taken in context of the discussion, isn't even relevant.

egilbe
12-20-2017, 19:12
This is as stupid a post as I've seen on here. You should learn to write. Your first sentence doesn't even make sense and the second sentence, taken in context of the discussion, isn't even relevant.
Typing on my phone, autocorrect sucks. You get the point. Hike the approach trail and you wont be a pussy

Lone Wolf
12-20-2017, 19:50
Hike the approach trail and you wont be a pussy

you need some help, kid

soilman
12-20-2017, 19:55
Much ado about nothing. But if one is looking for the easier alternative at the beginning of the hike, what happens farther down the trail when things get tough. Yellow blaze?

Sarcasm the elf
12-20-2017, 20:10
Person 1: I walked from point A to point B.
Person 2: Well if you don't start at point Y, then you didn't really walk from point A to point B.

The silliness of this logic is breathtaking.

By the way, I hiked from point Y to point A as well, it was nice too. It just has no bearing on what person 1 chooses to do.

LAF
12-20-2017, 21:00
Why not just start at Mt. Ogelthorpe which was the original southern terminus of the trail. Or start in AL since initially it was planned to have a spur trail to/from there (Katahdyn was initially planned to be a spur trail) but this hasn't happened yet, officially despite the arguments of many to start at Flagg Mtn. But as it stands today, the white blazes from a NOBO perspective start on Springer, that is the trail. With that said, I did the approach trail and am happy I did. But it wasn't necessary. Many folks I met on the trail skipped the approach and felt no regrets. Bottom line, do what you want. Do the approach, do the pinhoti/bmt/at combo, don't do the approach. Just do what you do and be happy and thankful that you have the opportunity.

egilbe
12-20-2017, 22:15
you need some help, kid

I’m just funnin

Shrewd
12-21-2017, 10:37
Do what you want to do an enjoy the hike. I’d be pretty surprised if, after finishing the trail, anyone gives you grief over skipping the approach trail.
If they do, they’ve probably never they hiked.

I’m of the opinion that you’re off on an adventure and you should do your own thing.

I’m kinda baffled people care what the internet thinks. We met a girl in the shennies who was so worked up about slack packing that she wrote half a page about how anyone who slack packs wasn’t a real thru hiker in a trail register.

Everyone had a good laugh at her expense and there were a few pages of people ripping her apart

SouthMark
12-21-2017, 11:19
Kind of funny that the approach trail mileage is not included in the AT mileage.

Shrewd
12-21-2017, 15:31
Think of it this way, if you skip the approach trail (I did) and feel bad about it, you’re still going to have to climb all the way back down from Katahdin and then find a way out of Baxter sooooo it all evens out :)

jj dont play
12-21-2017, 16:50
Yep it's cheating. When I submitted for my 2000 miler certificate with the ATC they reviewed my mileage tracker one must wear and saw that I skipped it. They denied my request to be acknowledged as a 2000 miler.

On the real, I was going to do it and then decided not to. Is what it is, I plan to go back and hike it and a little of Georgia again one day just for fun

fastfoxengineering
12-21-2017, 17:20
I once had to go around three trees off trail because of a blowdown. Probably skipped 13.6 feet of trail...

Completely ruined the purity of my hike.

I blame the trail maintenance crews. Shame on them.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Mags
12-21-2017, 19:47
Says the guy who can't be bothered to stay on trail. :rolleyes:

I am a charlatan, after all.

Sarcasm the elf
12-21-2017, 20:27
I am a charlatan, after all.
Wait a second, you're from Charlotte? :rolleyes:

Sarcasm the elf
12-21-2017, 22:13
I once had to go around three trees off trail because of a blowdown. Probably skipped 13.6 feet of trail...

Completely ruined the purity of my hike.

I blame the trail maintenance crews. Shame on them.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

No joke: Around ten years ago there was an approximately 3 mile detour and roadwalk in Connecticut due to a major bridge closure. The project took over a year and the CT DOT put up professional A.T. detour signs marking the road route. When the bridge work was finished there was a long delay before the DOT took down the detour signage and during that time there were a handful of purist thru hikers who genuinely argued about whether they should continue down the real trail, or follow the "official" reroute in order to follow the "rules."
:datz

LDog
12-22-2017, 10:39
In the end, the only person you need to satisfy is the one who stares back at you in the mirror.

If your goal is to hike the trail, as efficiently as possible, and an extra day is not practical, then by all means have Survivor Dave drive you to the parking lot up near the top. Hell, you might even be able to slack pack it. Run up, sign the register, run down, put your pack back on and hike north.

If your goal is to hike in the wilderness from Georgia to Maine, then you might consider starting at Amicalola, signing in, and walking under that cool stone arch, past the waterfalls, and really climbing Springer Mountain to the start of the AT.

With that atitude, you might even consider taking spur trails to peaks and overviews not on the trail. Or considering going to a shelter that's a half mile off the trail.

Good luck and enjoy your hike. I mean, if that's part of your plan ...

L Dog

The Old Chief
12-22-2017, 20:39
In the end, the only person you need to satisfy is the one who stares back at you in the mirror.

If your goal is to hike the trail, as efficiently as possible, and an extra day is not practical, then by all means have Survivor Dave drive you to the parking lot up near the top. Hell, you might even be able to slack pack it. Run up, sign the register, run down, put your pack back on and hike north.

If your goal is to hike in the wilderness from Georgia to Maine, then you might consider starting at Amicalola, signing in, and walking under that cool stone arch, past the waterfalls, and really climbing Springer Mountain to the start of the AT.

With that atitude, you might even consider taking spur trails to peaks and overviews not on the trail. Or considering going to a shelter that's a half mile off the trail.

Good luck and enjoy your hike. I mean, if that's part of your plan ...

L Dog

You are so right. Nothing beats the wilderness experience from starting at Amicalola Park. From the asphalt parking lot thru the man made stone arch on the paved sidewalk passing by the gift store/museum and climbing the hundreds of treated wood man-made steps by the waterfall it all reeks of wilderness. And for an added dose of wilderness when crossing the paved road to the lodge just take a few steps to your right and you can see the lodge and parking lot with about one hundred cars parked in it. I was glad I had my compass and map.

LDog
12-22-2017, 20:56
You are so right. Nothing beats the wilderness experience from starting at Amicalola Park. From the asphalt parking lot thru the man made stone arch on the paved sidewalk passing by the gift store/museum and climbing the hundreds of treated wood man-made steps by the waterfall it all reeks of wilderness. And for an added dose of wilderness when crossing the paved road to the lodge just take a few steps to your right and you can see the lodge and parking lot with about one hundred cars parked in it. I was glad I had my compass and map.Yeah, yeah ... The first part up to the lodge is built for masses. After one gets past that, it's a beautiful trail that one generally has to themselves cause everyone else got a ride to the big-ass parking lot just below the summit.

L Dog

Last Call
12-22-2017, 21:00
Well, my Georgia A.T. patch says "80 Miler", so that must include the approach trail also.

skater
12-22-2017, 21:22
Well, my Georgia A.T. patch says "80 Miler", so that must include the approach trail also.

No, tha5's for the 78.3 miles from Springer to Bly, and the 1.7 miles you wandered off into the woods to... well you know.

The Old Chief
12-22-2017, 23:13
Yeah, yeah ... The first part up to the lodge is built for masses. After one gets past that, it's a beautiful trail that one generally has to themselves cause everyone else got a ride to the big-ass parking lot just below the summit.

L Dog
You're right. It is a beautiful trail after the Lodge. A beautiful side trail that goes to the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. The ATC, the GATC, and Lone Wolf do not recognize this side trail as part of the AT. That may possibly be why the Approach Trail is marked by blue blazes instead of white blazes. Using the logic of those who keep saying this blue blaze trail is part of the white blaze AT and must be hiked to complete an AT hike without shame, you would also have to say that the blue blaze 1.2 mile trail to Whitley Gap shelter is part of the AT and must be hiked to complete an AT hike without shame.

LDog
12-23-2017, 00:46
You're right. It is a beautiful trail after the Lodge. A beautiful side trail that goes to the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. The ATC, the GATC, and Lone Wolf do not recognize this side trail as part of the AT. That may possibly be why the Approach Trail is marked by blue blazes instead of white blazes. Using the logic of those who keep saying this blue blaze trail is part of the white blaze AT and must be hiked to complete an AT hike without shame, you would also have to say that the blue blaze 1.2 mile trail to Whitley Gap shelter is part of the AT and must be hiked to complete an AT hike without shame.

No Chief, I would not have to subscribe to any of that. My post was not about any of that, and I have never suggested the approach trail had to be hiked, or even that it should be hiked to claim 2000-miler certification. I have consistently pointed to the verbiage on the ATC Application for Certification as sole authority about what matters in that regard. I did suggest that one ought to hike it because it is a beautiful trail. I might of implied that one might be cheating themselves out of a wonderful experience if they don't hike it. But I understand that not everyone hikes for the same reasons I do. And as a reformed purist who fervently believes in the original philosophy behind hyoh, I would never question one's bonafides based on whether they hiked it or not.

The Old Chief
12-23-2017, 10:14
No Chief, I would not have to subscribe to any of that. My post was not about any of that, and I have never suggested the approach trail had to be hiked, or even that it should be hiked to claim 2000-miler certification. I have consistently pointed to the verbiage on the ATC Application for Certification as sole authority about what matters in that regard. I did suggest that one ought to hike it because it is a beautiful trail. I might of implied that one might be cheating themselves out of a wonderful experience if they don't hike it. But I understand that not everyone hikes for the same reasons I do. And as a reformed purist who fervently believes in the original philosophy behind hyoh, I would never question one's bonafides based on whether they hiked it or not.

You're right again! I'll end my part in this by saying that I've hiked the Approach Trail 4 times, 3 times NOBO and one time SOBO and enjoyed it every time. Spending a night at Amicalola Lodge, eating good food there, and starting up the Approach Trail the next morning is a good start to any hike.

shelb
12-23-2017, 22:30
I did the approach trail because there was no way I would miss any part - but HYOH!

shelb
12-23-2017, 22:35
FYI: The approach trail will not be a big deal if you have been training to walk up steps and have a lighter weight pack.. I am overweight (but not considered "obese," and I did major step training beforehand, and the approach trail was not an issue... (I had a pack that weighed less than 25 pounds). If you haven't trained and your pack is heavier than that, you will be challenged...

Another Kevin
12-24-2017, 14:21
No, tha5's for the 78.3 miles from Springer to Bly, and the 1.7 miles you wandered off into the woods to... well you know.

Stealth camp.

Yeah, and that.

Another Kevin
12-24-2017, 14:25
FYI: The approach trail will not be a big deal if you have been training to walk up steps and have a lighter weight pack.. I am overweight (but not considered "obese," and I did major step training beforehand, and the approach trail was not an issue... (I had a pack that weighed less than 25 pounds). If you haven't trained and your pack is heavier than that, you will be challenged...

It doesn't get any easier past Springer, so the first day will be what you describe, wherever you start. (Well, ok, starting a NOBO flip-flop from Harper's Ferry begins with Maryland, which is a lot easier, but we were discussing a 'traditional' NOBO.)

glen.
01-15-2018, 14:40
This might have been brought up and I missed it. If you do the Len Foote Hike In trail to the Len Foote Inn, wouldn't you have to backtrack to the Approach Trail and then head to Springer so you can say that you completed the approach trail?

Thefurther
01-15-2018, 19:31
the trail starts at springer mtn . it used to start at Oglethorpe mtn but they moved it to springer . it is your hike my friend and your decision if it counts or not . out of the people i drop off that are thru hiking start at either place . have a safe hike and if you need some help while you are here look me up . peace my friend .. Donald " grateful " ballard

Shrewd
01-15-2018, 19:33
I’d be pretty surprised if any of the people online that have strong opinions on this question have actually thru hiked, if that helps answer any questions.

But you do you, bud

GolfHiker
01-20-2018, 18:45
Gotta love it. This thread is nearing 4 y/o, and still going strong. It made for a good winter afternoon read. Some very strong opinions about a topic with no right or wrong answer, which did not stop some posters from looking pretty stupid, or arrogant, or just a bit mean spirited. I guess this is one of those posts that was the equivalent of "hike your own hike". "Post your own post". Let me say one thing. On day one of my hike, with a full compliment of hikers, say about 30, at the Hawk Mountain Shelter, no one, not one person asked or cared about the Approach Trail. I guess it just did not matter.

Still, a fun read.