PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Contrail vs Notch

Mando12
03-03-2014, 18:03
I've been doing ~500 mile sections for the last couple of years and plan to do another this summer. I am buying a new tent. Right now I believe the choice is down to the Tarptent Contrail or Notch. The Contrail lets me keep my pack inside, and I usually like that. But the Notch is 1.5 oz lighter, has two vestibules and side entry. I am leaning toward the Notch, but before I pull the trigger I thought I'd see if anyone has some experience that ought to be considered. Thanks!

Drybones
03-03-2014, 19:18
You're where I was not long ago, trying to make the same decision. I went with the Notch and have no regrets, as for putting the pack inside, you may be better off with the Notch, a feature I reall like is the ability to hang my pack on one of the hiking poles where I have access to everything I own from inside the tent, the pack hangs outside under the vestubule, just open a door and swing it in when you need something...doubt you could wrong with either choice.

RedBeerd
03-03-2014, 20:54
I chose the contrail for more usable space inside. I like the width.

nu2hike
03-03-2014, 22:49
I recently purchased the Notch and believe it to be one of the most versatile tents on the market today! You have the option of using the full net interior (which comes standard I believe) or the partial net interior which I used on my recent hike on the Florida Trail! It may not have a roomier interior than the Contrail but the two doors and vestibules give you additional space. I took Drybones advice and hung my pack from one of the trekking poles which made access to it extremely convenient.

Venchka
03-03-2014, 23:05
I am doing the same. Trying to decide on a TarpTent. For my money, the StratoSpire1 (or maybe the StratoSpire2 so one of my grand kids can join me) has so much more to offer for a modest dollar and weight increase. $24 and 8 ounces more than the Notch. A full rectangular floor. Larger, more useful vestibules in bad weather. Room for two in a pinch.
Notch vs. StratoSpire1:

Think about it. I bet you can find 8 ounces to loose somewhere in your pack. Or just carry the extra half pound and laugh at the nasty weather.

Wayne

10-K
03-03-2014, 23:45
If you don't mind the extra weight check out the Rainbow. I recently bought a Contrail but I'll still use my Rainbow on shorter hikes, reserving the Contrail for longer hikes where weight is more of an issue. The useable room is pretty amazing.

Mando12
03-04-2014, 09:29
I never thought about hanging the pack on a pole in the Notch. I can imagine that is pretty useful, and keeps it off the ground. For hanging the pack from the pole, are you setting the pole tip down and hanging from the hand strap?

rustmd
03-04-2014, 10:07
i have a contrail, the low-weight is a big plus. i use 1 hiking pole for set up, find that by using the hiking pole, i can get the tent set up higher and make it more taunt w/ its guy lines than by using the pole (that you can buy). this is important when it rains or is windy. the contrail is way more roomier than it looks in the photos, so that you really can keep all your gear inside.

also, i can get klutzy with setting up this tent, and i did sort of mess up the guy lines, tangled them up, a mess. i sent the tent back to henry shires and they fixed the problem quickly at no cost other than shipping.
.com

Mobius
03-04-2014, 10:28
I never thought about hanging the pack on a pole in the Notch. I can imagine that is pretty useful, and keeps it off the ground. For hanging the pack from the pole, are you setting the pole tip down and hanging from the hand strap?

I use my poles pointy-side up and hang the packs lifter strap on the pole's basket.

Mando12
03-05-2014, 12:43
Understand. Thanks everyone that contributed. I now have about an 80% lean toward the Notch.

Drybones
03-05-2014, 19:32

The Notch has a pocket that the pole tip fits into, the handle is on the ground, the pack hangs from the tip end, a short length of cord with a small loop on each end and a carabiner is all you need, hook the carabiner on the pack carry strap.

BradMT
03-05-2014, 19:53
Were it me, I'd go with the Notch. In fact, I'm 99% certain it will be my next tent purchase.

HOWEVER, I have some question's for Contrail owners... I've had a Rainbow, and even here in high-dry Montana I experienced enough condensation that I was pretty well bugged by it and sold the tent.

How does the Contrail do in terms of handling condensation?

I have no doubt the Notch will do fine, being a true Double-Wall tent.