PDA

View Full Version : Four to Five day trip in southern Colorado...suggestions

BikerEagle
03-03-2014, 21:08
My SIL and I are going to do a trip to southern Colorado the first part of June. We are not interested in Peak Bagging. (coming from just a few feet above sea level in s. Louisiana) We're interested in the Alpine forests and Aspens, lakes and streams, not so much above the tree line. Ideal hike would be around some beautiful mountains with great views. We're targeting southern Colorado since travel time is at a premium. San Juans, South San Juan Wilderness, or even the Sangre DeCristos.

So far, the trails we've seen favor Peak Baggin. We're trying to avoid that if possible since we don't really have the time to acclimatize properly. 8K to 12K probably won't be a problem. Seriously folks, the highest elevation we see during the year is from the top of the levees :-)

I've been to Colorado dozens of times over the years but my SIL has never been past Texas so I want this trip to be special.

Any help appreciated.

bamboo bob
03-03-2014, 21:18
Lot of snow in early June. I'm waiting until early July to do the San Juans in southern Colorado.

Drybones
03-03-2014, 21:28
I did a hike in 2011 in the Weminuche area that was nice, about 47 miles as I remember, started at Molas Pass to Elk Creek Trail to Continental Divide Trail to Valecito Trail to Johnson Creek Trail to Needle Creek Trail to Purgatory trailhead where I caught the steam engin trail to Silverton. It was a great hike, didn't see a lot of people, would have made it longer knowing what I know now.

Spirit Walker
03-03-2014, 22:43
Early June will still likely have a lot of snow as the trails are very high in the San Juans and south San Juans. Lots of mosquitoes too, right after snowmelt. The Cochetopa area is a lit lower, so is snow free earlier, but isn't as spectacular as the higher country. The Sangres are usually snow free a bit earlier. One possibility is San Pedro Parks Wilderness in northern NM near Cuba. It is alpine and by early June should be snow free. The mountains near Albuquerque are also a good early season option.

Mags
03-04-2014, 01:12
If you are not entirely sold on having to do the CDT, go a little further south to the Pecos Wilderness of New Mexico. (http://www.summitpost.org/pecos-wilderness-area/255250)

They are part of the New Mexico Sangres. Extremely beautiful mountains only a hop, skip and jump from the Colorado border. There were fires there last year, so call the ranger office to get the full details of any issues. The aspens and red columbine are esp nice in this area. I plan on going there myself over my 40th birthday. :)

After backpacking, go to Taos and take in the culture of this vibrant town. Stop by the nearby Taos Pueblo (http://www.taospueblo.com/) as well.

If you want some 'chillaxin' type hiking/camping, the nearby Rio Grande Wild River area (http://www.pmags.com/into-the-rio-grande-gorge) (Less than an hour from Taos) is among the best car camping around. Awesome hikes into the Rio Grande gorge, petroglyphs and beautiful scenery. It is also part of a newly created national monument (http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/blm_special_areas/national_monuments/rio_grande_del_norte.html).

Denver to Taos is five hours. Denver to Pagosa Springs is about 5 hours as well. Soooo...the driving times are pretty much the same. In fact, the Rio Grande Gorge is a good 1/2 hour or so BEFORE you even get to Taos. The trailheads for the Pecos from Taos is another 1 hr the other way.

Northern New Mexico is one of the new favorite areas in recent years. Not even sure I should post about it. ;)

Sly
03-04-2014, 02:24
Try the Springs Resort and Spa (http://www.pagosahotsprings.com/) in Pagosa Springs, awesome hot springs with 23 different pools overlooking town and the San Juan river.

Venchka
03-04-2014, 08:32
Northern New Mexico is one of the new favorite areas in recent years. Not even sure I should post about it. ;)

Aye! Perhaps it should be our secret.

Wayne

colorado_rob
03-04-2014, 09:33
I did a hike in 2011 in the Weminuche area that was nice, about 47 miles as I remember, started at Molas Pass to Elk Creek Trail to Continental Divide Trail to Valecito Trail to Johnson Creek Trail to Needle Creek Trail to Purgatory trailhead where I caught the steam engin trail to Silverton. It was a great hike, didn't see a lot of people, would have made it longer knowing what I know now. Something like this... except maybe head down to the Animas from Purgatory, follow the animas to Needleton, catch the train north to Silverton from there, about 9 more miles. Needleton is where tons of backpackers get off the train to head up into the Chicago Basin to climb, so there are always seats north from there, just hop on and pay $69 for a one-way NOBO ticket (credit cards just fine). You could even just do something like this: Park at the Purgatory t/h, hike to the river (3 miles?) and make camp there. Next day hike 15 or so miles up into the Chicago Basin, beaUUUUUtiful area, camp one night there. Next day nike back down to Needleton, catch the train north to Elk Park, get off, hike the CT east for 7 miles or so, make camp, return the next day to Elk Park, catch the train to Silverton, hang out for a few hours in that town, catch the train south back to Purgatory.

I personally wouldn't give up on SW Colorado in June. there are so many options in the San Juan's that stay low enough to avoid the really deep leftover snow. June is probably the prettiest month WITH all the high leftover snow.

FWIW: snowpack in the SJ's is running a tad low right now, about 90% or normal, and what really counts is what we (well, the San Juan's that is) get in March/April, the snowiest months. I would stay tuned and see what develops over the next 5-6 weeks.