PDA

View Full Version : Cold enough?

Many Moons
03-03-2014, 21:41
I bet the early starters are getting a taste of what the Whiteblazer's have been warning them about. Cold winter weather. They are braver than I, plan on heading to trail end of month and then again in mid April. Wonder if Winton has had to save anyone off Blood Mountain yet? This weather reminds me of all the stories in the AT books we read. Hope the early starters have the right clothes and gear. HIKE ON!!!

Miller

Lone Wolf
03-03-2014, 21:51
winton is no where near there

Many Moons
03-03-2014, 22:02
Your right again. Darn it. I Googled what the h*** you were saying. Looks like he sold the place. Thanks for calling me out. HIKE ON!!!

Miller

winton is no where near there

Slo-go'en
03-03-2014, 23:14
Well, it's only -2 here in the Whites @ 10 PM, might go to -20 by dawn. Low of -4 last night. My tap water is running at about 34 degrees, I get ice water right out of the flauset :)

Looks like they got more snow and ice in the NC/TN mountains yesterday, glad I'm not out there!

lemon b
03-03-2014, 23:20
Heard at the North Becket Market that someone is Southbound in the winter. There shuttle was looking for the trailhead to bring them to Rte 20 so they didn't have to risk going over Oct Mt alone. Be foolish to try as its all ice. Last time I did it was surprised to see in the logbook Sarcasm The Elf had been over the Top in Feb. maybe 2012. I'm like What the heck.... guess I'm not the only nut out here in the middle of winter.

rafe
03-03-2014, 23:38
Well, it's only -2 here in the Whites @ 10 PM, might go to -20 by dawn. Low of -4 last night. My tap water is running at about 34 degrees, I get ice water right out of the flauset :)

Looks like they got more snow and ice in the NC/TN mountains yesterday, glad I'm not out there!

It was -5 in Franconia at dawn last Saturday. That caused us to cut short our hike up Kinsman. Warmed up to 20 or so by mid-afternoon. Did a short hike up Mt. Pemi instead.