PDA

View Full Version : Getting from Atlanta to the trail - Help needed

Fletchlives1234
03-04-2014, 05:34
Morning All,

I am travelling from the Uk and I'm heading to Atlanta. I have spoken / emailled various peeps about trail runs and accomodation.
First up there is the hiker hostel. Good value ($80), but will involve a stay in Atlanta before they can pick me up and then I have to stay on another night at the hostel to get the thru hiker deal, even before getting anywhere near the trail.

Can anyone suggest any good places to stay in Atlanta that are close enough to the airport and an outfitters? Cost is also an issue!

Or would I be better to take the MARTA to North springs and stay there? I have heard that it will be a load cheaper to stay here rather than Atlanta.

I have spoken to Survivor Dave who seems competitive and has said that I could stay in a place called La Quinta. Unfortunately he is not on skype which makes things a little difficult.
What is La quinta like and has anyone used Dave before? If so can you provide any feedback.
He's charging $125 for the ride and $62 for the hotel.

I've spoken to a guy called Richard Anderson who offers probably the most comprehensive service and has been very informative. He has said that I could share my trip to a place in Ellijay with another hiker to save money.
He's charging $160 for the lift to the hotel (based on 1 hiker). $ 67 for the hotel. $40 from the hotel to the trail. Total $267.
The lift from the aiport to the hotel goes down to $85 if there is 2 sharing. Total = $192.

He has said that he could take us directly to Springer / Amicalola to save even more .
Has anyone used this service before. If so any feedback would be great.

Any other options would be appreciated.

Fletchlives.

lonehiker
03-04-2014, 07:17
Call the Hiker Hostel and ask them about motels at any of the MARTA stops. If there are any, stay there and have them pick you up the next day. Motel cost plus thru-hiker deal seems like it might be cheapest route. Can't answer the rest of your questions except that La Quinta is a chain of motels and they are generally decent. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at one.

Matthikes
03-04-2014, 07:40
When are you coming in? I work by the airport and live in Dahlonega near Amicalola. I could possibly give you a ride for free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Don H
03-04-2014, 08:32
Survivor Dave has been shuttling for years, I used him in 2011. I highly recommend him.
La Quinta has nice hotels.
I flew in to Atlanta in the morning, had Dave pick me up at North Springs Station and went right to FS 42. From there it was a quick walk up to the top of Springer then back to Stover Creek Shelter for the night.

ericmcdaniel
03-04-2014, 14:30
When are you planning to hit trail? We are traveling from Dallas, GA for an April 1 start, and could possibly give you a lift to Springer gratis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee Viking
03-04-2014, 15:46
My brother used to live in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody area. Dunwoody up to North Springs is mostly medical centers/office buildings/shopping centers. The better side of Atlanta.

The North Springs LaQunita can be found here:
http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ4008&propId=4008&iata=99020724&WT.srch=1&sissr=1

(http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ4008&propId=4008&iata=99020724&WT.srch=1&sissr=1)
Survivor Dave top notch shuttler.

fireneck
03-04-2014, 23:35
When are you coming in? I work by the airport and live in Dahlonega near Amicalola. I could possibly give you a ride for free.

Truf is that you?

Matthikes
03-05-2014, 08:45
Truf is that you?

No, my name is Matt. Haven't earned a trail name yet.

MkBibble
03-06-2014, 12:15
I highly recommend Survivor Dave. The La Quinta is convenient and inexpensive, and has a basic free breakfast. Have fun!