PDA

View Full Version : Current southern VA Trail Conditions

lion12
03-04-2014, 10:38
Leaving Friday (3/7) from Roanoke on a 10 day section hike. What should I expect for trail conditions? Thanks.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2014, 10:42
got some snow yesterday

HikerMom58
03-04-2014, 10:53
Snow on the the ground, less than 1/2 inch in Roanoke. Don't know how much the mountains got... so pretty tho. :) They got more snow north of Roanoke. Are you headed north or south from Roanoke?

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USVA0659

Studlintsean
03-04-2014, 11:06
We received roughy 8-10 inches in Northern VA yesterday.

Slo-go'en
03-04-2014, 11:08
I bet it will be really sloppy. At least it will probably be a lot warmer than it has been next week.

Kingbee
03-04-2014, 11:42
This weekend will warm up, so expect a very wet trail.

lion12
03-04-2014, 13:00
I am going south from Roanoke. What can I expect for ice in higher elevations?

HikerMom58
03-04-2014, 13:27
I am going south from Roanoke. What can I expect for ice in higher elevations?

Hummm... give me some time & I'll try to find out for ya. The warmer temps coming later this week will prob. turn any ice to slush like Slo said... Again, I'll see what I can find out.

The snow we had this morning on the grass in our yard is now gone.

Southerner
03-05-2014, 18:35
I just got back from a quick day hike on Poor Mountain in southern Roanoke County, which is not on the AT, but of similar elevation (in fact, Poor Mtn. is the highest point in both Roanoke and Montgomery Counties). The trail was pretty sloppy in most sections and had up to about 2" of snow in shaded areas. I would expect similar conditions along the AT. During a quick day hike to Fullhardt Knob just north of Roanoke on the AT this weekend (before the latest bit of snowfall), there was still snow remaining from last month's major snow event, again in shaded areas.

The other thing to consider is that there is a storm predicted for Thursday night into Friday. Right now, predictions are all over the place, ranging from a bit of light rain to several inches of snow. If it's a system that has a lot of moisture, and it comes down to the temperature being either just above or just below freezing, the mountains could very well pick up a fairly significant snow, even if the valleys and cities just get a cold rain. Definitely something to watch over the next couple of days prior to your departure!

The Cleaner
03-05-2014, 19:23
This weekend will warm up, so expect a very wet trail. Only to cool back down. More cold weather is expected here by 3-17