PDA

View Full Version : UQ Length for a thru hike?

fastfoxengineering
03-04-2014, 15:50
Hey everyone,

I'm in the stages of planning a thru-hike in 2015 or 2016. What would you recommend for a top quilt/under quilt combo for a thru starting in march. NOBO. I need a set that I can use my whole hike and I can't afford to buy separate sets so I'm pretty certain a 20* top and bottom is ideal for me. I won't be sending either home.

I'm heading towards getting a 20* top quilt with some sort of water protection for the down. I plan on getting a 20* underquilt with water protection too.

My question is would you recommend a 3/4 or full length under quilt on a thru?

G2outdoors
03-04-2014, 16:53
I'd recommend a 3/4 length for sure. You can use a sit pad or your pack/extra clothes to insulate your feet. 20* is spot on.

Sent from my Hammock.

Osiris
03-04-2014, 17:06
I'd recommend a 3/4 length for sure. You can use a sit pad or your pack/extra clothes to insulate your feet. 20* is spot on.

Sent from my Hammock.

I agree. 20* should be fine, I took a full length 0* UQ because it was what I had and found I was too hot most nights even early on.

Shonryu
03-04-2014, 18:55
I guess I will be the one that plays devils advocate. It really depends when you plan to start. A person starting in Feb vs say April.

Another thing I would add to that list is a GG nitlite pad. If you pan on using a frameless pack you can use it to structure it. If temps drop and you need any extra insulation you have it to add to on top of your down UQ. Also for those times when you stay in a shelter you have something to use vs nothing. I totally agree with using a 3/4.

Another thing to know about a TQ is that you will want a wider one then a standard width because there will be times when you will go to ground and the width won't be wide enough especially if your a side sleeper or move around in your sleep.

kayak karl
03-04-2014, 19:03
what month are you leaving? 3/4 are a pain in single digits. i have a 3/4 zero and been fine down to 0, but with wind, rain and stuff on the trail i like a full (no fussing with it) :)

fastfoxengineering
03-04-2014, 20:18
what month are you leaving? 3/4 are a pain in single digits. i have a 3/4 zero and been fine down to 0, but with wind, rain and stuff on the trail i like a full (no fussing with it) :)

I'll be leaving in March. So as of right now your guys believe the 3/4 20* and 20* top quilt is the most versatile combination. I'm kinda short. 5' 8" and most 3/4 lengths seems to to be 52-54" long so it's really not that much shorter than me.

Do you think I would need extra insulation for my feet? If so, I would like to add a gossamer gear torso pad. Which can double as a sit pad, and help in the event I sleep in a shelter?

What does everyone think?

Right now I'm leaning towards Hammock Gear for my quilts, seem to be highly recommended.

kayak karl
03-04-2014, 20:30
its march now and its cold out there. :) with a 3/4 i need a pad under my feet up to about 55. there is a little learning curve to a 3/4 when its cold. how much weight are you saving?

fastfoxengineering
03-04-2014, 21:02
Right now no weight savings because I don't own any quilts. But the difference between a 3/4 quilt + pad and a full length pad is negligible. So the only thing I would be gaining is the versatility of the torso pad. Sitpad, ground sleeping, etc.

Shonryu
03-06-2014, 00:52

I'll be leaving in March. So as of right now your guys believe the 3/4 20* and 20* top quilt is the most versatile combination. I'm kinda short. 5' 8" and most 3/4 lengths seems to to be 52-54" long so it's really not that much shorter than me.

Do you think I would need extra insulation for my feet? If so, I would like to add a gossamer gear torso pad. Which can double as a sit pad, and help in the event I sleep in a shelter?

What does everyone think?

Right now I'm leaning towards Hammock Gear for my quilts, seem to be highly recommended.

Get a GG Nitelit pad its worth the investment and the 4.6oz. Very versatile piece of gear for someone hammocking. As mentioned it takes some getting used to using a 3/4 but then again I'm 6'2 so it will be easier for you. They do have a tendency to slide around if you move around in your sleep a lot.

As for Hammock Gear I own 2 TQs, 2 UQs, a cuban fly, and just placed another order for another quilt. Adam provides top notch customer service and I would highly recommend them. For your TQ I would personally recommend getting a standard 20 degree Burro wide with the half tapered for when you go to ground. I would also recommend getting an extra 2 ounces of down. This should keep you comfortable to around 15 degrees give or take. If in doubt add another ounce. As for UQ Adam advised me that a Phoniex 20 with an extra ounce of down would take me down to 15. A good thing to remember is that cottage shops ratings are more true to the temps then major manufacturers because they are usually real life tested to give them their ratings vs using standards unless its based on European standards.

With the right kind of clothing and your tolerance to cold you can easily carry that set up into single digits. Go with the snap closure vs sewn threw so when its warmer you can unsnap everything.

Meriadoc
03-06-2014, 07:56

If you think that you might sleep in shelters, I would skip the UQ altogether. Use a pad in the hammock and in the shelters. Less weight to carry and more overall comfort. Sleeping on a shelter floor is a bit hard. Doable, but after 300 miles I bought a pad. Also if money is tight, that extra $120 (approximate cost difference between a z-lite and a UQ) can go towards your hike instead.

12trysomething
03-06-2014, 08:45
I would recommend calling Adam at Hammock Gear. He hiked a long ways this past year on the AT and is a wealth of information.

I would be surprised to if one TQ UQ combo will be adequate for the whole trail. I believe you will need to swap out temp ratings at least once.

Good luck.

kayak karl
03-06-2014, 08:51
I would recommend calling Adam at Hammock Gear. He hiked a long ways this past year on the AT and is a wealth of information.

I would be surprised to if one TQ UQ combo will be adequate for the whole trail. I believe you will need to swap out temp ratings at least once.

Good luck. the 20 under quilt will do whole trip if leaving late march. thetop quilt could be swapped out for a 40 in summer. you can get a 40-50 cheap in synthetic.

Drybones
03-06-2014, 09:10
If you think that you might sleep in shelters, I would skip the UQ altogether. Use a pad in the hammock and in the shelters. Less weight to carry and more overall comfort. Sleeping on a shelter floor is a bit hard. Doable, but after 300 miles I bought a pad. Also if money is tight, that extra $120 (approximate cost difference between a z-lite and a UQ) can go towards your hike instead.

I'm new to hammocks and tried the pad first, made a double layer hammock thinking the pad would stay stationary, didn,t, kept waking up off the pad and cold, I'll make or buy an UQ some time soon...that's just my experience, sure did want it to work so I'd have a pad for ground.

fastfoxengineering
03-06-2014, 11:44
Get a GG Nitelit pad its worth the investment and the 4.6oz. Very versatile piece of gear for someone hammocking. As mentioned it takes some getting used to using a 3/4 but then again I'm 6'2 so it will be easier for you. They do have a tendency to slide around if you move around in your sleep a lot.

As for Hammock Gear I own 2 TQs, 2 UQs, a cuban fly, and just placed another order for another quilt. Adam provides top notch customer service and I would highly recommend them. For your TQ I would personally recommend getting a standard 20 degree Burro wide with the half tapered for when you go to ground. I would also recommend getting an extra 2 ounces of down. This should keep you comfortable to around 15 degrees give or take. If in doubt add another ounce. As for UQ Adam advised me that a Phoniex 20 with an extra ounce of down would take me down to 15. A good thing to remember is that cottage shops ratings are more true to the temps then major manufacturers because they are usually real life tested to give them their ratings vs using standards unless its based on European standards.

With the right kind of clothing and your tolerance to cold you can easily carry that set up into single digits. Go with the snap closure vs sewn threw so when its warmer you can unsnap everything.

I'm sold on Hammock Gear. They seem like a great company. My thoughts are what your suggesting. I was going to order a top quilt exactly as the one you described as well. Thanks for your reply.

Good luck.

Why do you think so? Do you think the 20* quilt will just get too hot during the summer months? Purchasing two top quilts is quite expensive, would rather not do so. If so, I think what Kayak Karl suggest would be best and pick up a cheap synthetic 40 degree bag when it gets hot.

the 20 under quilt will do whole trip if leaving late march. thetop quilt could be swapped out for a 40 in summer. you can get a 40-50 cheap in synthetic.

Would that be completely necessary or am I underestimating how hot I would get with the 20*/20* combo. I camp during the summer with a cheapie 20* bag and don't tend to overheat.

Meriadoc
03-06-2014, 11:55
I'm new to hammocks and tried the pad first, made a double layer hammock thinking the pad would stay stationary, didn,t, kept waking up off the pad and cold, I'll make or buy an UQ some time soon...that's just my experience, sure did want it to work so I'd have a pad for ground.

Zlite pad, no need to place it between layers. It's stickier than the inflatables. It may take some time to get used to it. I went to it after having a good bit of hammock experience. And of course while thru hiking I sleep well every night.

12trysomething
03-06-2014, 11:58
Why do you think so? Do you think the 20* quilt will just get too hot during the summer months? Purchasing two top quilts is quite expensive, would rather not do so. If so, I think what Kayak Karl suggest would be best and pick up a cheap synthetic 40 degree bag when it gets hot.

In my experience/learning the majority of your warmth will come from your underquilt, I have heard opinions up to 70%. The TQ simply holds the heat in/down. Additionally, it is very easy to add warmth up top with clothing and remove it by throwing the TQ to the side/down.

As far as an UQ, you can slide them over, relax the compression at the ends creating a vent and loosen the suspension to reduce heat.

Having not researched the avg cold temperatures along the trail, you may want to identify what is the temp swings you should expect. I have found that I can be comfortable with up to about a 30* swing before I get to cold or to sweaty with a quilt set.

I currently have 2 sets of quilts; a 3 season set which is a 30*UQ with a 40*TQ and a winter set both at 0*. Where I hike this works for greater than 85% of the nights of the year in the Northeast primarily in the Adirondacks.

You may very well be perfect with 20* set up! It just seems to me that July and August may be sweaty, with damp quilts and additional bulk not needed for summer nights.

I would still reach out to Adam - he is the quilt man!

apd07c
03-06-2014, 12:06

+1

I've been down to about 10* in my hammock with only foam pads. UQs will only be useful hanging. A GG torso or zlite has a wider range of applications for less money, less energy to set up, and increased durability.

apd07c
03-06-2014, 12:17
If you're adamant on getting an UQ, I'd go 20* as well as a zlite or GG torso. Use them in conjunction up until somewhere between Damascus and Roanoke then bounce your UQ ahead to NH leaving just the pad for the mid-atlantic/ southern new england states.

1azarus
03-06-2014, 12:58
Three quarter length under quilt. No water protection for top quilt unless your rain fly is tiny. Sit pad for feet-insert in sleeping bag!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

fastfoxengineering
03-06-2014, 20:00
All great replies, I just don't hear many success stories with a pad in a hammock. I've tried it, got some cold spots. But the idea of also being able to sleep comfortably in shelter also intrigues me.

I may have to pull the cord on a nice inflatable pad, and the top quilt I was planning on getting from hammock gear. And testing it the next few months. May be the best option for me. If i'm warm in my hammock and can transition to a shelter ground comfortable I'd be happy. I also have the option of cowboy camping with a nice pad.

I'm still confused and unsure.. argh.

fastfoxengineering
03-06-2014, 20:08
Furthermore, what if I added a wider piece of tyvek to the combo. 20* Topquilt (extra wide, tapered) , an inflatable pad, and a piece of tyvek for a ground sheet. Would the tyvek help in the hammock at all if I were to use it under the pad. Something to help cover the shoulders at least. With those three items i'm still lighter than a topquilt/underquilt combo.

blue indian
03-06-2014, 20:54
Good post. Good questions and responses.

I am using a 2/3 20 degree yeti UQ and a 20 TQ from golite with my single layer blackbird. I use a GG nitelite pad for my feet. Somtimes I think a full length UQ would be easier but I like having the versatility of the nitelite pad. I keep it strapped to the outside of my pack to use during lunch breaks and when/if Im hanging out at a shelter in the evenings.

I also think that if you needed/wanted to sleep in a shelter, you could use that pad for your torso and your pack for your feet. Many true UL and SUL hikers use this setup for straight forward sleep system, not as a backup. It would be even better cowboy camping where you could put leaves/grass/pinestraw under the pad and pack for more insulation and comfort.

The only thing Im not crazy about when using the 2/3 length UQ is that I feel like it moves more laterally than a full length UQ would. This is probably a result of my tossing and turning more than anything else and could be solved with some UQ hooks from Dutch.

Shonryu
03-07-2014, 01:02
Good post. Good questions and responses.

I am using a 2/3 20 degree yeti UQ and a 20 TQ from golite with my single layer blackbird. I use a GG nitelite pad for my feet. Somtimes I think a full length UQ would be easier but I like having the versatility of the nitelite pad. I keep it strapped to the outside of my pack to use during lunch breaks and when/if Im hanging out at a shelter in the evenings.

I also think that if you needed/wanted to sleep in a shelter, you could use that pad for your torso and your pack for your feet. Many true UL and SUL hikers use this setup for straight forward sleep system, not as a backup. It would be even better cowboy camping where you could put leaves/grass/pinestraw under the pad and pack for more insulation and comfort.

The only thing Im not crazy about when using the 2/3 length UQ is that I feel like it moves more laterally than a full length UQ would. This is probably a result of my tossing and turning more than anything else and could be solved with some UQ hooks from Dutch.

I completely agree with everything you stated. Using a 3/4 saves weight that can be used to carry a GG Nitlite pad. If you have to go to ground you still have a pad you can use. My last backpacking trip I brought my summer UQ like and idiot by mistake and so sleeping in my hammock wasn't an option. I went to ground and used my torso pad and used my compactor bag that I was using for a liner and stuffed a bunch of leaves in it and put my pad on it and pack for my feet. Even at 6'2 it worked for me. I was cold but I didnt freeze the way I would have if I had used my hammock.

Dutch quilt TI hooks do work wonders for sliding.

In late summer a 20 degree quilt will be very hot. I had my 40 degree quilt and found myself just sleeping on top of it. Eventually I just got a sleeping bag liner and bounced my quilt ahead. Something my brother has been experimenting with is an SOL escape bivy as a sleeping bag. Total weight is 8.5oz. Hes taken it down into the low 40s wearing all of his clothes and said he was comfortable. Ive used one for warmer summer weather as a lighter sleeping bag option.

swales142
03-07-2014, 04:12
I like having the underquilt vs. A pad it's just easier. There have been times I've had to double up and use both the uq and inflatable pad to get to lower temps. I tend to carry both for that reason even if I don't need the pad for warmth, I still have a pad to sit on. Plus there is a few days where you have no choice but to sleep in the shelter so its nice to have a pad along...

Do what you wanna do...

swales142
03-07-2014, 04:21
Also make sure you can vent your footbox as it does get warm during the summer

Do what you wanna do...

fastfoxengineering
03-08-2014, 20:41
Has anyone seen Eno's "Hot Spot"?

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/product/A4011.html

I remember the speer version of it. Eno's product comes in at 9oz which is kinda heavy, but that and a nice inflatable pad would be about 20oz. About the same weight as an underquilt, and all the versatility im asking for.

Thoughts?

Toon
03-08-2014, 21:04
Full length pad. 20° bag. Would be my choice. Use clothes to keep warmer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

onecamper
03-08-2014, 22:17
I like GG pad. I use the 3/8 cut down some. Put some save of seam grip on one side to keep in place. I use that and a highlite WM bag down to about freezing then I go with a zero 3/4 and the manna, I like Warbonnet..

onecamper
03-08-2014, 22:19
*save - dabs

Shonryu
03-09-2014, 00:57
I personally hate pads for hammocks. To much trouble then they are worth. I'm a side sleeper and tosser and find myself off the pad more times then on. Waking up every hour cold because I slipped off the pad almost made me give up on using a hammock. UQ is the only way to go IMO

fastfoxengineering
03-09-2014, 18:12
I think I'm going to pick up a thermarest inflatable pad and the top quilt I mentioned earlier. I'll test it over the the next two months or so and then make a decision to go under quilt or not. I really am pushing towards the pad because I want to have the versatility of going to the ground COMFORTABLY. On my thru, I think I'd like to stay in shelters that give a good vibe for the social aspect of it. Other times, I feel like doing my own thing and camping out by myself. Depends on the day. And if it rains all day, I'll be glad I can stop in a shelter and have a comfortable setup rather than rigging up a decent mattress. I just don't want to have to carry an extra pound and spend a ton of money on an UQ and pad. The bulkiness off a ccf pad is kind of annoying too, and an inflatable is just much more comfortable.

Thanks for all your input, you guys gave me a lot to think about it. What I gathered from your information is that I need to find out if an inflatable pad and top quilt in my hammock works for me. If not, then I will have to look into UQ's more.

Regards

fastfoxengineering
03-09-2014, 18:26
Furthermore I'm thinking about the thermarest Neoair X-Lite in the Large Size. Weighs 16 oz's, but is 25" wide. 5" wider than the ccf pad I've used in my hammock before. That coupled with the top quilt I'm gonna get (listed at 19.5oz). 35.5 oz for my insulation. Hammock or ground, and very comfortable to boot. I think that's pretty good for the versatility seeming the pad weighs less than any under quilt too.

I'm pretty set on giving this combo I try.

scrabbler
03-12-2014, 21:05
All great replies, I just don't hear many success stories with a pad in a hammock.

A pad in between a double layer hammock is much better.

Mick3y
03-12-2014, 23:48
I'm new to hammocks and tried the pad first, made a double layer hammock thinking the pad would stay stationary, didn,t, kept waking up off the pad and cold...

Pad between a double layer doesn't work for everyone. You have to do what works for you. Try a pad first because it's cheaper and more versatile. If you feel inclined to buy a UQ, go for it. Both are nice if you can make them work.

fastfoxengineering
03-13-2014, 14:21
Pad between a double layer doesn't work for everyone. You have to do what works for you. Try a pad first because it's cheaper and more versatile. If you feel inclined to buy a UQ, go for it. Both are nice if you can make them work.

That's what I plan on doing, I'm going to pick up a thermarest neoair xlite in the size large. mainly due to it being 5" wider than a regular sized pad. It weighs 16oz which is less than any 20* under quilt. If it's adequate on warmth and comfort in March in Georgia, I'll be using it the rest of the through hike paired with a 20* top quilt and a cheaper 40* synthetic/down bag for summer. I'll be testing this out for the next few weeks once my top quilt. If it works for me, it has the most versatility while remaining very lightweight.

msupple
03-13-2014, 14:53
Furthermore I'm thinking about the thermarest Neoair X-Lite in the Large Size. Weighs 16 oz's, but is 25" wide. 5" wider than the ccf pad I've used in my hammock before. That coupled with the top quilt I'm gonna get (listed at 19.5oz). 35.5 oz for my insulation. Hammock or ground, and very comfortable to boot. I think that's pretty good for the versatility seeming the pad weighs less than any under quilt too.

I'm pretty set on giving this combo I try.

I did my AT hike with a 20d UQ but If were to do it again I might well consider taking my Neo Air Xlite. Not only does it allow me to go to ground or sleep in a shelter but it also takes away the worry of my down UQ getting wet....a real possibility even with heavy fog. The problem with any pad in a gathered end hammock is that they tend to move and your shoulders and upper arms tend to get cold. I've found the best solution for me is to cut Thermorest Zlite in half and place it across the shoulder area under the Xlite.It's light, folds up nice and creates an uber sit pad. I also use a Bridge hammock (Ridgerunner) which is way more conducive to pad use than any gathered end hammock. You put the pad in there and it stays no mater how much you toss and turn. On shorter hikes were I can pretty much know the weather ahead of time I may well take the UQ. One more thought...always underinflate your pad...it will move less and be much more comfortable. Experiment with it. Good luck, Cat in the Hat

Midge
03-16-2014, 15:28
Furthermore, what if I added a wider piece of tyvek to the combo. 20* Topquilt (extra wide, tapered) , an inflatable pad, and a piece of tyvek for a ground sheet. Would the tyvek help in the hammock at all if I were to use it under the pad. Something to help cover the shoulders at least. With those three items i'm still lighter than a topquilt/underquilt combo.

I am thinking about switching to a hang system and had the same question. Wouldn't a tyvek underhang provide a wind and moisture barrier as a standalone or as an UQ protective layer?

Black Wolf
03-23-2014, 19:30
Unless you're in a bridge there will be no pad in a hammock as comfortable as an UQ. since the OP's question is UQ length for a thru-hike use a full length. They stay in place better, are certainly warmer in the worst of conditions. You can always vent your TQ and wear practically nothing in warmer temps. It's much easier to get cool then get warm. The pad under feet and piled up clothes is OK for a night, thru-hiking I would consider this as a nightly set-up, sound, recuperative sleep is far too important.

Another option is two(2) JRB's 45*F Stealths, if your budget allows that. I have used 1 with a torso length 30*F UQ to single digits / low teen's. ( with a 20*F GoLite TQ ).

Black Wolf
03-23-2014, 19:46
I am thinking about switching to a hang system and had the same question. Wouldn't a tyvek underhang provide a wind and moisture barrier as a standalone or as an UQ protective layer?

Short answer .. Yes
Tyvek provides no R value. It helps retain the R value of the insulation that you're using. A 8 mph wind takes away about 60% of the R value. Standalone for warmth isn't going to happen .. Slow heat loss due to convection somewhat (as a standalone). As a moisture barrier .. Drier is always warmer.

Shonryu
03-27-2014, 13:11
If you want a light weight UQ check out Hammock Gear. My 3/4 20 degree UQ with 2 extra ounces of down comes in under 15oz on my scale.

scope
03-27-2014, 13:36
If you want a light weight UQ check out Hammock Gear. My 3/4 20 degree UQ with 2 extra ounces of down comes in under 15oz on my scale.

Hammock Gear makes the lightest UQs I know of in comparing similar sizes. They also do custom work. Keep in mind that you're not limited to either/or when it comes to UQ length. OxGear is another maker that will do custom sizes - in fact, that's all he does is custom, and at a very reasonable price.

fastfoxengineering
03-28-2014, 15:20
If I were to consider bringing an UQ and a pad with me to have the best of both worlds. A neoair xlite and a 3/4 uq. Do you think it would be best to get a 20* or 40* underquilt. The 40* is 4 ounces lighter. When its colder, use the uq in conjunction with the neoair.

Thoughts?

hikergurl
03-28-2014, 20:23
If I were to consider bringing an UQ and a pad with me to have the best of both worlds. A neoair xlite and a 3/4 uq. Do you think it would be best to get a 20* or 40* underquilt. The 40* is 4 ounces lighter. When its colder, use the uq in conjunction with the neoair.

Thoughts?

i personally used an air pad the whole way through and used the ENO Hotspot to add coverage for my hips and shoulders. It was great combo especially further in the trail when the "crowds" thinned out and using a shelter was far more convenient (not often, mind you, but there were a few times). I especially was glad when I was in Waynesboro and the hiker campground was not hammock friendly.

If I needed an extra boost of warmth for my bottom, tucking a space blanket underneath the pad kept me plenty warm, though honestly, I only had to do that once.

msupple
03-29-2014, 08:41
Three quarter length under quilt. No water protection for top quilt unless your rain fly is tiny. Sit pad for feet-insert in sleeping bag!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm a full length fan but I like your idea of putting a sit pad inside the sleeping bag or UQ to prevent it from moving around. Only drawback I can think of is if the sit pad gets dirty etc....could be a hassle keeping it clean. I'm a stickler as to keeping the inside of my hammock dirt and sand free.

I'm considering taking a Neo air Xlite instead of an UQ on my next long distance hike so I don't ever have to worry about the down UQ becoming wet (had it happen in multiple days of heavy fog) and so I could go to ground if needed. (very rarely :)) BTW...I'm now in a WB Bridge hammock which really lends itself to pads.

Cat in the Hat

Cat in the Hat

msupple
03-29-2014, 09:10
i personally used an air pad the whole way through and used the ENO Hotspot to add coverage for my hips and shoulders. It was great combo especially further in the trail when the "crowds" thinned out and using a shelter was far more convenient (not often, mind you, but there were a few times). I especially was glad when I was in Waynesboro and the hiker campground was not hammock friendly.

If I needed an extra boost of warmth for my bottom, tucking a space blanket underneath the pad kept me plenty warm, though honestly, I only had to do that once.

I've also used a home made version of the hot spot and they do work great. I stopped using it due to the weight. The Hot Spot weighs 9 oz and is still too narrow for a NeoXlite full size which is what I use. I also have found I reall only need the extra protection in the shoulder area. Making one out of silnylon might be a good way to save some weight and could easily be custom built. Personally I have been using a Zlite pad cut exactly in half which I've found to be the perfect length to create wings by simply placing it sideways under my Xlite. It also doubles as an excellent sit pad. This allows me to eliminate the SPE/HotSpot altogether. Really it's six of one...half dozen of the other...all boils down to personal preference.

Cat in the Hat

Caddywhompus
04-06-2014, 16:46
I'm with Karl on the full length UQ. Cold feet is one of the worst things hammock camping in the now. I use a full length 20* UQ with a Hot Spot from ENO, sleeping pad and a 20* sleeping bag and i'm ok. Of course i'm cold natured but i'd rather carry an extra pound then have cold feet.

gravitino
10-22-2014, 18:08
Here's another quilt-maker worthy of your consideration. I have one of his 35° and it is top-notch: http://www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com/

Theosus
10-25-2014, 12:41
I tried a pad one night. I sweat all night through my back and froze on my stomach because I had to keep throwing back the top quilt to alleviate the sweating. Not fun at all. An under quilt is more like sleeping on a warm mattress. Very even warmth. I have the 0* hammock gear UQ and a 20* top. In the hennessy hammock the UQ is spread out more with the side ties. In an ENO, the UQ wraps up around you a lot better, and with the 0* UQ and the 20* top, you can stay very warm on cold nights. I don't even miss the hood/draft collar like my old sleeping bag had. One thing I do, though - I added a ridge line to my ENO when I replaced the suspension with whoopies. I have a down vest I wear on cold nights before getting in the hammock. I take the vest off, and place it over the ridge line over where my head is. It offers a little more wind protection around the head area and helps keep down the brightness of the full moon. It also helps you find your down vest in the morning.