PDA

View Full Version : In what order would you buy?

erieite
03-04-2014, 21:49
Now that I am approaching retirement age I would like to start Backpacking again. The technology of hiking equipment has changed over the years. If you were going to start from scratch what would you buy and in what order. Obviously I am starting of on small weekend hikes and would like to attempt a AT Thru-hike in 2017 when I retire. Any advice would be appreciated.

Feral Bill
03-04-2014, 21:54
I'd start with a good down sleeping bag. Best not be tempted to cheap out later when you have bought a bunch of other stuff. For us older folks, It's a lifetime investment.

bamboo bob
03-04-2014, 21:56
Bag, -pack, shelter

rafe
03-04-2014, 21:59
+1 on all that. Down is magical stuff. Get the high-grade (800) down if you can swing it.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2014, 22:14
Now that I am approaching retirement age I would like to start Backpacking again. The technology of hiking equipment has changed over the years. If you were going to start from scratch what would you buy and in what order. Obviously I am starting of on small weekend hikes and would like to attempt a AT Thru-hike in 2017 when I retire. Any advice would be appreciated.
footwear
pack
shelter
sleeping bag

Malto
03-04-2014, 22:25
Bag
pad
shelter
pack
everything else
IMHO a good bag is best investment and the pack should wait until major gear is purchased in order to gauge the needed size.

RCBear
03-04-2014, 22:28
A great pad...Did I mention a great pad? But first, I would get a great pad.

kayak karl
03-04-2014, 22:31
i would buy pack last, but that's me.

lonehiker
03-04-2014, 22:32
Agree with Malto, pack should be last of your big 4.

erieite
03-04-2014, 22:42
This is just what I was looking for. I'm not worried about the cost, at my age I need to be comfortable as possible and as Feral Bill said it's a lifetime investment. Please keep it coming!

Turk6177
03-04-2014, 22:55
I would buy bag first and then the pad. Then you can try those out when you buy your shelter. Lastly you can get your backpack. You can bring all the items you already purchased and put them in the bag prior to trying it on. To do it over again, I would go in that order.

rafe
03-04-2014, 23:20
Footwear is way important, but there's no point acquiring it more than a few weeks or months in advance of your need. It's entirely possible to hike the AT in generic shoes. Or barefoot. Don't need EMS or REI for shoes no mo.

Shelter is extremely important, but there's good news: tents are in general really good these days. You have to go out of your way to find a really bad one.

Good pack is crucial. Hopefully acquired early enough that you get some good practice hikes with the thing on your back, and are comfortable with it. Not just how it feels on your back, but how it's packed, unpacked and accessed throughout the day.

Your sleeping bag (in conjunction with your chosen shelter) is your last defense against hypothermia, in the worst case.

I'm a bit of a collector of down sleeping bags. I have five, at last count. The oldest was bought in 1971 and is still serviceable. The two newest (2007, 2008) are just gems.

AngelEyez
03-04-2014, 23:20
SHOP UR GOING OUTTA SEASON SALES great items on the cheap :) best of luck <train best u can get comfortable with ur pack>

Tuckahoe
03-04-2014, 23:36
footwear
pack
shelter
sleeping bag

I am glad someone else thinks this way. I have never been able to wrap my head around the concept that I'd choose a pack based on the gear I have selected. I would much rather tailor my gear to the pack. YMMV

rafe
03-04-2014, 23:52
I am glad someone else thinks this way. I have never been able to wrap my head around the concept that I'd choose a pack based on the gear I have selected. I would much rather tailor my gear to the pack. YMMV

It seems to me the pack is just a container. I'd match the container to the load, rather than the other way around.

LDog
03-05-2014, 00:08
I'd buy a big pack with a comfortable suspension, a great down bag, a full-length, comfortable pad, Jetboil stove system, stacking cookpot system, 2 person, freestanding tent, and backpacking clothing at REI. Then go hiking and feel pretty good about my kit, except for my sore, 50 yo shoulders and knees. So, then I'd start reading these forums, sectionhiker.com, and backpackinglight.com, and then start replacing stuff to lighten my load, starting with my pack, get a Lightheart Gear solo tent on sale, then go hiking with all that new stuff and realize what those UL dorks said was true, and that that I really didn't need 30% of what I packed, and that I really can go with a quilt instead of a bag, and that means that second pack I bought now has way too much volume. So then I'd buy another, lighter pack, but that's ok, cause the bigger pack is still good for my shoulder-season loads, and I can always sell all that other crap on eBay, and now I can start replacing nylon stuff with cuben fiber ...

Wait, no, that's what I did, I wouldn't do it that way.

(But I think most of us do ...)

rafe
03-05-2014, 00:26
LOL, LDog, that was a good rant.

4eyedbuzzard
03-05-2014, 01:54
I'd buy a big pack with a comfortable suspension, a great down bag, a full-length, comfortable pad, Jetboil stove system, stacking cookpot system, 2 person, freestanding tent, and backpacking clothing at REI. Then go hiking and feel pretty good about my kit, except for my sore, 50 yo shoulders and knees. So, then I'd start reading these forums, sectionhiker.com, and backpackinglight.com, and then start replacing stuff to lighten my load, starting with my pack, get a Lightheart Gear solo tent on sale, then go hiking with all that new stuff and realize what those UL dorks said was true, and that that I really didn't need 30% of what I packed, and that I really can go with a quilt instead of a bag, and that means that second pack I bought now has way too much volume. So then I'd buy another, lighter pack, but that's ok, cause the bigger pack is still good for my shoulder-season loads, and I can always sell all that other crap on eBay, and now I can start replacing nylon stuff with cuben fiber ...

Wait, no, that's what I did, I wouldn't do it that way.

(But I think most of us do ...)Stunningly accurate in many ways. But I think you have to make choices as well, which is hard to do in the beginning without going through the gear accumulation stage. Choices have to be made between hammock vs tent or tarp, bag vs quilt(s), type of stove, where and under what conditions most of your hiking is done - because all of these choices interact with the where and when factor which affects what size (and perhaps type) of pack you will need.

LDog
03-05-2014, 02:15
Stunningly accurate in many ways. But I think you have to make choices as well, which is hard to do in the beginning without going through the gear accumulation stage. Choices have to be made between hammock vs tent or tarp, bag vs quilt(s), type of stove, where and under what conditions most of your hiking is done - because all of these choices interact with the where and when factor which affects what size (and perhaps type) of pack you will need.

Exactly right. Many of us start at places like REI (Life member) without even knowing that there is a whole world of options not carried by them, or any big outfitter. The point of my rant was to do the reading first. Find out about the cottage industries supporting us with lighter gear. Determine for yourself if a hammock is a better option than a tent on the AT, (it is), and what the options are. Read the packing lists of those whove thru hiked more than once, triple crowners, the long term section hikers. Read every crazy post here on pack lists, knives, guns, fishing gear ... Read "Ultralight Backpackin' Tips: 153 Amazing & Inexpensive Tips for Extremely Lightweight Camping." Then start picking stuff up. Ultimately, it doesn't matter in what order you buy.

DocMahns
03-05-2014, 04:52
Exactly right. Many of us start at places like REI (Life member) without even knowing that there is a whole world of options not carried by them, or any big outfitter. The point of my rant was to do the reading first. Find out about the cottage industries supporting us with lighter gear. Determine for yourself if a hammock is a better option than a tent on the AT, (it is), and what the options are. Read the packing lists of those whove thru hiked more than once, triple crowners, the long term section hikers. Read every crazy post here on pack lists, knives, guns, fishing gear ... Read "Ultralight Backpackin' Tips: 153 Amazing & Inexpensive Tips for Extremely Lightweight Camping." Then start picking stuff up. Ultimately, it doesn't matter in what order you buy.

I was fortunate enough to come here first and read other people's mistakes (Thanks LDog!), I made a lot of good choices first time up. The only thing I regret in retrospect was buying a sleeping bag instead of a quilt.

bigcranky
03-05-2014, 08:09
You're going to end up swapping out gear after you get some experience - that's just the nature of it. By definition if you take other peoples advice, you get what they like, not necessarily what you will like. The key is to get out there and do some hiking, so I'd start with a good pair of hiking shoes and start walking as much as possible at home, and get out for short day hikes on the weekends. Once you want to do an overnight, you pretty much need everything all at once - pack, bag, pad, tent, kitchen gear, clothing, etc. You can get all this at a local backpacking outfitter or at a place like REI (though I'd avoid the big fishing and hunting places which tend to have much heavier gear.) If you really want to do it one time and get it almost all right from the start, you could go to the outfitter at Neels Gap in Georgia and tell them you'll be thru-hiking in a couple of years, and they will set you up with good AT-specific gear. The staff there are all experience long distance hikers and they carry gear that's not available in most places. Plus while you re down there you can do a great long weekend hike with your new gear :) .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

daddytwosticks
03-05-2014, 08:14
Pack last. With regards to a pad, try something cheap and simple first, like a foam pad. If you can't handle sleeping on a foam pad, try upgrading to an inflatable. With regards to clothing, try Walmart or Target. Excellent choices (Starter brand, Champion brand) and great bang for the buck. Try thrift shops too. If the equipment doesn't work for you, sell it for a pretty good return (50% to 80%) on your money here on Whiteblaze. Go cheap and easy until you really are convinced distance hiking is for you, then invest money in what you now know what you need and want. Happy hiking. :)

Starchild
03-05-2014, 08:40
Join some backpacking clubs/groups (see meetup.com) and go on several backpacks and see what they use and how that may or may not help you. Also reasize that there is a lot of very light weight cottage industry gear that is a leading choice for thru hikers, the big brands don't come close.

For me the first one would be a neo-air sleeping pad - though their are some unique lighter air mattresses.

Realize you have options, Consider a quilt instead of a bag, Hammoc instead of a tent, cuban fiber shelter over sil-nylon.

Your pack needs will get smaller, so buy it too early and you may have to buy another.

Since you are in the position of affording good gear, don't buy expensive gear that is not the top of it's catagory r you are likely to buy the top choice of gear later and have 2 redundant items. Better to save 50-90% of the cost and buy at Walmart, then replace with the top equipment when you figure out what you want. To this if you do buy something expensive consider getting it at a place that gives you a satisfaction garentee such as REI, so if it does not live up to it's expectations you can return it.

Drybones
03-05-2014, 08:59
Bag, -pack, shelter

Add a good pad to that, don't ruin the experience with a bad pad, took me a while to find the right one.

q-tip
03-05-2014, 09:00
1) Get a very good comprehesive gear list with weights and costs. (send me PM will send to you)
2) Define your hiking goals.
3) Get input from people that actually have experience.
4) Big three, bag, shelter, lastly pack.
5) Borrow/rent as much as possible and do some test hikes.
6) Buy the best you can afford. The technology has somewhat slowed down in hiking, your investment in good gear should last a longtime.
7) Use White Blaze liberally. There is an unbelievable trove of experience and wisdom to be found here.
8) Hike Your Own Hike (HYOH). Do what ultimately works for you.

RED-DOG
03-05-2014, 11:00
If i was just starting i would buy the gear in this order.
1 BackPack ( make sure you try it on at the outfitter before you buy it ).
2 Sleeping Bag and Sleeping Pad ( Synthetic will keep you warm if it gets wet, but Down is lighter ).
3 Tent ( a Good 1 person if Solo Hiking ) don't forget the ground sheet i use Tyvex.
4 Stove and Cook Pot ( i use the pocket rocket ).
5 Clothes and boots/trail runners ( don't forget the socks )
6 Fleece or down jacket.
7 Rain Gear
8 water filter ( Sawyer Mini Squeeze is a good one ).
9 A small first aid kit.
10 Water proof stuff sacks.
11 Miscelanous items such as small knife, finger nail clippers, etc.

Different Socks
03-05-2014, 11:51
I would agree with those that say buy the pack last b/c if you buy it anywhere near the top of the list, all the other gear may not fit if it is too small, or you may buy one too big and end up with too much gear. Buy all other gear first, then take it to the store and stuff it in a pack for the fitting.

Nooga
03-05-2014, 15:13
i would buy pack last, but that's me.

I agree…..

lemon b
03-07-2014, 02:15
First would be the sock, footwear combo.

swonut
03-07-2014, 08:51
I'd also not forget the used gear market-- Join up with you local club and maybe try to organize a "clean out your closet day" I know I've got just about three of everything as I progressed through the weights and options. Hammock vs tent. Single vs double, titanium pots, grease pots, alcohol vs canister, pocket rocket vs gigapeak vs jetboil. cutting ounces can get crazy at times as you browse the gear store-- yesterday I bought a sawyer mini to replace the sawyer.

Most of the gear today is pretty reliable, so it often boiled down to spending to get lighter materials and construction. If you have the inclination that you want to be an ultra-lighter, then spend the bucks to start with as it's much cheaper in the long run to spend twenty bucks more for your stove than to have to spend 90 bucks more later fir the Ti model after spending 7O to get the normal model.

slbirdnerd
03-07-2014, 09:49
I would agree with those that say buy the pack last b/c if you buy it anywhere near the top of the list, all the other gear may not fit if it is too small, or you may buy one too big and end up with too much gear. Buy all other gear first, then take it to the store and stuff it in a pack for the fitting.

I agree, get the pack close to last. For me, it's not just IF my stuff will fit in, but HOW my stuff fits in--what makes sense to go in each of the available spaces/pockets... If my stuff doesn't pack in a way that works for me during the day and getting to camp, it's not the right pack. If you just can't wait and want to get started (I get that!), be open to getting another lighter, better fitting, better working pack between now and your thru.

BZ853
03-07-2014, 11:16
Yeah I bought my pack first. A REI 60 L. And it forced me to limit everything I carry to that. It helps with weight

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

apd07c
03-07-2014, 11:47

It seems to me the pack is just a container. I'd match the container to the load, rather than the other way around.

Is one of these options objectively better than the other? In real world scenarios (not hiking), the container is almost always matched to the load. Packing a mircowave in 10'x10'x10' box results in a much bigger box than you need and the opposite is true for packing it in a 1"x1"x1" box. The only advantages I can see to picking a pack first are being able to set a limit on how much you can carry (to discourage carrying too much) and being able to use a particular brand/size pack you are favorable towards. However, both of these advantages could easily backfire on you.. ie ending up with a pack tha'ts too small or one that's unsuitable to your needs (but its my favorite brand)!

Am I missing anything here?

rafe
03-07-2014, 13:12
I think by your own explanation, there's a clear advantage to getting the pack after the rest of the kit, rather than before.

For sure it helps if the pack is matched to whatever it's carrying. And matched to your habits and style of hiking. I'll bet most of us have bought more than one or two packs in our lifetime.

Tuckahoe
03-07-2014, 13:36
Is one of these options objectively better than the other? In real world scenarios (not hiking), the container is almost always matched to the load. Packing a mircowave in 10'x10'x10' box results in a much bigger box than you need and the opposite is true for packing it in a 1"x1"x1" box. The only advantages I can see to picking a pack first are being able to set a limit on how much you can carry (to discourage carrying too much) and being able to use a particular brand/size pack you are favorable towards. However, both of these advantages could easily backfire on you.. ie ending up with a pack tha'ts too small or one that's unsuitable to your needs (but its my favorite brand)!

Am I missing anything here?

Honestly in the end I dont think that it matters one way or the other, it is a chick or the egg kinda thing. But so many of us though will get hung up on the dogma of the rules and the mottos.

Regardless if you bought your back first or last, your gear will change and evolve. All that gear that you put into your pack at the store to pick out which one you were going to buy, may very well not be the gear you are using 6 months, a year or two years from now.

apd07c
03-07-2014, 13:56
Honestly in the end I dont think that it matters one way or the other, it is a chick or the egg kinda thing. But so many of us though will get hung up on the dogma of the rules and the mottos.

Regardless if you bought your back first or last, your gear will change and evolve. All that gear that you put into your pack at the store to pick out which one you were going to buy, may very well not be the gear you are using 6 months, a year or two years from now.

Good answer. It seems, then, the real question should be, "What application am I using this pack for?" If you're looking for a pack that's good for one thru (1.43 zpack cuben comes to mind), with more or less one set of gear, then the buy gear > buy smallest pack to fit it all method applies. If you'd like wider wiggle room of options (winter load out) on a pack that is going to last longer than a thru (thicker dyneema) then maybe buying the pack first is a good idea.

Better yet, get one of each.

Just Bill
03-07-2014, 14:42
footwear
pack
shelter
sleeping bag

Couldn't agree with my pappy more-
Footwear first, closely tied with socks (although general concensus puts Darn Tuff socks from Vermont at the top of most lists these days, most prefer the midweight wool but all thier lines are good depending on your preference)

After that- Trekking poles- vastly affects your shelter choices.
Your shelter affects your sleeping bag and pad choice.

Since you are dayhiking mainly to begin with you can look into water treatment, clothing, and food choices.
As you spend more time out you can figure out what type of pace, style (more time walking, more time lounging, or somewhere in between), and what works for you.

Meet your dayhiking needs and figure out what you want out of your trips. Once you have it all figured out- find a pack that matches your style and gear.

Malto
03-07-2014, 17:01
Yeah I bought my pack first. A REI 60 L. And it forced me to limit everything I carry to that. It helps with weight

that funny. I also bought a REI UL60 first,
then replaced with an REI UL45
then replaced with a Golite Jam
then replaced with my current pack, MLD Burn.

this was a multi year evolution and thankfully I was able to sell the old packs for near top dollar.

BZ853
03-07-2014, 17:50
I tried to pack everything for my first week long hike and had to drop about half of what I had planned to bring and I loved the freedom it gave me. Now I find it difficult to use anything else even a backpack for a short overnight. When I finally get to through, I'm hoping that this pack will still be holding up so I can use it.

As an aside I've lost 40 pounds since picking up this pack and it still fits good with minor adjustments.

Robb871
03-07-2014, 18:06
You guys are really making me want to look into a quilt!!!!

OCDave
03-07-2014, 18:32
Hammock
Underquilt
Tarp
and a shuttle to the trailhead