PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit Review

Darwin13
03-05-2014, 08:18
http://thetraillives.com/2014/03/05/gear-review-ultralight-adventure-equipment-circuit-backpack/

Check out our gear review of the ULA Circuit on Trail Lives!

DeerPath
03-05-2014, 09:58
If you are thinking about buying a Circuit, check out my post.
Happy Trails

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?102147-New-ULA-Circuit-FS

BradMT
03-05-2014, 15:12
If you are thinking about buying a Circuit, check out my post.
Happy Trails

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?102147-New-ULA-Circuit-FS

I'd love to own a circuit... my problem is it's just too small. The main body of the pack is only 2,900 ci's.

I dislike gear hanging all over my pack. I'd like something right at 4,500-4800 ci's, not including exterior pockets.

I think ULA is fudging the numbers a bit by including the stretch pocket on the back and side waterbottle pockets. No other mfg I know includes those as ci stat's.

Give me a Bloody Greatsack with double daisy chains on the back instead of the stretch pocket and I'd be good to go.

I LOVE the fact ULA has the sense to offer different frame sizes (fits-all packs don't), and have also kept with the time-tested aluminum stays that are removable and customizable.

ULA stuff strikes me as great, well-thought-out gear... but I just will never know for certain as, to me, their packs are glorified day packs... they really need to offer a larger pack, with a slightly beefier suspension. Something approaching the 4lb - 4.5 lb mark wouldn't bother me one bit.

I've been using internal frame packs (quite literally by the dozens - though not all at one time :) ) since 1978, when I got my first by Synergy Works. I've done a fair bit of long-distance walking, and do think I know a bit about packs... I'd be happy to offer any thoughts to ULA, and field test anything related to a bigger pack. I really think they're the only pack co. out there on the right track... but they've left behind 70% of the market, and have certainly left me behind.

DocMahns
03-05-2014, 15:16
I'd love to own a circuit... my problem is it's just too small. The main body of the pack is only 2,900 ci's.

I dislike gear hanging all over my pack. I'd like something right at 4,500-4800 ci's, not including exterior pockets.

I think ULA is fudging the numbers a bit by including the stretch pocket on the back and side waterbottle pockets. No other mfg I know includes those as ci stat's.

Give me a Bloody Greatsack with double daisy chains on the back instead of the stretch pocket and I'd be good to go.

I LOVE the fact ULA has the sense to offer different frame sizes (fits-all packs don't), and have also kept with the time-tested aluminum stays that are removable and customizable.

ULA stuff strikes me as great, well-thought-out gear... but I just will never know for certain as, to me, their packs are glorified day packs... they really need to offer a larger pack, with a slightly beefier suspension. Something approaching the 4lb - 4.5 lb mark wouldn't bother me one bit.

I've been using internal frame packs (quite literally by the dozens - though not all at one time :) ) since 1978, when I got my first by Synergy Works. I've done a fair bit of long-distance walking, and do think I know a bit about packs... I'd be happy to offer any thoughts to ULA, and field test anything related to a bigger pack. I really think they're the only pack co. out there on the right track... but they've left behind 70% of the market, and have certainly left me behind.

What about the catalyst? It's bigger than the circuit and is honestly overkill for my thru. I wish I would have went with the circuit in retrospect. I'm just glad I can cinch everything down on it to make it smaller.

BradMT
03-05-2014, 20:03
Like I said, I want a 4,500-4,800 main sack capacity.

No ULA pack does what I want, including the Catalyst.

Pendragon
03-06-2014, 00:15
I dearly wanted to replace my trusty old Camptrails McKinley with a Catalyst, but even after my shakedown at Neels, the Osprey Volt 75 was the only lighter weight internal with enough volume to hold my gear.

DocMahns
03-06-2014, 00:39
how much gear do you have? I packed everything I could possibly think of in my Catalyst and I still have so much room to spare.

Sierra2015
03-06-2014, 04:14
The Catalyst looks huge....

lonehiker
03-06-2014, 06:55
Catalyst has been my go-to pack for years.

DocMahns
03-06-2014, 07:12
The Catalyst looks huge....

If you think the Catalyst looks huge, you should see my....

USMC ILBE!

colorado_rob
03-06-2014, 09:56
. You know, I thought the same thing until I actually bought one and loaded it up. I now think ULA is actually very conservative on their numbers. I cannot speak for the Catalyst or Circuit, as I own the OHM 2.0, but the main body 2100 cubic inches (low 30's in liters) ULA quotes seems very small compared to what it actually holds. I can put just as much stuff easily in the OHM 2.0 as I can in my 46 liter Osprey pack (which seems small for it's volume quote). Also: the exterior mesh pocket is HUGE, and holds a lot of stuff for easy access; I put all of my rain gear and insulating layer in it for quick access, plus a couple other things (even though these all fit in the main body as well). The side pockets and hip belt pockets are huge as well. It's nice having stuff easily accessed, and in these pockets stuff is not just "hanging all over the outside of the pack".

I am seriously looking at a Catalyst for my deep winter long trips where I have much more gear; I currently use a 75L Osprey Aether, but this is a heavy pack (5 pounds). thankfully it's spring and I can wait another year.

Bottom line: ULA is conservative in their volume quotes, you just have to try them out to see.

Nooga
03-06-2014, 12:41
Does anyone else have an issue with their ULA pack squeaking? I carried a Catalyst from Harpers Ferry to Mt. Katahdin and it squeaked with every step.

BradMT
03-06-2014, 15:32
how much gear do you have? I packed everything I could possibly think of in my Catalyst and I still have so much room to spare.

Heck, I don't know...

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa326/bradmacmt/Hunting/boraload_zps5f24df39.jpg

daddytwosticks
03-06-2014, 16:32
Does anyone else have an issue with their ULA pack squeaking? I carried a Catalyst from Harpers Ferry to Mt. Katahdin and it squeaked with every step.

You sure you didn't have a mouse hiding in that pack? My older model Osprey Atmos 50 squeaks. I've gotten so used to it over the years, I just don't notice it anymore. :)

bad biscuit
03-06-2014, 16:50
I used to have a larger pack (Kelty 80), but as I have replaced, upgraded, and left items at home that I don't need, the Circuit is more than enough In fact, for multiday three season hiking/camping it's not even close to full.

I haven't thru'd.
I haven't set foot on the AT.
I'm a clueless weekender.
YMMV.
HYOH.