PDA

View Full Version : My feet sweat. Need advice.

Matthikes
03-05-2014, 09:04
I was hoping that some of you thy are more experienced than I could give me some advice. My feet sweat and I know I need to take care of them on the trail as they are my only mode of transportation. They sweat so much on a normal day that some of the skin turns white and wrinkely like being in tge water to long. It doesn't matter what type of footwear I am wearing, flip flops to work boots, they sweat. On a normal day I wear tennis shoes and kick them off as soon as I get home and they will dry out and be good to go for the next day. What I am worried about is sweating more while hiking and my feet not being able to dry out. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Foresight
03-05-2014, 09:10
I'm no Dr., but I tend to believe there's a medical issue at play here. Other than that I would give you the same advice I would give someone looking to keep their feet warm....spray antiperspirant.

tarditi
03-05-2014, 09:20
Do they sweat from heat or overactive sweat glands or some other condition? The cause may determine additional precautions.
Spray antiperspirant will keep the feet from sweating, but it you may find yourself primed for dermatitis if that's the case -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deodorant (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deodorant) - you will need to have a rigorous cleaning plan if you do this in a prolonged manner.
Develop a foot cleaning/drying regimen when you take long stops - or force yourself to do this 2x per travel day, and an extra time when arriving at camp - depending on your needs.
Remove shoes and socks, change socks, powder feet - you may even need a second set of insoles if they are getting soaked.
Attach socks (and possible first insoles) to pack and let air dry until next stop.
Do NOT get goretex shoes - get ones that breathe well.

I recommend wool or other hydrophobic socks.

slbirdnerd
03-05-2014, 09:39
Non-waterproof hiking shoes or trail runners (not boots unless you have ankle problems), Fox River X-static liners and Darn Tough socks. This combo works for me. Mine don't sweat as much as yours but this combo has solved my big bad blister problem, which is also a function of moisture (and friction).

hobby
03-05-2014, 09:47
http://www.certaindri.com/clientuploads/directory/product_page/CD_group.png
^this

soulrebel
03-05-2014, 10:09
extra socks are nice. sometimes i'll buy cheap dress socks sometimes wearing two pair at the same time($ store)and replace them every few hundred miles to minimize funk buildup. Sometimes i soaked my feet in a trashcan with some bleach water to keep the Athletes foot away. On the trail, When i take longer breaks I'll air out my feet, socks, and shoes (away from other people eating lunch). I walk barefoot around camp and warm my feet by the fire. I'll also clean my feet daily with a baby wipe, or wash them in a creek (not a spring). If I'm too tired to do all that, sometimes i'll just spray them with some deodarant spray put on some clean socks and goto bed. (aka alcohol disinfectant). For calluses, i'd use sandpaper to keep them from getting too big and cracking. Running shoes are the way to go for sweaty feet...I'd wear sandals but my feet sweat too much for those and i'd be walking in a puddle... :( have fun out there!

soulrebel
03-05-2014, 10:10
for people that have hyperhydrosis---no antiperspirant is strong enough...even that certain dri stuff.

soulrebel
03-05-2014, 10:11
oh it's spelled hyperhidrosis woops

Damn Yankee
03-05-2014, 10:33
As stated previously, you need a good foot care regimen. Try a pair of knee high panty hose under your socks, powder your feet often, change socks often and inner soles. You may have to change your socks as many as three times a day depending on how many miles you put in so, every time you change socks, powder your feet,, change out knee highs and rotate your inner soles and if they are too bad, consider an extra pair of supportive, light weight shoes. As you said, your feet are very important so take the time to keep them well. Also when changing out, give your feet a five minute massage.

daddytwosticks
03-05-2014, 17:38
My feet sweat also. I wear mesh trail runners when I hike. In the warmer months, I wear two thin sock liners instead of the typical hiker socks. This and good foot hygiene make a difference for me. I carry wet wipes and foot powder also. :)

Just Bill
03-05-2014, 18:13
Consider minimalist shoes designed to be worn sockless. I still think a sock is a good idea but the sockless design means there are little or no hotspot issues from the shoe and you can eliminate one pair of socks.
A darn tuff wool sock is the best choice.

Other than a medical issue wearing a highly ventilated shoe with thin wool socks is the only physical change you can make. Many runners are going this route and finding reduction in blisters from maseration (prune feet).

Meriadoc
03-05-2014, 21:38
Sandals. Thin sock if needed during the break in period. It doesn't get any breezier than that. I backpack in sandals in the warmer months.

Matthikes
03-06-2014, 11:19
Thank you all for the tips and advice. I will start trying some of them before I get on the trail and see how they work out for me. Will update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2