PDA

View Full Version : Zip off pants that DONT stink

TurboPants
03-05-2014, 14:59
Ive decided for at least the first month of a thru I want to take some zip off convertible pants. But my complaint is the cheaper ones I have all stink like nobodies business after 1-2 days. I'm not one of the people who think I won't stink on the trail but the pants stink A LOT. Just curious if anyone found some more odor resistant pants. Obviously they don't make them out of wool so I'm not sure whether a nylon or poly blend would be better?? If anyone has brand that worked well for them I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

saltysack
03-05-2014, 15:04
I have a pair of mountain hardware convertibles that I have worn 13 days in row while doing my thru paddle up the St. John's river in fl on my sup...no smell just dirty...paddling not hiking though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
03-05-2014, 15:16
I just use el-cheapo REI Sahara zip-off pants don't really hold any odor even after many days. I've also used Columbia's, and they don't seem to hold odor either. both same synthetic material. I like the REI's better because the Columbia's are a tad tight.

DocMahns
03-05-2014, 15:17
I just use el-cheapo REI Sahara zip-off pants don't really hold any odor even after many days. I've also used Columbia's, and they don't seem to hold odor either. both same synthetic material. I like the REI's better because the Columbia's are a tad tight.

+1 on the Sahara's, cheap and loose enough for my large thunder thighs

burger
03-05-2014, 15:56
I've used a bunch of nylon zip-off pants and have never had any major smell issues with any of them. Even my nylon shirts don't get nearly as stinky as polyester.

Dogwood
03-05-2014, 16:28
Not trying to be disrespectful Turbo but I think it most often has to do with the smell generated by the wearer of the pants and how the owner of the pants works with his gear(possibly maintains his pants) than specifically the pants.:)

Chair-man
03-05-2014, 17:08
I suspect the ones you have are made of polyester like the one Sam's Club sells. I would say get something nylon.
I have these Eofficio Ziwa convertible pants (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~ziwa/?perPage=24) that I'm happy with. They're extreamly light and dry super fast and don't tend to stink right away. Great for warm weather Florida hiking. They're a bit expensive because of the built in bug repellant but you can usually find them on sale 30o/o off. Try Sierra Trading Post. 100 nylon.

daddytwosticks
03-05-2014, 17:18
I've asked this same question in the past with regards to hiking shorts with built-in liners. The smell can get really bad because of the polyester liner material. No answers or solutions as of yet. :)

AngelEyez
03-05-2014, 17:25
i use Timberledge nylon zip off pants from ll beans no problems :)

Ender
03-05-2014, 17:28
I've been very happy with the EMS brand I have. I've had them for years, and they even after 5 days on the trail they don't really stink that bad.

HikerMom58
03-05-2014, 17:30
Not trying to be disrespectful Turbo but I think it most often has to do with the smell generated by the wearer of the pants and how the owner of the pants works with his gear(possibly maintains his pants) than specifically the pants.:)

Saved by the smilie face, DW. :)

I have the cutest pair of NF zip off pants & they don't stink. :>)

saltysack
03-05-2014, 17:52

Maybe turbo is one of those ultra lighters that don't pack toilet paper!!!
:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiptoe
03-05-2014, 18:13
+1 on EMS convertible pants. They're very comfortable and have lots of pockets, and they don't generally reek.

HikerMom58
03-05-2014, 18:22
I've learned recently that saltysack is funny! :p

Damn Yankee
03-05-2014, 18:54
My pink tights work great and I feel beautiful wearing them

colorado_rob
03-05-2014, 19:34
Not trying to be disrespectful Turbo but I think it most often has to do with the smell generated by the wearer of the pants and how the owner of the pants works with his gear(possibly maintains his pants) than specifically the pants.:) Well, true to a point, but there are definitely some synthetics that stink a whole lot quicker than others, hence this discussion. I have one baselayer shirt that simply REEKS every time I wear it, even though when clean it has no smell at all. Other baselayers I have don't do this.

TurboPants
03-05-2014, 20:13
Checked the tags, mine are a polyester + cotton blend. Chalk one up for the mudd butt category. I am a huge fan of TP, so that's not the issue lol. Dogwood, if you still have all your goodies for sale let me know. I'm still interested in some stuff.

The other cause is likely I have always used normal cotton boxer briefs since I had not discovered exofficio's stuff. Normally I really don't sweat a lot or have too much BO, but this particular pair of pants WHEEW!! I guess it wouldn't hurt me to try out some REIs since they stand behind their products w/ satisfaction guarantees. I'll check them all out though, thanks for pointing me in the right reek free direction peeps!

Dogwood
03-05-2014, 21:15
Ahh, the picture becomes clearer. I'm not up on all the latest non stinky clothing options but I do know Cotton can quickly get an ohdoor. And that reek can make your convertible pants reek, which are also part cotton. Move into the 21 century. Get yourself some nylon skivies or with those supposed odor eating silver stands or these http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/shreddies-are-flatulence-filtering-underwear/#!yBOVr.

Dogwood
03-05-2014, 21:17
Better yet consider a kilt or join the Freeballers Hiking Club of America.

HikerMom58
03-05-2014, 21:22
Ahh, the picture becomes clearer. I'm not up on all the latest non stinky clothing options but I do know Cotton can quickly get an ohdoor. And that reek can make your convertible pants reek, which are also part cotton. Move into the 21 century. Get yourself some nylon skivies or with those supposed odor eating silver stands or these http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/shreddies-are-flatulence-filtering-underwear/#!yBOVr.

Ha ha!! I started a thread about the Shreddies a while ago. So funny!

Better yet consider a kilt or join the Freeballers Hiking Club of America.

Ahhh ha ha!! :D

@Damn Yankee.. I like pink! ;0)

TurboPants
03-05-2014, 22:31
I see no reason to waste a good fart, stinky convertible pants or not. In a group I may tame down the fireworks a bit, but hiking on my own I'm letting the bears and skunks know who's REALLY in charge. Okay I've just hijacked and derailed this thread!

Special K
03-06-2014, 00:09
I see no reason to waste a good fart, stinky convertible pants or not. In a group I may tame down the fireworks a bit, but hiking on my own I'm letting the bears and skunks know who's REALLY in charge......

Gives a whole new meaning to the name TurboPants.....LOL!!