PDA

View Full Version : er

squeezebox
03-05-2014, 20:09
I'm going to do some Ozark Trail maintenance this weekend, Chance of freezing at night, little chance during the day. I decided to not bring the sawyer filter. Too much trouble keeping it warm, I'll bring extra water & aqua mira. So I'm thinking as a general rule I'll use aqua mira if there is any chance of freezing. And have the filter sent to me after the chance of freezing is gone.
I know about keeping it in your pocket or under your clothes, in the sleeping bag
What do you do to insure clean water in freezing temps? & the integrity of your sawyer filter.

ALLEGHENY
03-05-2014, 20:34
Boil and make tea.

Dogwood
03-05-2014, 21:04
Many thanks for your service. I am looking forward to seeing a continuous Trans Ozark Tr. Ozark Tr(MO), Buffalo River Tr, Ozark Highlands Tr, etc. A continuous unbroken trail hikeable from St Louis MO to Fort Smith AR on the OK/AR state line would be on my must hike list.

Starvin Marvin
03-06-2014, 14:30
What do you do to insure clean water in freezing temps? & the integrity of your sawyer filter.

non freezing temps--> sawyer filter

freezing temps--> steripen.

Heat up your water (or snow), pour into a nalgene, and sleep with it for extra heat. Then you can treat the water in the morning, when its at a drinkable temp.

Spiffyguy
03-06-2014, 18:12
Boiling is the best method. I use portable aqua. Was on the OT a few weeks ago. Water got a little sloshy but I left it for the 4 hours. Seemed to work ok. Also keep your water in your tent at night. I stuck my bottle under my quilt or next to me while sleeping. No freeze up over night.