PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail Thru Hike Gear List Please Help

Darwin13
03-05-2014, 20:52
My friend Thru Hiked the Long Trail with this gear list. Now he is going to THRU hike the PCT this April. How would you lighten the load?

http://thetraillives.com/2014/03/06/long-trail-thru-hike-the-gear/

mirabela
03-07-2014, 00:22
Off the top of my head his list does not look too unreasonable. Bear in mind I'm not a gram-counting UL devotee.

I see four main areas to shave off significant weight. First, the pack -- if he's already subbed in something lighter for that 6-pound beast Gregory Baltoro, then good. He can do better than that.

Secondly, the 21 oz. sleeping pad -- that's heavy! If he can deal with the comparative discomfort of a 6-oz foam pad, he loses almost a pound.

Next, he's carrying a fleece jacket at around 20 ounces. He could go with something like a nanopuff pullover or equivalent and cut the weight in half.

Finally, I think he can probably do better than his 12 ounce rain jacket. Maybe save 5 ounces or so if he tries.

All in, he can get savings of maybe a little over two pounds on these items, more if he hasn't done something about that pack yet.

fireneck
03-14-2014, 23:29
Leave this stuff at home...

Pack cover - you already have a waterproof liner (trash bag)

EMS Foot print - you can save at least 5oz by switching to tyvek or a 3 mil plastic sheet.

Jet Boil Stove - Make your own fancy feast cat food can stove. 9 grams and they cost less than five dollars.

Bowl - Just eat right out of your cookpot, one less dish to wash.

gduff
03-30-2014, 12:08
Looks like you have the Gregory pack calculated in thetotal weight. I have the same pack which now lives in my closet unfortunately.Picked up a granite gear pack that's just over 2 lbs. That one item could saveyou over 3 pounds. That would be the most bang for the buck on your list. It isa struggle to replace ones investment in perfectly good gear in the interest ofsaving weight. 5 days of food plus water, fuel and some extra batteries addedto your base weight of 21 pounds would put your pack weight around 36 pounds orso.
I would also look into a lighter sleeping pad, tent andperhaps the cooking system if you want to reduce further. I would also suggestsome aqua-mira drops as a back-up for your sawyer filter. ($15.00 and a coupleof ounces)
You do have comments that you have replaced some of thegear so you are well on your way.