PDA

View Full Version : Old Rag

Shonryu
03-06-2014, 02:02
I'm planning a small 5 day NOBO section hike and want to incorporate Old Rag into it for my 4th day. Most of my my food will be gone so the rock scrambles will be more enjoyable.

I'm going to be doing around 60-70 miles total and dont like backtracking. I wanted to know where would be a good drop off point. I plan on using a shuttle to get on the AT and take the AT to get Old Rag. How far does the trail to Old Rag run off of the AT? Also once I go over Old Rag how far is to connect back to the AT and where would be a good drop off point for my vechile?

Since we would have a day left I would also have to find a shelter/ campground past Old Rag for my last night before heading back to my car. Any recommendations? I would also perfer to avoid leaving my car at the Old Rag parking. I will be starting on a Saturday morning and I dont think I will be able to make it there in time to beat the crowds so I think it would be better to hike past it and jump back onto the AT for another day. Im open to suggestions and ideas :)

restless
03-06-2014, 06:11
Here is a link to the map of the area: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/old_rag_area.pdf . There is an overnight camping area near the rock scrambles. Other than that, you would have to walk back up to the AT. There is not much in the way of backcountry camping along the way. It seems like most of the best areas for camping are no camping zones. Being a former Park Service Ranger in Shenandoah, I would recommend doing the AT section to your car, then having Old Rag as a separate day hike.

Southerner
03-06-2014, 12:22
I estimate that departing the AT to incorporate Old Rag would require about 17 miles off of the AT. As Restless mentioned, that could cause some logistical problems for you in terms of camping if you don't think you could do those 17 miles (and hard miles at that) in one day.

Nevertheless, here's what I would do if I wanted to complete your plan:

1.) Break from the AT north of Big Meadows to follow the Salamander Trail over Hawksbill (might as well add the extra scenery).
2.) Take the Lower Hawksbill Trail to Hawksbill Gap.
3.) From Hawksbill Gap, take the Cedar Run Trail for a few yards to the Horse Trail. You could take the Cedar Run Trail down the mountain, also, but it would be less scenic than what I describe below.
4.) Take the Horse Trail to the Whiteoak Fire Road, then the Whiteoak Fire Road to Whiteoak Canyon Trail. The waterfalls of Whiteoak Canyon are spectacular.
5.) Hike to the Whiteoak Canyon Parking Area, then take Weakley Hollow Fire Road to the Old Rag Trail (Saddle Trail & Ridge Trail). You'll end up going downhill along the open, rocky spine of Old Rag, which might actually be harder than doing it uphill, but it beats adding several miles to the hike by looping around.
6.) Reach the Weakley Hollow Fire Road again, turn left.
7.) Take the Corbin Hollow Trail to the Old Rag Fire Road.
8.) Take the Old Rag Fire Road back to the Horse Trail, then follow the Horse Trail to Skyland.
9.) Hit the AT again in time to still see Stony Man. Maybe even stop for a meal at Skyland as a reward for your hard, albeit scenic day.

Happy hiking, and enjoy SNP!

Dogwood
03-06-2014, 13:32
What Southerner suggested is exactly what I was going to offer. You can do that in reverse too. Start and end your hike at Skylands. I've also incorporated Cedar Run Falls into something similar zig zagging on various trails northwest/southeast(the trails tend to orient somewhat east/west in this area of Shenandoah NP) taking in as many waterfalls as I can and Old Rag on the same hike. After hiking the AT south from Skylands and crossing Hwy 33 I like hiking down the Cedar Run Tr past Cedar Run Falls and back up Whiteoak Canyon(upstream and uphill) past all the waterfalls rather than down the Whiteoak Canyon Tr(spectacular waterfall trail! especially if it has been raining recently!) Then back east on the Old Rag Fire Road to Old Rag where I pick up the Saddle/Ridge Trails. At the Ridge Tr TH I pick different routes each time to get back to Skylands. I've taken the Nicholson Hollow Trail to Corbin Cabin to Indian Run Tr(water almost the whole way, not that used of trails either) to a short stretch of the Old Rag Fire Rd to the horse trail back to Skylands BUT the better route/more scenic route IMO is to take the Nickolson Hollow TR all the way to Stony Man on the AT and do the short strech of the AT SOBO back to Skylands. That's way more miles than you want though. But, it does a more scenic understanding of this area of the NP.

Kingbee
03-06-2014, 13:39
There are a few good camping spots along the Corbin Hollow trail also.

Shonryu
03-15-2014, 11:25
Thanks for all of the responses. We made the decision not to include Old Rag in our hike so Im now trying to determine which part of SNP to do. What would anyone recommend as a good starting point and ending point for a 60 mile trip going NOBO. Once we get back to the car we will just drive to Old Rag for our last day.

Kingbee
03-16-2014, 01:16
You can park at the road crossing at 522 just outside Front Royal and hike from Swift Run gap(Rt. 33) north to the car. That's 63 miles. If you're unsure about leaving the car there for 4 days, look up hostels in Front Royal. If you add 9 miles, you could park at the Rt. 55 crossing. Better parking lot that's off the main road.

Shonryu
03-16-2014, 02:11
Is the Southern end of SNP a better section then the northern headed towards Harper's Fairy?

Kingbee
03-16-2014, 11:58
More views in the North section, but southern is more remote.

Shakespeare 1990
05-10-2014, 16:38
If I had never been to Virginia, I would detour from the AT for a day to hike Old Rag. But Old Rag is also a great day hike if you happen to be in the DC metro area with a free day and a car. If you have hiked Old Rag before, you know it would be a powerful temptation to leave the AT for a day or two.

Shakes

Shakespeare 1990
05-10-2014, 16:50
http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad314/jsstockburger/bff065f005798a5993da38a93bd6ac68_zpsdf256076.jpg