PDA

View Full Version : Blisters on balls of feet

WolfCBP
03-06-2014, 05:24
Any advice for what causes that? I get them whether the toe box is too tight, too wide, footwear too long......I have even purchased insoles and it doesn't help prevent. I am at a loss and do not get any other blisters except there. Thanks in advance.

Drybones
03-06-2014, 09:19
I don't have the answer but did have the problem, only once tho, last time out I had a blister on the ball of my foot the size of a silver dollar, about 1.25" diameter, the feet had been wet for many days so I know that was a main contributor, I don't get blisters until the feet stay wet for a period of time. IMO, it's a matter of being wet and foot motion in the shoe caused by uneven terain, IE rocks and angled train and to some extent socks, some of my socks feel course on the bottom.

Mobius
03-06-2014, 09:23
I'm sure there's more than one cause, but in my experience it's due to friction. I counter it by using BodyGlide and wearing two pair of thin, slippery socks. That way the socks slide against each other and not my skin.

BobTheBuilder
03-06-2014, 09:28
Two sugestions, both based on experience. First, spend as much time barefoot as you can before you hike to thicken and toughen that skin on the bottom of your feet. Second, Body Glide works wonders down there as well.

Old Grouse
03-06-2014, 09:34
Avoid goretex-lined shoes on hot summer hikes - or any other time, as far as I'm concerned.

Sierra2015
03-06-2014, 11:48
I always get those blisters when I wear high heels.

Do you grip with your toes when you walk?

Might be a slip issue or a sweat issue?

turtle fast
03-06-2014, 12:12
I had them once so bad on the North Country Trail so bad that it kinda hobbled me until I had to drastically drain the blisters the size of half dollars on both feet. I had not used a liner sock that day and was wearing socks that could of walked by themselves as my others were worse. I suppose using a liner sock with hiking socks provided friction relief as I had no more problems afterward. Now I always use liner socks and never had the problem again.

QiWiz
03-06-2014, 12:18
Sounds like you get the same pattern of blisters I get when I hike higher mileage days (like >12-15 miles/day) until my feet toughen up. I think it's just the pounding on my metatarsal heads (bones under the balls of the feet). On long multi-day trips, I just keep on hiking, painful as it is, and they eventually go down and become calluses (this takes 5-7 days of hiking typically). I have found I can toughen up my feet ahead of time by doing things like walking barefoot on a treadmill, stopping as I feel soreness develop under the balls of my feet but not yet blisters. This pattern is much worse if I do not wear liner socks (which I always do) or if my feet are wet (I use goretex socks to prevent this since I'm usually hiking in trail runners).

Photos of the pattern I get:

26225 26226

Not for viewing by the squeamish . . .

apd07c
03-06-2014, 12:26
I would go to the nicest shoe store I could and have them accurately measure length, width, height, arch type, etc. Ask them what type of shoes would work best for your particular type of foot. Lowering your pack weight to reduce overall pressure with each step also couldn't hurt...

Drybones
03-06-2014, 14:01
I always get those blisters when I wear high heels.

Do you grip with your toes when you walk?

Might be a slip issue or a sweat issue?

Me too.................

Drybones
03-06-2014, 14:03
Sounds like you get the same pattern of blisters I get when I hike higher mileage days (like >12-15 miles/day) until my feet toughen up. I think it's just the pounding on my metatarsal heads (bones under the balls of the feet). On long multi-day trips, I just keep on hiking, painful as it is, and they eventually go down and become calluses (this takes 5-7 days of hiking typically). I have found I can toughen up my feet ahead of time by doing things like walking barefoot on a treadmill, stopping as I feel soreness develop under the balls of my feet but not yet blisters. This pattern is much worse if I do not wear liner socks (which I always do) or if my feet are wet (I use goretex socks to prevent this since I'm usually hiking in trail runners).

26225 26226

Those look painfully familiar.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-06-2014, 14:15
Blisters on balls of feet

Is this anything like "Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes"?

Slo-go'en
03-06-2014, 16:30
Could be your feet are sliding around in the boot. Wet feet can be a problem too, so wear gortex boots, even in the summer.

WolfCBP
03-07-2014, 00:04
Appreciate all of the answers. I knew you all would be able to help. I will toughen up the feet and that should help reduce. I get it with or without GTX. Boots and trail runners too. Probably still sissy feet.

Shonryu
03-07-2014, 00:44
I got them once really bad and lost most of the skin on the bottoms of my feet but it was after several days of steady rain and averaging about 35+ miles a day.

I make it a habit half way through the day to dry my feet, put some baby powder in my socks, and put another pair of dry ones on and let the other pair dry out.

I use Iniji 5 finger mid weight ankle hiker socks, Montrel inserts, and Solomon Speedcross 3 with climashield. I also have a very thin pair of Darn Tough ankle trail running socks that serve as an emergency back up or sock liner. Taking small breaks to let your feet air out work wonders. Also make sure you get your shoes a size bigger because your feet do a lot of swelling.

Iniji x2 For hiking
Darn Tough crew x1 For sleep/ Camp
Darn Tough ankle x1 For back up or liner

Just Bill
03-07-2014, 17:46

26225 26226

These look more like what I call compression blisters. Hard to tell as these are large and look like the top layer of skin.

If close to the top- then socks and maintaining dry feet (non-mascerated) are the cure.
Oddly a less aggresive tread on your shoe may help, a little slip in traction as your feet land or push will make the sole of the shoe the pivot point and not your skin. Especially with a pack on many tend to pivot thier forefoot slightly to compensate for the weight of the pack. If the shoe tread "bites" hard in the trail the only spot for this force to go is the foot. As this is unconcious there is little you can do about it but it is common for even active folks who don't carry a heavy pack all the time.

Walking a half hour a day, two-three times a week on a sidewalk is the best cure, but even going barefoot around the house more often helps. So many of us get dressed, work, come home, and only remove socks for bed.

What I call compression blisters are more pea sized and deeper in the skin layer. Also from high mileage days and really incurable, although a lighter pack and/or cushier shoe would help. These type of blisters cannot be popped and just have to be walked off. I get them when I go from the flatter midwest to the hillier trails. If you have a blister you "can't find" this is likely what is happening and tends to be the "next level" of this type of blister. Basically you solve the surface issue and the same issue/force develops deeper in the skin. More training with a pack and less traction help some, but it seems to be one of those issues that develop the first week or two of steady travel.

Drybones
03-08-2014, 11:55
I broke down amd bought a pair of Superfeet green insoles (and they cost almost as much as the shoes) after hearing only good things about them, didn't think they would work after trying them due to the smooth surface and my foot slipping on them, but JustBill may have a good point about it being better for the sock to slip on the insole than the sock slip on the foot.

takethisbread
03-09-2014, 18:55
I have feet of a baby's bottom. right now I'm trying to walk a mile a day in bare feet on pavement. some say that callouses up your feet. we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk