PDA

View Full Version : A tougher AT quiz for all you smart hikers who aced the first one

4eyedbuzzard
03-06-2014, 06:39
Okay, that AT quiz posted yesterday was just way too easy for all of you WB trail experts.

So, here's a bit of a tougher AT quiz with no multiple guessquestions.

The answers are in light gray type so they are almostinvisible just below the questions.

Highlight this [SIZE=1]GET IT? blankarea to test.

The answers are in gray text below the question - flame me if I got a fewwrong!

There are 29 questions with 4 bonus questions for 99 pointstotal. Just so nobody gets a 100! :p

1) Where would a hiker find a "mouse trapeze"?

A in a shelter/lean-to

2) What illegal thru-hiker tradition, now more strictlyenforced, is associated with the CogRailway on Mt. Washington?

A - Mooning the Cog

3) What organization did Benton MacKaye work for?

A - U.S. Forest Service

4) In the original 1921 AT plan, what were the plannedsouthern and northern terminuses of the trail?

A - Mt. Mitchell and Mt. Washington

5) Where is "the dungeon"?

A- Officially called "The BackpackerSpace", the dungeon is a small bunk room in the basement of AMC's Lake ofthe Clouds hut.

6) Complete the phrase, "To walk, to see, to __ ____ ___ ___"

A- "see what you see"

7) Complete the phrase, "A footpath __ _____ ___ ___ __________ ____ ___ __________."

A - "for those who seekfellowship with the wilderness"

8) The AT is often called "The _____ ______."

A - "(long) green tunnel"

9) What are PUDS and MUDS?

A - Pointless ups and downs, andmindless ups and downs

10) What was the name of the first thru-hiker guide? [NOT THE DATA BOOK]

A - The Philosophers Guide to the AT

11) What is the great challenge a thru-hiker faces at PineGrove Furnace State Park in PA?

A - Eating an entire half-gallon ofice cream.

12) In which state does a thru-hiker encounter the LemonSqueezer?

A- New York

13) There was once a toll bridge on the AT. Which bridge was it? Bonus: How much was the toll?

A- The Bear Mountain Bridge (NY). Bonus:The pedestrian toll was 10 cents.

14) What is generally considered the most dangerous roadcrossing on the AT?

A - Palisades Interstate Parkway inNY

15) What is the hilly up and down section of the AT innorthern VA called?

A - The Virginia Roller Coaster

16) Name the three areas on the AT where dogs (other thanservice animals) are not permitted.

A- Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park,Bear Mountain Park Zoo section (NY), Baxter State Park (ME)

17) Name the only building the AT passes through.

A - The Walasi-Yi Center, akaMountain Crossings, at Neels Gap, GA

18) The AT is not the oldest long distance trail in the U.S., but it does share the same footpath for a stretch. Name the oldest US hiking trail. Bonus: Name the northern intersection where the ATand it diverge.

A - The Long Trail (VT). BonusMaine Junction

19) Name the only (very) short part of the AT that a hikercannot walk if they are following the official route.

A - Crossing the Kennebec River inME, where the official route is by canoe ferry.

20) Name the U.S. Supreme Court Justice who was a championof building trails and an AT "2000 miler".

A - Hon. William O. Douglas

21) What is generally considered the most photographed placeon the AT?

A - McAfee Knob (VA)

22) Where does a member of the "croo" work?

A - At an AMC hut in the WhiteMountains

23) What did Earl Shaffer say as to why he thru-hiked?

A - To walk off the war.

24) What is generally considered the most famous hostel onthe AT? Bonus: What organization runs it?

A - The Place, in Damascus, VA Bonus: The Damascus United Methodist Church

25) What is the name of the six sided shelter at Mt. Cube inNH? Bonus: Name the privy

A - Hexacuba Shelter Bonus: Pentaprivy

26) What organization built most of the original shelters onthe AT?

A - The Civilian Conservation Corp(CCC) in 1933 through 1942

27) What unique animals might a hiker encounter at GraysonHighlands in VA?

A - Feral ponies

28) What are the stacks of stones that mark the trail abovetreeline called?

A - Cairns

29) Who was the first "2000 miler" (first personto walk the entire trail, but not in one hike)?

A - Myron Avery, in 1936, while building the original trail.

Sierra2015
03-06-2014, 06:59
How about this!

hmm, how about this??

I dunno if this will work, Buzz. The background has too much beige or something.

4eyedbuzzard
03-06-2014, 07:21
How about this!

hmm, how about this??

I dunno if this will work, Buzz. The background has too much beige or something.I think it's good enough to play the game :) EDIT: The WB HTML editor is kind of clumsy.

Meriadoc
03-06-2014, 07:29
Much better! Thanks for putting the quiz together. #20 is neat. I had no idea a SCOTUS judge was a 2000 miler.

Don H
03-06-2014, 07:29
I would think 21 would be Springer.

Good quiz though.

Sierra2015
03-06-2014, 07:30
I think it's good enough to play the game :) EDIT: The WB HTML editor is kind of clumsy.
Notice my quote!!

Quote wrap your whole op with that color!

4eyedbuzzard
03-06-2014, 07:34
I would think 21 would be Springer.

Good quiz though.Good point, considering how many never get to _______________

rocketsocks
03-06-2014, 07:37
-3 on the bonuses.

:o

let this be a lesson...cyber hiking don't get it.

4eyedbuzzard
03-06-2014, 07:50
-3 on the bonuses.

:o

let this be a lesson...cyber hiking don't get it.To be fair, number 21 is very debatable, but the WB editor isn't co-operating in letting me change anything, so I don't think I can edit it and replace it with a better question.

rocketsocks
03-06-2014, 08:00
To be fair, number 21 is very debatable, but the WB editor isn't co-operating in letting me change anything, so I don't think I can edit it and replace it with a better question.
maybe you could grade on a pud.:D

Meriadoc
03-06-2014, 08:01
To be fair, number 21 is very debatable, but the WB editor isn't co-operating in letting me change anything, so I don't think I can edit it and replace it with a better question.
We have to remember that the majority of folks visiting the AT are not thru hikers. Thru hikers are a very small subset. Lots of people travel far to take pictures at McAfee. Whether it is actually the most photographed place . . . I don't know. Smokies likely get more people but are they photographed more? A place like Mt. Washington where people can drive and that draws folks from all over might be more highly visited too. Like you said, debatable :D. I commonly heard the answer as McAfee.

Who has hard numbers?