PDA

View Full Version : If you were going to have one baselayer... What weight would it be?

fastfoxengineering
03-06-2014, 12:08
I've searched and really haven't gotten definitive advice on this subject. On a thru hike starting in March heading northbound.

Would I better off with EMS techwick 1 (lightweight) or 2 (midweight) baselayers? top and bottom. These layers would primarily be used for sleeping in.

I don't plan on hiking in them unless its very cold. In that case, I would probably only hike in the leggings and wear my other long sleeve hiking shirt as a base layer.

I could also mix and match, lightweight bottoms, midweight top, etc.

A little more information, I primarily hike in nylon pants and a long sleeve 1/4zip even during the hottest summer months. Both are very lightweight.

I don't really see myself wearing them at all during hiking unless I get cold.

What's your input folks?

Malto
03-06-2014, 13:35
I would get the absolute lightest weight, quickest drying base layer you can find. If it gets wet you can get it dry quickly (either from rain sweat or washing.) if you need warmth, out on another layer.

Drybones
03-06-2014, 13:50
I would get the absolute lightest weight, quickest drying base layer you can find. If it gets wet you can get it dry quickly (either from rain sweat or washing.) if you need warmth, out on another layer.

Agree...........................

swonut
03-06-2014, 13:53
I went with the icebreaker 260 mid weight. Time will tell if that was a good decision. Plan to start 18Mar.

fastfoxengineering
03-06-2014, 17:00

Agree...........................

Looks like I'll pick up some EMS or REI lightweight base layers when they go back on sale. Accompanied with a student discount, can get them for a nice price.

Thanks for your input.

Don H
03-06-2014, 17:46
Mid-weight merino wool shirt.
I didn't carry or ever felt I needed a bottom.

bigcranky
03-06-2014, 18:23
The lightest merino wool that I could find. I prefer 150g/m2, and in March I bring long sleeve and short sleeve tops, and boxer briefs and long john bottoms. A base layer needs to dry quickly, which heavier layers don't do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

fastfoxengineering
03-06-2014, 19:08
The lightest merino wool that I could find. I prefer 150g/m2, and in March I bring long sleeve and short sleeve tops, and boxer briefs and long john bottoms. A base layer needs to dry quickly, which heavier layers don't do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Thanks for your input, I'll be picking up some of the lightweight baselayers. Either synthetics or capilene. Really wish I could afford merino wool, but it is out of budget.

So after I get my top and bottoms this is what I'm looking at. I would wear all this stuff to bed on them cooler nights.

Lightweight Synthetic Long Underwear bottoms
Lightweight Synthetic Long Underwear top
Exofficio Give-N-Go Boxer Briefs
Smartwool Merino Wool Beanie Cap
GI Issue Wool Glove Liners

You guys feel that should work well on a thru hike?

mainebob
03-06-2014, 19:31
we started out at spinger on 3/21/13 with ems techwick 1 tops and bottoms. kept them the whole way. Have the techwick 2 but never needed them.

fastfoxengineering
03-06-2014, 19:51
we started out at spinger on 3/21/13 with ems techwick 1 tops and bottoms. kept them the whole way. Have the techwick 2 but never needed them.

Outstanding! Thanks for your input

Bags4266
03-06-2014, 20:32
That is the main reason I don't use merino....but it does feel good.

The Cleaner
03-06-2014, 21:42
You can wear merino wool wet and still feel warm. Also you can wear it dry. Once any synthetic gets wet it's hard to dry if it's cold. I met a hiker last Oct. wearing 3 synthetic tops and was still cold, the temp was only 40*. I even wear a merino tee in the warmer months. Basically all synthetics are plastic. Natural wool is warmer and can be worn many days without a stink factor. Got all of my Smartwool and Icebreaker from S &C for about $50 each.

The Cleaner
03-06-2014, 21:54
That is the main reason I don't use merino....but it does feel good. I'd like to know if you have actually dried any clothing while out in cold & wet conditions. On the southern part of the trail most hikers with wet stuff just hike like all hell to get to the next town/hostel and use a clothes dryer...

Shonryu
03-07-2014, 01:45
I've experimented with several different brands ranging from patagonia Capilene 3, Terramore Silk Weight, and Golite Mid weight which would be the equivalent to a Capilene 2.

Capilene 3 was to hit for me.
Silk weight felt cold always against my skin even if I was warm. I really didnt like the way they felt.
Golite was perfect and I think I paid $20 for the top and $20 for the bottom. The top weights 4.9oz and bottom 4.4oz on my scales for both size medium.