PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the trail for charity...

CharlieMike
03-06-2014, 14:35
I'm a combat veteran doing the entire trail for the Wounded Warriors Project for obvious reasons and the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund in memory of my Mom. Check out the site below to see how it's interactive and fun to watch. Can't wait to hit the trail in July!

http://www.operationcharliemike.com/

Starchild
03-06-2014, 15:45
July? AT? Thru? :confused:

Mags
03-06-2014, 15:50
July 1st going SoBo would work well (Which is what he is doing). A 4 month hike has you finishing by Nov 1st.

I did the CDT with this schedule FWIW. The AT is both shorter and logistically easier than the CDT.

A young, in shape guy who is motivated can do a 4 month hike without too much issue.

Slo-go'en
03-06-2014, 16:19
It's getting to the point where every other thru hiker is hiking for some cause or charity.

Texaco
03-06-2014, 16:47
It's getting to the point where every other thru hiker is hiking for some cause or charity.

When I rode my bicycle across the United States in '07, I raised $11,000 for juvenile cancer research. It was a tribute to my grandmother who had liver, lung, and breast cancer, and who ended up dying when I was halfway across the country. I didn't do the ride to raise money. I didn't do the ride for cancer. I did the ride because I love adventures. Along the way, people who live vicariously through large scale adventures would often ask what they could do to help. I saw it as a way to raise money for something that was important to me and my family without asking people point blank. If they asked, I told them.

HYOH is applicable here. It's not a 3-mile walk around a local lake to raise money with 6,000 other people. It's an incredible journey that is physically and emotionally demanding. It's a life goal of many, achieved by few. If the guy wants to piggyback an important cause with his trip, I say good on him, and wish him luck.

IMHO, of course.

WingedMonkey
03-06-2014, 18:02
July 1st going SoBo would work well (Which is what he is doing). A 4 month hike has you finishing by Nov 1st.

I did the CDT with this schedule FWIW. The AT is both shorter and logistically easier than the CDT.

A young, in shape guy who is motivated can do a 4 month hike without too much issue.

From his wesbsite

Starting July 7th, I will trek south and aim to finish by October 7th.

Studlintsean
03-06-2014, 18:39
Thanks for the service and good luck from Osbourn Park HS Alumni.

Mags
03-06-2014, 19:39
That's a tad more ambitious...but not unheard of. :) to the op, any reason for a 3 month hike? A hike is very doable. A 3 month hike is
not impossible by any means, but is usually done by people with LD hiking experience. Talk to Malto; he has an excellent journal entry on what is needed to hike that pace

rickb
03-06-2014, 20:40
Liked your blog, Charlie Mike.

I don't read journals and such, but I think I'd really enjoy yours. Please try try not to break any of your important parts with all your hard training so we get the chance to hear more about your trip on the AT.

Foresight
03-06-2014, 20:54
Not the OP, but....

Objective
​This is a mission for us, not a nature hike. I will be missing some of the beauty of the trail, but when on mission, we move with a purpose and this purpose is a mental and physical challenge to finish in less than 3 months. Starting July 7th, I will trek south and aim to finish by October 7th.

Haters
I've been to many forums and found that the average first time thru hiker takes 5 - 7 months to complete the trail. I have been told by many experienced hikers there is no way I can do this in 3 months. Challenge accepted!

Lone Wolf
03-06-2014, 21:16
I'm a combat veteran doing the entire trail for the Wounded Warriors Project for obvious reasons and the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund in memory of my Mom. Check out the site below to see how it's interactive and fun to watch. Can't wait to hit the trail in July!

http://www.operationcharliemike.com/soldier on! i'll see you in Damascus with a check ready

Deer Hunter
03-07-2014, 00:12

http://www.operationcharliemike.com/

I hope you have a great hike and raise lots of money. I lost my momma to ovarian cancer, too.

CharlieMike
03-07-2014, 14:11
Texaco, Thanks for your words! Well said

CharlieMike
03-07-2014, 14:24
ricb, Will do on careful training... I'm already excited to start on my second book (which will be about the AT) and I still haven't finished the first one so I'll have plenty of hilarious stories to come... Thanks for reading!

Mags, thanks for the Malto referral and Foresight answered spot on! I had to think of an incredible challenge to push myself.

Lone Wolf, I look forward to shaking your hand in Damascus!

Deer Hunter, thank you for your words and support

Studlintsean, always good to hear from someone from the area I was raised in! Thanks for the support

Hope to see some of you good people on the trail!

ivylog
03-26-2014, 21:38
Wishing you well. If you are up for a home cooked meal, let me know when you come into Mountain Crossing at Neels Gap, my family would love to have you. I only live 10 minutes from Neels Gap, so I can come pick you up and get you back up there. The Wounded Warrior Project is dear to my heart. Wished they had something like that when my uncle came back from Vietnam..... And hoping it will still be around when my daughter gets out of the Marines...
If you are interested in the dinner,let me know and I will get you my number...

Crestview_hiker
03-27-2014, 08:01
I also am hiking for a cause, I am raising funds for for the CF (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation in memory of my late daughter who passed away at the age of 13. Please make a small donation for this cause.

https://secure2.convio.net/cffh/site/SPageServer?pagename=my_great_strides_center&pc2_page=center&fr_id=2680