PDA

View Full Version : Weight of LLBEAN Cresta Merino Baselayers

Paddlefoot
03-06-2014, 15:41
I ordered a midweight top/bottom Cresta merino baselayer set from LLBean - it was the only merino I could find in Tall size, which I need (I actually need XT - but that is a dream).

It seems like nice quality stuff, but I was dismayed that it weighed in at 25 ounces.

On lots of gear lists, I see base layers weighing 5 or so ounces for each piece.

Anybody know of lightweight wool baselayers that come in tall?

Is this weight unreasonable?

Thanks!

Meriadoc
03-06-2014, 16:11
I picked up one of these too. The midweight is much thicker than the baselayers you're talking about. Maybe wait for LL Bean's summer base layers to be available.

Night Train
03-20-2014, 14:11
Paddlefoot..... just ordered the same ensemble from LLBean, the listing didn't give any weight spec. Did you weigh this out yourself at 25oz? Both top and bottom? I agree, seems heavy weight for baselayer merino wool.

Paddlefoot
03-26-2014, 22:34
Paddlefoot..... just ordered the same ensemble from LLBean, the listing didn't give any weight spec. Did you weigh this out yourself at 25oz? Both top and bottom? I agree, seems heavy weight for baselayer merino wool.

Yup. I just weighed them again.

Top - 13.4 oz.
Bottoms - 11.3 oz.

Total 24.7

Feels like nice quality material, and the length is good, but that does seem a tad heavy, huh?

PD230SOI
03-27-2014, 06:02
LL Bean gear is often heavy, your results don't surprise me. With their return policy and focus on Family recreation they normally seem to over build stuff.

i am still waiting for my 22 year old tent to die so I have an excuse to buy a new one.

i have used their gear all my life and love them, but the name Bean and lightweight don't often come together in my mind.

Venchka
03-27-2014, 08:04
I've been trying to order since Christmas. They are now saying that my size (Medium) won't be in until July.
Thanks for the weights. That is actually good news to me. I have lightweight layers. I wanted the Bean wool layer for cold weather. Remember where L.L. Bean is located. They know cold. they know how to stay warm. I have a sweater from Bean that I can only wear when the temperature is below freezing.

Wayne

tiptoe
03-27-2014, 10:45
I got a Cresta midweight top (women's large) a few months ago, and I've been wearing it a lot this winter. I don't know how much it weighs, but it blocks drafts, keeps me warm, launders without losing its shape, dries fast, and doesn't stink.

Venchka
05-12-2014, 11:24
I got a Cresta midweight top (women's large) a few months ago, and I've been wearing it a lot this winter. I don't know how much it weighs, but it blocks drafts, keeps me warm, launders without losing its shape, dries fast, and doesn't stink.

The definition of perfect winter gear.
BTW, From the Backcountry Gear web catalog, Zip-T top weights are listed as: 6.7 to 10.23 ounces for Smartwool, usually the medium size is listed. Icebreaker weights aren't listed. The Bean Zip-T at 13.4 ounces for a TALL large version is not out of line for a midweight wool garment that is "guaranteed not to wear out."

Wayne