PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Finish my Thru-Hike Clothing System

fastfoxengineering
03-06-2014, 21:18
Hey guys, 2015 Nobo in the making. Plan on starting mid-march. I need some help finishing off what I should get for clothing. Here's my accumulated list so far:

EMS Techwick 1 Long Underwear - Bottoms
EMS Techwick 1 Long Underwear - Top

2 Pairs Darn Tough Hiking Socks - Used for primary hiking socks in rotation
1 Pair Cabelas Wool Camp/Sleep Socks - A little bit thicker and looser to stay warmer and more comfortable at camp

2 Pairs of Exofficio Give-N-Go Boxers - One for hiking, one for sleeping/town/camp

EMS Techwick 1/4 Zip Long Sleeve - Primary Hiking Shirt (I prefer to hike in a long sleeve, If i get sick of it, I'll cut the sleeves off lol, 1/4 zip lets me vent nicely)
EMS Nylon Trekking Pants (NON-convertible) - Primary Hiking pants (I prefer to hike in pants 90% of the time, I do not like convertibles, the zippers really irritate me)
Nike Dri-Fit Running Shorts - Mesh Liner Cut out (maybe used for hiking, swimming, sleeping, camp, town, etc)

Marmot Mica Rainshell
Frogg Togg Rain Pants

Smartwool Cuffed Beanie
1 Pair Army Surplus Wool Glove Liners
Bandana
Buff
Tilley Hat

insulating layer - ?
extra synthetic t-shirt - ?

As of right now, there's there's only one thing I think I'm missing. An insulating layer. I can't decide whether or not on a jacket,vest, or hoodie. I want something versatile enough that I can take with me my whole trip. I also want to add an extra lightweight t-shirt. I feel I may love having it. So right now, I want to add one, may send it home if I find I don't need it.

What are you recommendations for an insulating layer with this set-up, and do you have any further advice on my clothing system?

fastfoxengineering
03-06-2014, 21:23
I made it sound like this is what I'll be buying I already own everything besides the baselayer. Gonna buy that when it goes on sale. Been using old hot chillys for the past two years.

Shonryu
03-07-2014, 02:00
For a mid layer my go to is a Mont Bell UL and also a Mountain Hardwear Fleece Microchill Zip Tee.

Mont Bell size medium is 7.4oz
Microchill Zip Tee 7.3oz

Fleece as another option incase my down gets wet. They complement eachother.

Microchill for hiking and down for camp. If I need some extra warmth use the zip tee with my down in camp. Another option instead of the fleece is a Montbell Synthetic Vest. I think they weight 6.5oz. But I personally perfer the fleece for the wind protection. I also carry a Mont Bell wind jacket that weights 1.6oz

My philosophy is several pieces that are light weight so I can regulate my temperatures better because I get cold very easy.

Base Layer
Hiking Shirt
Fleece
Wind Jacket
Down
Rain Shell

Some other options that I would recommend that I use.
Mont Bell EX 5.5oz
Patagonia Down Shirt 5.6oz
Golite Selkirk 6oz

Shonryu
03-07-2014, 02:02
If you want an extra shirt check out Golite I have two of their synthetic tops that are for running that the site says 3oz but they come up on my scale in a size med at 2.4oz I dont mind carrying an extra shirt for that weight.