PDA

View Full Version : Trail condition in Maryland?

swales142
03-07-2014, 03:08
Anyone in the Maryland area that could give me a little insight on trail conditions as far as snow goes. I'm planning to hike from Harpers Ferry north about thirty miles, just hoping to see what I'm getting into..

Do what you wanna do...

Mrs Baggins
03-07-2014, 06:09
I led a hike this past Saturday from Gathland to the Garvey shelter and back. The trail overall was in good shape. There were occasional patches of snow and some ice but easy enough to negotiate. No real muddy boggy spots but that will change as the weather warms up and that snow and ice melt. Of course, we did get about another 5" of snow on Monday but it's melting off pretty fast and was very light and powdery.

swales142
03-07-2014, 06:28
That's good to hear. I just didn't want to get there and find two fokt of snow like my trip by Duncannon

Do what you wanna do...

FarmerChef
03-07-2014, 11:19
I'm about 3 miles from the trail in Virginia just south of the Maryland border (as in 5 minutes from my house). Where the sun is hitting, especially anything dark in color like leaves or stone, the snow has melted. Where shade persists so does the snow but we're mainly talking about 3 or 4 inches at higher elevations and about 1 or 2 inches at 300 feet (I'm in the foothills not on the mountain proper). This weekend is forecast to have highs in the 40s and 50s which should do away with much of what's left. It will make everything soggy so expect wet feet and campsites but otherwise not a big deal. No crampons, spikes, or snowshoes required :D