PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions Snickers Gap to Keys Gap Norhtern Virginia/West Virginia

GK5188
03-07-2014, 09:44
Anyone been on the trail recently between Snickers Gap and Keys Gap? Just trying to get a gage on the trail's condition before heading out for a shakedown hike this weekend. Thanks, G

FarmerChef
03-07-2014, 11:12
I have not but live very, very close. We still have snow on the ground at 300 feet and as I drive by the mountain I can still see plenty of white. That said, I'm guessing the amount is down around 3 or 4 inches tops at this point and, with higher recent temps, it's probably crusted over a bit on top. Shouldn't be too much trouble for walking though you might have a bit of sogginess when making camp as we have very warm temps predicted this weekend. Can't speak to blowdowns as I haven't been up there recently.

And welcome to White Blaze! You live about 25 minutes away. So welcome, neighbor :)

GK5188
03-07-2014, 13:12
FarmerChef..... Thanks for the welcome and the update. I suspect the melt will mess things up a bit, but I have built some flexibility in the trip so we can make other arrangements, such as shorting the trip to a long day hike if its really wet. Appreciate the info, G

GK5188
03-10-2014, 08:49
FarmerChef..... Did this hike this past weekend. It was great. There conditions were pretty much as you called it, but worth getting out there and enjoying some time in the woods. We encountered a few icy spots, but nothing to bad. It should all be gone in a few days. Stayed at the BTC HIker Hostel and hiked out to the south on Sunday. I appreciate the information. It helped make a great weekend. Thanks, G