PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that use and carry oil for cooking on the trail

Different Socks
03-07-2014, 10:56
what kind do you prefer?

Olive
Peanut
Canola
Veggie
Coconut
Pumpkin Seed
Corn
Sun Flower
Sesame
Safflower
Soybean

For my next long hike, I'm thinking of taking small bottles of Peanut, Pumpkin, and Sesame.

FarmerChef
03-07-2014, 11:04
I prefer Olive for its nutritional benefits, though when I bake muffins or brownies I would prefer peanut oil or non-gmo vegetable oil (like that even exists anymore).

Starchild
03-07-2014, 11:06
I tried olive oil but did not like it. I would consider butter.

FarmerChef
03-07-2014, 11:09

Don't forget clarified butter. Not technically an oil, but pure fat at that point and shelf stable. Same with rendered lard. I carry both when hiking depending on meal selection.

Hot Flash
03-07-2014, 11:21
Olive oil.

Sierra2015
03-07-2014, 11:23
I prefer Olive for its nutritional benefits, though when I bake muffins or brownies I would prefer peanut oil or non-gmo vegetable oil (like that even exists anymore).
(Probably doesn't, lol. But I prefer gmo over pesticides.)

For cooking I like olive, coconut, and peanut. Occassionally will use regular vegetable oil.

Rocket Jones
03-07-2014, 11:40
Olive or coconut. Butter or Ghee during the cooler months.

ALLEGHENY
03-07-2014, 11:48
EVOO 1st cold press.

The Kisco Kid
03-07-2014, 12:24
As an Italian-American, it's olive oil all the way. Whatever oil you do choose, you'll want something that packs the most calories per weight. Olive oil is up there at 120 per tablespoon.

Make life easy on the trail and choose one go-to oil.

soulrebel
03-07-2014, 12:47
canola, leftover bacongrease

FarmerChef
03-07-2014, 12:49
canola, leftover bacongrease

mmmm bacon grease. I'd cook anything on the trail with that.

Foresight
03-07-2014, 12:50
Olive & bacon grease

SunnyWalker
03-07-2014, 13:35
Olive Oil as I know it has a lot of calories. However, I might try some of the others you listed a they look kind of yummy. Would you post the calory comparisons for us?

Different Socks
03-07-2014, 18:41
Olive Oil as I know it has a lot of calories. However, I might try some of the others you listed a they look kind of yummy. Would you post the calory comparisons for us?

In the past, I've only used squeeze bottles of butter. But for my next hike I wanted to add different flavors to my scratch pasta dinners. Last couple of years I've used only olive oil, but will now try sesame and peanut. So sorry I can't give you the info on cals unless I take it right off the bottle.

Starchild
03-07-2014, 19:03
...Would you post the calory comparisons for us?...

Calorie wise they are all pretty much equal, and far more calorie dense then anything else, and also capable of fueling Mack Trucks, so there is massive energy there in all of them. The next category of 'food' in terms of calories per weight might just be ethanol (200 proof), but that has it's own issues. But as far as oil/fat goes just take what works for you.

Dogwood
03-07-2014, 19:31
what kind do you prefer?

Olive
Peanut
Canola
Veggie
Coconut
Pumpkin Seed
Corn
Sun Flower
Sesame
Safflower
Soybean

For my next long hike, I'm thinking of taking small bottles of Peanut, Pumpkin, and Sesame.

I'm with Marcovee. KISS. I've only taken EVOO and coconut oil on hikes. I would like to hear your account with those three oils after your next hike.

I do take PB/peanuts, other nut butters(almond, hazlenut, cashew, macadamia, walnut, etc), coconut flake/dried coconut milk/water, pepitas, raw sunflower seeds, sesame seed as well as sesame seed paste(Tahini), hemp seed, flax seed and flax meal, chia seed, etc on trail.

googlywoogly
03-07-2014, 20:56
At 130 calories per tablespoon you can't go wrong with coconut oil. You can put a couple of tablespoons of it in your coffee and it will keep you marching until well past lunch time!

jason22
03-07-2014, 21:12
I plan on bringing
1 oz of toasted sesame oil (in eye dropper - makes chicken ramen extra tasty)
4 oz homemade ghee

handlebar
03-07-2014, 23:44
I carry extra virgin olive oil in a small plastic bottle that holds about 260 ml (inside a ziploc, just in case). Been using that system for all my hikes and haven't had a leak yet, knock wood. I pour a couple tablespoons into every evening meal for the extra calories and flavor enhancement. OO is a fairly healthy oil, tasty, and has excellent calories for the weight.

Odd Man Out
03-08-2014, 00:47
All oils will have essentially the same number of calories per gram or per Tbsp. The exception would be butter as it has some protein and water in it (something like 100 cal/Tbs instead of 120). Clarified butter (ghee), would be more like pure oil. If it is a liquid at room temperature, it will be higher in unsaturated fats. If it is a solid at room temperature, it will be higher in saturated fats. I like olive oil.

Trailweaver
03-08-2014, 02:00
Depending on the food I plan to make, I take olive oil (pastas) or vegetable oil (fish). I almost always take a bit of liquid (squeezable) butter in a small bottle for flavoring up grits or vegetables. I know some of the ultra-lighters would howl about the weight (note that I didn't say I take all three!), but I really like to cook, and I like to eat well when I'm out there. I've also enjoyed watching others drool while I'm "cooking" and they're eating something out of a foil bag. ; - ) Obviously, if you're a thru hiker, you do lighten up, and then eat your oils in town.

Wise Old Owl
03-08-2014, 02:55
I prefer Olive for its nutritional benefits, though when I bake muffins or brownies I would prefer peanut oil or non-gmo vegetable oil (like that even exists anymore).All oils at room temp that do not solidify have the same "benifits"

Well not to be blunt - butter is not the same as oil as it can do things at higher temperatures. Fry an egg in butter at low or medium temps imparts flavor. Cant do that with high temp as it burns. Oil is the original non stick. OO at low temp imparts great flavor (as a salad) not so much at high temp - so a cheaper oil can be used that will still fry - and not burn.

(Probably doesn't, lol. But I prefer gmo over pesticides.)

For cooking I like olive, coconut, and peanut. Occassionally will use regular vegetable oil.

Ouch... GMO killed millions of Honey bees recently (Monsanto). Until the science comes in... well we will just have to disagree for a while. Genetically Modified Organism can be attributed a long established science. There is broad scientific consensus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_consensus) that food on the market derived from GM crops poses no greater risk to human health than conventional food. However, opponents have objected to GM foods on several grounds, including safety issues, environmental concerns, and economic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics) concerns raised by the fact that GM seeds (and potentially animals) that are food sources are subject to intellectual property (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property) rights owned by multinational corporations - see Genetically modified food controversies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food_controversies) GMO is older than the 1800's! Don't take my word for it... look up the history of corn or peas.

One thing does stick out, DuPont makes the most successful insecticides for food and farmers. They sell billions and tonnage and makes America the king of produced food on the planet. Without the scientist's, & Govt oversight, as a country we would be a third world nation and starving... as a terrible example on my part, Africa has been practicing free range and natural for some time.. How do you think that has been working? There is another issue at play... but you can ask and I hope you get the point... in easy layman terms Pesticides are not the same as Genocide or Homicide. Pesticides are to control insects that harm crops and have been in use for 2000 years. Pesticides were developed by Egyptians and it was a powder, and we still use it today! Seriously the banning of one insecticide made here in the USA in the past condemned millions of African children in the future to death in several nations and continents. (DDT) a travesty the press has ignored and won't talk about. This isn't about throwing anyone under the bus - but I have to continue to study to hold my job because I love it. There is a lot of misconception everywhere.

I carry extra virgin olive oil in a small plastic bottle that holds about 260 ml (inside a ziploc, just in case). Been using that system for all my hikes and haven't had a leak yet, knock wood. I pour a couple tablespoons into every evening meal for the extra calories and flavor enhancement. OO is a fairly healthy oil, tasty, and has excellent calories for the weight.

All oils will have essentially the same number of calories per gram or per Tbsp. The exception would be butter as it has some protein and water in it (something like 100 cal/Tbs instead of 120). Clarified butter (ghee), would be more like pure oil. If it is a liquid at room temperature, it will be higher in unsaturated fats. If it is a solid at room temperature, it will be higher in saturated fats. I like olive oil. Nice post! +1

I don't want to upset anyone here... but if you decide to listen to a one sided view of the press, you are in for a disappointment. I love learning, reading up on things that currently happen.. good or bad. I am here because we are all here to share thoughts and invigorate... Serious...that in itself is fair. woo

Different Socks
03-08-2014, 10:54
For those of you that carry oil in whatever volume container, if you carried it on a thru, how did you refill such a small bottle over and over again?

Different Socks
03-08-2014, 10:58
Depending on the food I plan to make, I take olive oil (pastas) or vegetable oil (fish). I almost always take a bit of liquid (squeezable) butter in a small bottle for flavoring up grits or vegetables. I know some of the ultra-lighters would howl about the weight (note that I didn't say I take all three!), but I really like to cook, and I like to eat well when I'm out there. I've also enjoyed watching others drool while I'm "cooking" and they're eating something out of a foil bag. ; - ) Obviously, if you're a thru hiker, you do lighten up, and then eat your oils in town.

Gotta agree with you about the drooling. Several times on my hikes of the AT, PCT and CDT, I've had hikers say, "how can you carry such a large bottle just for butter?" But then next thing you know, they are bartering whatever they can for a squeeze shot for their bland tasting dinners.

QiWiz
03-08-2014, 12:52
what kind do you prefer?

Olive
Peanut
Canola
Veggie
Coconut
Pumpkin Seed
Corn
Sun Flower
Sesame
Safflower
Soybean

I almost always carry olive oil, adding 1/2 oz to even a full ounce to dinners. I refill my small plastic bottle from olive oil I ship to myself in resupply boxes by sealing a few ounces in a plastic sleeve using a heat-sealer. It is very difficult to find a small plastic bottle of olive oil for sale in stores.

Sierra2015
03-08-2014, 14:40
I almost always carry olive oil, adding 1/2 oz to even a full ounce to dinners. I refill my small plastic bottle from olive oil I ship to myself in resupply boxes by sealing a few ounces in a plastic sleeve using a heat-sealer. It is very difficult to find a small plastic bottle of olive oil for sale in stores.
Dollar General travel shampoo bottles? (The ones your fill yourself of course. Lol)

MuddyWaters
03-08-2014, 14:45
For those of you that use and carry oil for cooking on the trail

Not for cooking, Olive oil is really more of a food staple.
You can get the 1/2 oz packets from minimus if you dont want to carry containers.
A water bottle works fine and is light to carry oil.

Canola is another non-trans fat oil, and is cheaper, works for boosting cal too.

Odd Man Out
03-08-2014, 14:53
...There is broad scientific consensus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_consensus) that food on the market derived from GM crops poses no greater risk to human health than conventional food. However, opponents have objected to GM foods on several grounds, including safety issues, environmental concerns, and economic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics) concerns raised by the fact that GM seeds (and potentially animals) that are food sources are subject to intellectual property (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property) rights owned by multinational corporations...

Excellent point. Too often I see GMO bashers complain about supposed health risks where I see little evidence for that. They diminish their cause by focusing on this when the issues beyond the safety of the food are more compelling.

Sierra2015
03-08-2014, 15:39
Excellent point. Too often I see GMO bashers complain about supposed health risks where I see little evidence for that. They diminish their cause by focusing on this when the issues beyond the safety of the food are more compelling.

I agree! Great, intelligent response.... Superior to whatever I have to say, lol.

I'm not too sure if gmo's are killing off the honey bees, there are several different theories (fungicides, global warming, bee hating parasites, and a poor diet. I personally like to blame pesticides. Lol.) Or even if I should be concerned about the honey bee dying.... They're not indigenous and they've out-eaten natural born bees into near obscurity and while they're a great cash crop it wouldn't be the be all and end all if they died off.

Now, who wants to talk about nitrogenated soil? :D

Odd Man Out
03-08-2014, 17:00
...Now, who wants to talk about nitrogenated soil? :D

An often overlooked point about global food production is that about 4% of the world's natural gas consumption (representing about 1.5% of the world's fossil fuel consumption) is used to make ammonia to fertilize crops, and that fertilizer is required to produce about half of the world's food. Or to put it another way, if the entire world immediately switched to fully organic farming, half of the world's population would have no food. Despite the trend in the developed world to reject the role of science and technology in the production of food, most people don't have that luxury.

Sierra2015
03-08-2014, 17:22
An often overlooked point about global food production is that about 4% of the world's natural gas consumption (representing about 1.5% of the world's fossil fuel consumption) is used to make ammonia to fertilize crops, and that fertilizer is required to produce about half of the world's food. Or to put it another way, if the entire world immediately switched to fully organic farming, half of the world's population would have no food. Despite the trend in the developed world to reject the role of science and technology in the production of food, most people don't have that luxury.
I'm not pro-organic. (Though I do wish people were more careful with chemicals.) I was joking about the serious tangent.

Dogwood
03-08-2014, 17:43
Whoa, I feel like I've just been exposed to a pro GMO pro Monsanto marketing campaign freight train on a cooking oil thread. Who's pushing what now?

First, perhaps, were thinking about different things. What benefits are you referring to because all oils are not the same nor have the same benefits/affects/pros/cons? Please site your sources of this statement: "All oils at room temp that do not solidify have the same "benifits"

Second, the traditional plant hybridizing that has ocurred in the past such as was espoused by Gregor Mendel in the 19 th century through the period before the first GMOs were approved by the FDA ARE NOT THE SAME as current genetically modified organisms despite what proponets of GMOs profess. VERY DIFFERENT techniques and plant science/plant hybridizing are involved. Genetic engineering involves invading the cells which is NOT the same as traditional plant hybridizing as Mendel espoused! Do not confuse the two and make it seem like what is happening now in the field of GMOs is the same as what has traditionally ocurred in the field of plant hybridizing. Mendel and traditional plant hybridizers never suggested to combine the genes of a plant with a firefly to create a glow in the dark plant which is what current GMO research has achieved.

What's also concerning to this Hortculturalist is that when genes of two entirely differnt genus are combined, sometimes in two very differnt genus that would never naturally form a new genus(a plant and a firefly for example), the new genetically modified strand of DNA can contain "unknown material and sequencing!" More concerning than even that, is that we often have little to no idea of the full consequences of this newly engineered DNA! That's more than a little bit concerning to me!

Despite what the proponents of GMOs state there is plenty of concern about the effects of GMOs such as increased allergic reactions in humans from the new proteins that are created in GMOs(medical concerns are mounting about the increased allergies that COULD have at its cause GMOs!, makes me wonder about some of the current trends in allergic reactions!), the affect on other life organisms(again, one of the concrens is how these new proteins are going to affect other life forms, we don't know!), and the contamination(cross hybridizing) that occurs between GMOs and non GMOs. And, once this cat is out of the bag, and problems begin to be fully scientifically realized, it may be too late to easily get the cat back in the bag. This was one of the big issues about GMOs voiced by independent scientists(not bought out or heavily influenced by Big Ag and the political machine behind it nor the GMO labs craze) was that they have been released into an open ecological system WITHOUT having been fully scientifically studied. Their voice has largely been igniored or hushed though. While it is generally correct that not many scientific studies have been conducted affirming the dangers of GMOs, just because this vacuum exists, it is NOT evidence in itself that GMOs absolutely do not pose major issues. The lack of evidence(because the studies have not been done - funding lacks big time) is used as proof by GMO proponents that GMOs pose no risk. This is the hallow argument that GMO proponents use. GMOs wider possibly more troubling affects are largely unstudied!

Dogwood
03-08-2014, 17:52
The cause(s) of the enormous honey bee die off, by some estimates more than 1/2 the world's honey bees have died off in the last decade or so, hasn't been fully determined. Some studies point to a combination of factors. It's a bit too much and too early and really hasn't been publically announced that the honey bee die off is caused by GMOs. Maybe, will find GMOs have something to do with the die off and maybe GMOs have nothing to do with it. Let's not jump to conclusions without seeing some proof.

handlebar
03-09-2014, 21:44
For those of you that carry oil in whatever volume container, if you carried it on a thru, how did you refill such a small bottle over and over again?
In larger towns I could often find EVOO in 250ml bottles. The 260ml Welch's grape juice drink bottles I use to carry it have a fairly wide mouth, like a Vitamin Water ot Gatorade bottle. I simply poured the OO from the store container, usually glass with the little pour spout found on OO bottles, into my juice container.

When I occasionally had to buy a 500ml bottle of OO, I'd share with another hiker, directly, or via a hiker box, or give the excess to someone in town at the hostel, motel, etc.

Sierra2015
03-11-2014, 05:53
I often feel like people are scared of the wrong things. Science is amazing and each generation is a guinea pig for the next. Only time will tell what's a legitimate concern and what's media hype.