PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the Base Weight

Odd Man Out
03-07-2014, 11:11
Since first reading about the UL Backpacking trends a several years ago, I have been working to completely re-do a gear list which previously had been a pathetic hodge podge of old, out of date, borrowed, rented stuff. I now have just about everything ready. The plan is to make one or two week-long trips each spring/summer as work schedule/spouse allows. Possible destinations include the AT, the trails in MI, MN, and PO along Lake Superior, and out west (Grand Canyon, Mt Rainier, Sierras), at least to start. Thanks to all here for the advice I've received.

I've been picking out gear based on the weight/function of each individual item, but it wasn't until last night that I got around to weighing everything and adding it all up. I was amazed to find my base weight came in around 14 lbs. That doesn't include clothes worn and trekking poles, food or fuel. It may go up slightly as I tweek a few things (like hip pockets to my pack belt). But that also includes my Canon SX260 Camera, Columbia Fleece and North Face Rain jacket that came in at brick-like weights of 9.5, 23 and 14 oz. I suppose I could upgrade the NF, but that's a low priority now. Not sure if I really need a fleece for a summer hike in VA, but it will double as a pillow. I really like to take nice pictures and the camera on the antique flip phone is useless (otherwise, no electronics).

Here are the highlights: EH Kalais pack, SMD Skyscape Trekker tent, Underground Quilts Flight Jacket (55"x78", 40 deg, 2 oz overstuf, 700 treated down), Neoair Trekker (wide-torso), short 3/8" CCF pad (for legs), Z-Packs Bear Bag kit, Olicamp XTS pot with Zelph Starlyte stove, DIY pot stand/wind screen, pot cozy from AGG kit, Sawyer Mini with threaded adapter, 1 L Sawyer bag, 1 L Evernew bag, 2x20 oz Gatorade Bottles, BD Spot Headlamp, Keen Voyageurs (not waterproof), BD Alpine Ergo Corks Poles. And of course, 2xDarn Tough Socks (micro crew cushion) and paper maps.

My two "off the wall" choices: Kupilka Cup and Wooden Spoon. I'll see how those work out.

http://www.kupilka.fi/en/tuotteet/kupilka-21
http://www.oxo.com/p-1234-wooden-small-spoon.aspx

Again thanks for everyone's input.:banana

FarmerChef
03-07-2014, 11:15
You're welcome. Fwiw, the fleece all comes out of my family's packs in the summer pretty much anywhere along the trail except for NH and points north. In it's place goes a long sleeve merino base layer and maybe a lightweight windbreaker.

Odd Man Out
03-07-2014, 11:57
You're welcome. Fwiw, the fleece all comes out of my family's packs in the summer pretty much anywhere along the trail except for NH and points north. In it's place goes a long sleeve merino base layer and maybe a lightweight windbreaker.

I have a LS Merino 1/2 zip top plus merino bottoms. Plan was to use those for sleeping. I suppose I could use them for cool evenings/morning when not hiking instead of the fleece if needed. Just need to work out a pillow in that case.

FarmerChef
03-07-2014, 12:38
If you bring spare clothes consider a stuff sack. We use gallon ziplocks for the kids. Fill them with unworn clothes, inflation with air optional. My wife and I use the Thermarest reversible stuff sack pillow that has felt on one side and nylon on the other. In the summer there's always enough in there to have a nice pillow. When it's cold in the winter and I'm wearing everything to bed it's a bit harder ;)

Just Bill
03-07-2014, 14:48
Congrats young man.
I wouldn't sweat the fleece much, once it sweats you you'll leave it at home anyway.
If you had a few bucks to rub together the Patagonia 50% sale officially just ended- but there are some items left. A nanopuff jacket has replaced my fleece.

Odd Man Out
03-07-2014, 22:14
Congrats young man.
I wouldn't sweat the fleece much, once it sweats you you'll leave it at home anyway.
If you had a few bucks to rub together the Patagonia 50% sale officially just ended- but there are some items left. A nanopuff jacket has replaced my fleece.

Thanks, but I'm hardly young! Perhaps I'll ditch the fleece for summer and rig up a workable pillow (neglected that detail on a trip to N Manitou Island and didn't sleep much all weekend). Maybe that would get me to a negative base weight, if you count the fact that I've lost 13 lbs since Jan 1. Trying to get into shape. Now that's UUL.

Weather-man
03-08-2014, 06:35
Thanks, but I'm hardly young! Perhaps I'll ditch the fleece for summer and rig up a workable pillow (neglected that detail on a trip to N Manitou Island and didn't sleep much all weekend). Maybe that would get me to a negative base weight, if you count the fact that I've lost 13 lbs since Jan 1. Trying to get into shape. Now that's UUL.

I'm at the age where a pillow is becoming an essential for a good night's sleep. The problem that I have is that as I've gone lighter in terms of gear and gear amounts I've found that I don't usually have enough clothes to stuff into a sack to use for a pillow at night. I'm usually wearing most of those clothes to stay warm when sleeping.

One of the items that I'm playing with is a medical pillow that I bought on eBay which weighs in at about 17 grams, IIRC. I've tried it for a few nights and it seems comfortable/durable enough. Here's a vid from Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTL6FTLsFG0

I also use a Zpack pillow stuff sack which has a fleece side to it. This is kind of heavy at about 1.5 oz though works well with the med pillow inside. Total weight is a about 2.2 oz.

I may eventually drop both of these items and get a dedicated UL pillow. These can be found in the 3 oz range but seem nice a durable. The weight penalty is about an oz heavier than the Zpack/Med pillow set up.

q-tip
03-08-2014, 13:13
Excellent, It took me 4 years to get 5 lbs out of my kit. Great Work, the scale really brings things into the light.....

Odd Man Out
03-08-2014, 14:36
I'm at the age where a pillow is becoming an essential for a good night's sleep. The problem that I have is that as I've gone lighter in terms of gear and gear amounts I've found that I don't usually have enough clothes to stuff into a sack to use for a pillow at night. I'm usually wearing most of those clothes to stay warm when sleeping.

One of the items that I'm playing with is a medical pillow that I bought on eBay which weighs in at about 17 grams, IIRC. I've tried it for a few nights and it seems comfortable/durable enough. Here's a vid from Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTL6FTLsFG0

I also use a Zpack pillow stuff sack which has a fleece side to it. This is kind of heavy at about 1.5 oz though works well with the med pillow inside. Total weight is a about 2.2 oz.

I may eventually drop both of these items and get a dedicated UL pillow. These can be found in the 3 oz range but seem nice a durable. The weight penalty is about an oz heavier than the Zpack/Med pillow set up.

I've seen those pillows before. You can get them here for for $0.95 each for the large, plus $4.95 for shipping. It seems you can order up to 5 for the same shipping cost.

http://www.colonialmedical.com/flexair-pillow-P-2451.html

I've seen that Z-Packs bag too. But I hate spending another 30$ for a bag. Will think about it.

Weather-man
03-08-2014, 20:10
I've seen those pillows before. You can get them here for for $0.95 each for the large, plus $4.95 for shipping. It seems you can order up to 5 for the same shipping cost.

http://www.colonialmedical.com/flexair-pillow-P-2451.html

I've seen that Z-Packs bag too. But I hate spending another 30$ for a bag. Will think about it.

To be honest your post got me thinking...I'm probably going to get an exped pillow and drop the Zpack pillow sack/med pillow set up. My sleep clothes used to just go in the bottom of my trash bag with the sleeping bag on top. I'll go back to doing it that way and I think by going this route I can save about an ounce but more importantly have a nice, durable pillow.

Odd Man Out
03-09-2014, 00:02
If I ditch the fleece, I definitely won't have enough clothes in my clothes bag to make a good pillow. I didn't realize my fleece was so heavy until I weighed it. I figured that it would be doing double duty so it wasn't so bad. But for a summer hike, ditching the fleece and getting a pillow may be the way to go.

Just Bill
03-09-2014, 13:29

Looks to me like you already have a pillow. Two twenty ounce bottles with a water bladder or two on top makes a fine pillow. 3/4 full of air or water is equally comfy. Or consider upgrading one of them to a 3L if you don't find them comfy enough. A bandana tied around the bundle will keep it together and give you a nice surface to lay your head down on. A 2 gallon ziplock is also effective for this purpose.

The clock ticks on us all, but getting in shape, learning new tricks, and getting out to live your life makes even an old dog young. Congrats.

Odd Man Out
03-09-2014, 22:52
Looks to me like you already have a pillow. Two twenty ounce bottles with a water bladder or two on top makes a fine pillow. 3/4 full of air or water is equally comfy. Or consider upgrading one of them to a 3L if you don't find them comfy enough. A bandana tied around the bundle will keep it together and give you a nice surface to lay your head down on. A 2 gallon ziplock is also effective for this purpose.

The clock ticks on us all, but getting in shape, learning new tricks, and getting out to live your life makes even an old dog young. Congrats.

Thanks - can certainly play with these ideas.