PDA

View Full Version : Montbell EX Light Down Jacket Review

Darwin13
03-07-2014, 17:49
This ultralight jacket can be used as a stand alone insulation layer in the summer or part of a more versatile layering system when temperatures start to drop. It is incredibly light and uses only the lightest materials. Check it out!

http://thetraillives.com/2014/03/07/gear-review-montbell-ex-light-down-jacket/

Dogwood
03-07-2014, 19:38
Darwin, nice pic of your girl and you. That wasn't your sis was it? :) I wish this had hand pockets though. That's why I like my discontinued MB UL 850 Down Inner Jacket. Seems kind of ironic to me that my Inner Jacket had pockets while this piece you reviewed, which I've always seen worn as an OUTER Jacket, has no hand pockets.

FamilyGuy
03-08-2014, 03:25
Call me a heretic, but I would love to have one with a hood. A hood would only add an ounce or so, but the increase in warmth is quite measurable.

BrianLe
03-08-2014, 04:06
Trade-offs, each to their own. I love mine and wouldn't want pockets or a hood. As it is, it's low enough in both weight and bulk that I'll toss it in my pack on a day hike where I otherwise might carry less in the way of "emergency insulation". On the other end of the spectrum, it layers very well to keep me warm in colder conditions, and very often is my only insulation layer on 3-season backpacking trips.
I find it works well enough to put my hands in my pants pockets if I really want pockets; I'm normally just wearing it in camp anyway, or at brief breaks, so no big deal for me.

colorado_rob
03-08-2014, 09:56
Call me a heretic, but I would love to have one with a hood. A hood would only add an ounce or so, but the increase in warmth is quite measurable. I have two otherwise identical Montbell UL down jackets, 2-3 years old, one with and one without the hood. both have the pockets. The hooded one is 2.4 ounces heavier; the non-hooded, 7.7 ounces, the hooded one 10.1. These jackets are amazingly versatile and I carry one of these ALL the time in Colorado for high altitude multi-day trips. I use both heavily, depending on the season, and sure, the hooded one is warmer, but not needed much of the time. When I return to the AT this spring, early April, I'll have the non-hooded one. When I return again late summer (early September) to Maine and head SOBO to finish, I'll carry the hooded one.

I agree w/ Brian that the pockets are not really needed, and I would gladly lose mine to shave the unneeded weight, however slight. I also just put my hands in my pockets; seems more comfortable than the pockets that my jackets have.

FamilyGuy
03-08-2014, 11:58
I backpack where it can snow in July (Canadian Rockies) so every little bit of warmth would help. With the EX fabric and down fill, the addition of a hood would be closer to 1 oz. I also use a hooded jacket for my sleep system with my quilt so the hood is a must.

i agree about the pockets, however.

BrianLe
03-08-2014, 12:22
I agree it would be nice to have a hooded option. Different form factors for different goals/uses, however. I really like that my windshirt doesn't have a hood or a full-length zipper --- not just about the weight, but the bulk is low enough that I can stick it in my pants pocket or pants cargo pocket so I'll bring it along on local walks when I don't want a pack (or fanny pack).

I also find that the hood on my R1 hoody is a bit of a mixed bag. It's great that it's "always there", don't have to dig for a hat if I'm a little chill, or put one away if I want to take it off (the hood). OTOH, I find that it sort of pulls my head down and puts very mild pressure on my neck sometimes that I could really do without.
I admit that's not a factor with a down jacket, however. I love the hood on my Alpine Light parka.

Leanthree
03-08-2014, 17:44
I like mine, just wore it today and have been using it regularly for the past 2.5 years. The only damage to it was one ember which I was able to seal the hole with a drop of super glue. Holds up pretty well for fragile fabric.

jeffmeh
03-08-2014, 18:24
Achilles took one on his AT Thru, and still uses it all the time. It is a beautiful piece of gear and I covet it, but can certainly live with a synthetic EMS jacket at about a pound for the time being. :)

88BlueGT
03-19-2014, 14:21
I feel like having the jacket NOT taper down towards the bottom is a big deal for me. It's creating an opening to lose heat and isn't as comfortable...... or am I just crazy?