PDA

View Full Version : Ultra run practice trail

Sunshine82
03-07-2014, 18:35
Does anyone know a good not super hilly trail in western nc or east tn I can get a good practice run for a 50 k

Mobius
03-07-2014, 20:39
Does anyone know a good not super hilly trail in western nc or east tn I can get a good practice run for a 50 k

Take a look at Frozen Head State Park in TN.

BabySue
03-07-2014, 21:20
The Virginia Creeper Trail is 56K in length. The AT from Cross Mountain Road / Hwy 91 (Carter/Johnson County Line) to Damascus is about 20 miles. It's gradual and mostly downhill if you go northeast to Damascus, mostly gradually uphill if you leave Damascus and head southwest.

Lone Wolf
03-07-2014, 21:39

Damascus. we have the AT, Creeper Trail, Iron mtn. trail and forest service roads. perfect training for a trail ultra.

Malto
03-07-2014, 22:56
Personally I have found the AT to be very "runnable". Yes you may be walking some of the steeper hills but you get great downhill work as well as a lot of practice with metering your effort. I trained for the Grand Canyon R2R2R using the AT in Georgia. It made running the Grand Canyon seem like child's play.