PDA

View Full Version : Warbonnet suspension

blue indian
03-07-2014, 19:38
In the quest to go lighter, I have been going over all of my gear and figuring out ways to reduce weight on each item.

One item that sticks out is my hammock setup. I'm currently using a Warbonnet single layer 1.7, Warbonnet edge tarp, Warbonnet 20 degree yeti UQ, golite 3 season 20 degree TQ, and 4 msr groundhog stakes.

I would love to replace the tarp with a hammock gear hex but thats out of the question due to the costs. (Unless someone has one they want to unload!) Ive thought about getting another quilt rated between 40-50 degrees but again, not trying to spend $200 on something I don't need.

So here are my thoughts on reducing the weight of this system without buying a new hammock, new tarp, and new quilt....

1. Change out the suspension on the blackbird. It currently has the stock cinch buckle system. Im assuming the lightest and most compact suspension would be a whoopie sling setup. Ive been looking at the BIAS "all in one" suspension for $25. But here is my hesitation....is changing that suspension to save 3-4 oz worth the hassle and money? From what Ive seen, it just seems that the cinch buckle system is just much more convenient to setup and adjust than a whoopie sling setup. Id like to to hear from those of yall that have used both...

2. Instead of buying another TQ (especially for summer and spring use) Ive been thinking about going to the fabric store and buying some fleece and sewing a TQ. It would be cheap and light, although Im not sure how light it would be. Has anyone ever used a fleece blanket for spring/summer use? Any other UL alternatives to buying a new down TQ?

Any other input or advise is appreciated. Thanks WB!

OCDave
03-07-2014, 20:00
I like Whoppie slings. I have spliced several sets. They are fun to make and fun to use. However, the stock suspension on the Blackbirds is perfect. I couldn't improve it and wouldn't sacrifice it for a few grams.

Nothing wrong with a light fleece blanket for top insulation but, a down top-quilt will be warmer, lighter and more compressible. Perhaps you might consider a DIY top-quilt. For summer weight you could use a sewn-through baffle design.

Good Luck

apd07c
03-07-2014, 20:18
Get rid of the stakes and tie off to your surroundings (rocks, bushes, branches, roots)

You can save 8 oz + by switching out your UQ for a foam pad.

You have the lightest tarp currently made by WB. They used to make an asym diamond that would save you 4 oz. I have one and would entertain some sort of trade if you are interested.

I've tried several suspensions. Stock cinch buckle is my go to. Takes like 15 seconds to set up a BB this way. Do you really want to be fumbling around with knots, cords, whatever.. in the cold/rain/snow?

This saves about a pound. There are other ways but they are more expensive, which sounds like something you want to avoid.

kayak karl
03-07-2014, 21:31
i have both and prefer buckles. just easier. take stakes, tying off to a bush in a wind storm might not work or make stakes every stop. consider a poncho liner (http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/abu-poncho-liner-p9063.aspx?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CNaelNbkgb0CFWuhOgodSH8Ahw) for a summer tarp. cut a hole in center and wear as a camp jacket also.

apd07c
03-07-2014, 22:05
then you need to find a sturdier bush! :) j/k

this system may not work for everyone/situation. yrmv

blue indian
03-08-2014, 14:13
I like Whoppie slings. I have spliced several sets. They are fun to make and fun to use. However, the stock suspension on the Blackbirds is perfect. I couldn't improve it and wouldn't sacrifice it for a few grams.

Nothing wrong with a light fleece blanket for top insulation but, a down top-quilt will be warmer, lighter and more compressible. Perhaps you might consider a DIY top-quilt. For summer weight you could use a sewn-through baffle design.

Good Luck

Do you have any suggestions or a pattern to make a quilt. I would like to give it a go!

gunner76
03-08-2014, 14:14
You did not say how your were attaching the the hammock straps to its self around the tree. I recommend a Dutch Ti Clip
http://dutchwaregear.com/dutch-clip.html a pair weighs 15 grams

Leave the current BB suspension as is. The couple of ounces you might save is not worth the hassle ( I own 2 BBs and my wife has a BB and RR ). Military Poncho Liners makes a good warm weather TQ, weighs about 1 lb.

A pad can weight less but they are a pain to use in single layer hammock and they are more bulky.

blue indian
03-08-2014, 14:17
Get rid of the stakes and tie off to your surroundings (rocks, bushes, branches, roots)

You can save 8 oz + by switching out your UQ for a foam pad.

You have the lightest tarp currently made by WB. They used to make an asym diamond that would save you 4 oz. I have one and would entertain some sort of trade if you are interested.

I've tried several suspensions. Stock cinch buckle is my go to. Takes like 15 seconds to set up a BB this way. Do you really want to be fumbling around with knots, cords, whatever.. in the cold/rain/snow?

This saves about a pound. There are other ways but they are more expensive, which sounds like something you want to avoid.

Im pretty set on my UQ, just didnt care for the pad much.

I also like the shape of the edge tarp. I think its a more versatile shape for weather and ground use. Thats why Im wanting a hammock gear hex tarp. Same shape a dimensions basically but 7 oz lighter, but it is $150 more. Thanks for the offer though. I might try and sell the edge tarp and just go for the hammock gear hex....

blue indian
03-08-2014, 14:18
i have both and prefer buckles. just easier. take stakes, tying off to a bush in a wind storm might not work or make stakes every stop. consider a poncho liner (http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/abu-poncho-liner-p9063.aspx?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CNaelNbkgb0CFWuhOgodSH8Ahw) for a summer tarp. cut a hole in center and wear as a camp jacket also.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like making the change to whoopies just isnt worth it.

Ill look into the poncho liner for sure.

blue indian
03-08-2014, 14:21
You did not say how your were attaching the the hammock straps to its self around the tree. I recommend a Dutch Ti Clip
http://dutchwaregear.com/dutch-clip.html a pair weighs 15 grams

Leave the current BB suspension as is. The couple of ounces you might save is not worth the hassle ( I own 2 BBs and my wife has a BB and RR ). Military Poncho Liners makes a good warm weather TQ, weighs about 1 lb.

A pad can weight less but they are a pain to use in single layer hammock and they are more bulky.

I agree about the UQ vs pad.

Im currently using some biners from REI that are definetly too bulky and heavy. They arent climbing biners but close to it. So these Dutch clips would replace the biners? Just loop the straps through the clips? Im interested in his gear but dont really understand what half of it does..haha. Thanks for the suggestion!

blue indian
03-08-2014, 14:23
Does anyone have a suggestion to a specific poncho liner?

Would this be a better idea (lighter/more compact/warmer) than a piece of fleece?

blue indian
03-08-2014, 14:27
I agree about the UQ vs pad.

Im currently using some biners from REI that are definetly too bulky and heavy. They arent climbing biners but close to it. So these Dutch clips would replace the biners? Just loop the straps through the clips? Im interested in his gear but dont really understand what half of it does..haha. Thanks for the suggestion!

From Dutch's video, that webbing looks much smaller than the stock webbing with the BB. Will the BB webbing still work with these Ti clips?

Toga
03-29-2014, 16:30
I have a BB with buckles and my father has a BB with whoopies. I feel that my setup is faster to hang and easier to make a quick adjustment. Personally the extra few oz's is totally worth it. That said, my father likes the whoopies on his system and has no plans to change them out.

I've been using a small fleece blanket for summer hangs and that works well as long as you have the space in your pack. A summer down quilt is definitely on my wish list for weight and volume savings.

BIG TIGER
03-29-2014, 16:36
Dutch has the whole kit. I'm switching mine over to straps whoopies Dutch hooks. Ron

gunner76
03-31-2014, 10:31
The Dutch Clips will work with the 1" wide straps that come with the BlackBird.

You can find military poncho liners on EBay.

Best thing to do is to attend a group hammock hang in your area ( check Hammock Forums for hangs in your area ) where you can see all sorts of different set ups and if you are not sure if you are setting up your hammock gear correctly, there will be someone there you can show how to to it and offer suggestions.

letstieoneon
03-31-2014, 17:29
It's not just the weight of the straps, they are bulkier and seemed to fill up the bishop bag more. I have gotten used to the whoopie setup so I think setup times are similar now.

HYOH

gunner76
04-03-2014, 19:56
While you can save some weight with Whoopies, I have run into places where it would have been much easier to use the stock straps than whoopies.