PDA

View Full Version : Allen Gap - Mom's Store

Del Q
03-08-2014, 18:02
How is this spot for a few day resupply?

takethisbread
03-08-2014, 18:10
there was a post a month or so ago on this, from what some reported it was fine for short term ressupply . it's only one day out of hot springs so it won't make much difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
03-08-2014, 18:46
Nothing but snacks when I stopped by last spring, but she had just opened. There were some 20 year old can goods still on the shelf :) It's possible she has more in stock now, but don't count on it. Worth it for an ice cream and soda though.

10-K
03-08-2014, 20:34
I think it's closed. Hemlock Hollow is just a short hike from there though and about .5 mile off the trail.

Note I said I *think* they're closed. The last few times I've been by there it hasn't be open.

Slo-go'en
03-09-2014, 11:28
Note I said I *think* they're closed. The last few times I've been by there it hasn't be open.

It may only open for hiker season. The story I was told was it was her fathers (or grandfathers) store and closed when he passed away in the early 90's. The store primarly sold cigeretts as it was on the state line with lower taxes on smokes.

After 20-25 years of neglect, the building was in pretty poor shape and needed a lot of work. It's quite possible that they found there wasn't nearly enough buisness or profit in selling ice cream and soda to the hiker bubble to make it worth while or pay for the renovations to the building which would be required. Someone will have to check in April to see if their open then.

Hemlock hollow isn't too far away, but they are a bit of a detour, almost 2 miles round trip (I belive they are .9 miles, not .5 off the trail). Mom's store was just a few hundred yards up the road. It's a shame Hemlock Hollow is only a day north of Hot Springs, its a nice place. I stayed there once while going SOBO and didn't feel like hiking in the cold rain the rest of the way to Hot Springs.

Del Q
03-09-2014, 14:53
Got it, thanks for the input, 10K, just trying to figure out how to get to you on time for shuttle to Tri Cities airport.

Agreed, Hemlock Hollow looks like a nice spot, who knows how things will work out mileage wise once I get out there.

Q