PDA

View Full Version : Late Winter Hike - Beginning of 100 Mile

Brodels
03-09-2014, 00:21
I hiked into the southern part of the 100 mile today, from Monson into Bell Pond. It has been quiet in there, I was breaking trail after the first couple hundred feet. The snow is somewhat crusty, but I'm glad I had snowshoes. It was a little bit tough going in a couple of spots, but was otherwise quite pleasant.

Bell Pond was obviously frozen over and quiet. There was no evidence that anyone had been in there in awhile. It was quite beautiful.

I guess the moral of the story is that winter is still in full force. Thankfully it was warm today (maybe 40-ish), but there is a lot of snow in the woods, and other than the warm temperature, it certainly seemed very mid-winterish. It's going to be awhile.

takethisbread
03-09-2014, 07:03
wow. it'll be a while. I bet monsoon is quiet this time of year!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
03-09-2014, 11:06
It was freakishly warm yesterday, but it takes more than a couple of warmish days to melt much snow. We still got 4-6 weeks to go and maybe a few more snow storms to deal with.

But this is a good time of year to go out into the snow, especially day hikes. The temps are getting more moderate and the snow about as deep as it's gonna get. Still kinda chilly at night, went down to 7 here last night, which is better then the sub zero we've had on average the last few weeks.