PDA

View Full Version : Snakeskins and underquilts

ivanputski
09-14-2005, 13:07
I will be ordering a JRB underquilt very soon to use with my HH Explorer Ultralight. When I contacted HH they did not seem to think that a #4 snake skin would cover both. Has anyone tried this combination? I could just sew some snakeskins but would rather just purchase if possible.

titanium_hiker
09-14-2005, 18:33
sewing some is a cinch- however the general consensus here is that #4 works.

titanium

wentworth
09-14-2005, 19:10
I have the Nest and the explorer. I personally found it a squeeze to fit them into JRB's python skins, and I know there's not a chance they'd fit into my no. 3's. Don't know bout no. 4's

Just Jeff
09-14-2005, 22:49
Tom sells the #4 to fit the Backpacker with insulation...if he's tried the #4 with the Explorer, I'd trust him. After all, it's not really in his interest to discourage you to buy his product if it might work.

Did you ask if he'd actually tried it, or just if he thought it would work?

But like TH said...it's very easy to sew a set of snakeskins.
http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearHammockTubes.html

ivanputski
09-15-2005, 08:28
Tom sells the #4 to fit the Backpacker with insulation...if he's tried the #4 with the Explorer, I'd trust him. After all, it's not really in his interest to discourage you to buy his product if it might work.

Did you ask if he'd actually tried it, or just if he thought it would work?

Their email said that they had only seen pictures of the underquilt and that it appeared that they would not work togather. Just wondering if someone had actually tried this combination before I ordered them.

Seeker
09-15-2005, 09:26
unless you're me. (8 stinkin' hours over a sewing machine... i still can't believe it...) LOL :datz

JoeHiker
09-15-2005, 12:25
I will be ordering a JRB underquilt very soon to use with my HH Explorer Ultralight. When I contacted HH they did not seem to think that a #4 snake skin would cover both. Has anyone tried this combination? I could just sew some snakeskins but would rather just purchase if possible.

I have the SnakeSkin #4s (since we can't buy the PythonSkins anymore) and JRB Nest Down Under underquilt with my HH Backpacker but I haven't had a chance to set the whole thing up and try it out. I'm going to try it this weekend. I'll get back to you on this thread when I have.

JoeHiker
09-20-2005, 09:50
I have the SnakeSkin #4s (since we can't buy the PythonSkins anymore) and JRB Nest Down Under underquilt with my HH Backpacker but I haven't had a chance to set the whole thing up and try it out. I'm going to try it this weekend. I'll get back to you on this thread when I have.
I tried them this weekend. They can fit but I think I wasn't packing them up right as I had a lot of problems. It was also my first time trying to pack them up with the NestDown Under and MacCat Tarp. I need a little more practice with this.

A question for all you folks with JRB underquilts out there: Do you compress them in SnakeSkins/PythonSkins or do you keep them separately? And for those of you with special, non HH tarps, do you pack the tarp up with the hammock or keep it and tie it out separately?

food
09-20-2005, 10:25
A question for all you folks with JRB underquilts out there: Do you compress them in SnakeSkins/PythonSkins or do you keep them separately? And for those of you with special, non HH tarps, do you pack the tarp up with the hammock or keep it and tie it out separately?

I use a Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp for the fly, and it also is my rain gear. It is carried in an outside a mesh pocket.

The nest and sleeping bag are stuffed in a trash compactor bag in the front of the pack to keep the heavy stuff close to my back.

Just Jeff
09-20-2005, 11:14
I put the hammock and Nest inside the Python Skins. The tarp has its own skins so I can hang it without the hammock if needed (like during a rainstorm so the hammock doesn't come out until I'm under the dry tarp).

I put the No Sniveler in its compression sack, then that and my clothes goes into a compactor bag and inside the pack.

JoeHiker
09-20-2005, 12:05
I put the hammock and Nest inside the Python Skins. The tarp has its own skins so I can hang it without the hammock if needed (like during a rainstorm so the hammock doesn't come out until I'm under the dry tarp).

I put the No Sniveler in its compression sack, then that and my clothes goes into a compactor bag and inside the pack.Jeff, do you have Python Skins or Snake Skins #4?

One of the combinations I tried with the #4 skins was just the hammock and Nest Down Under (tarp separate). I found it very difficult because the skins don't slide over the nest nearly as easily as they slid over silnylon tarp (or HH-fly). What do you do about this problem? How long does it take you to put the skins on with this setup?

Just Jeff
09-20-2005, 13:04
I have Python Skins. I'm not sure how the size compares to the #4 HH skins.

The Nest is harder to get in there because it's full of air (loft). To make it easier, I squish the loft out for about a foot by wrapping my hands around the Nest and hammock and squeezing, then slide the skins down a foot, then squish another foot, etc.

When it gets hard to pull, I go back to the skinny end and slide some of the skin down until it bunches up near the wide end, then start squishing again. It helps reduce some of the friction and makes it slide easier.

When both skins come together, I usually end up just stuffing the last bit of Nest into the skins until they overlap.

dougmeredith
09-20-2005, 13:50
I pack the underquilt in the same stuff sack as my top quilt. I have a set of Phython Skins but have never used them.

When I used the stock tarp I put it in the snake skins with the hammock. Now that I use a JRB 8 * 8, I pack the tarp separately in a stuff sack. I am thinking of getting a set of snake skins just for the tarp.

Doug

Patrick
09-20-2005, 17:58
Only had my hammock set up for one seven-night trip, but here goes.

I have my underquilt and quilt in separate stuff sacks. Seems easier to pack that way. My quilt is in a pretty big stuff sack that lets it keep some loft. It goes in the bottom of my pack (ULA P-1). Works as a lumbar pad and I can smash it down when I need more room in there. My underquilt packs into one of those silnylon Thermarest stuff sacks. My washtub (cut-off bottom from a gallon water jug) fits perfectly over the end of it. I have a separate, homemade silnylon stuff sack for my tarp that's light enough not to register on my scale. My thought was to keep that handy -- like in my outer pocket -- for rain set-up. My trip was bone dry, though, so it just ended up going in the hammock stuff sack.

I'm not sure I get the appeal of the snakeskins. I like setting up my tarp and hammock separately, so I'd still have to deal with that, plus the hammock will stay dry all the time anyway since it gets packed down under the tarp in the rain. It's cool that you can pack your hammock and quilts quickly in the big ones, but I think my stuff packs better in separate sacks. Plus, I like giving my quilts as much loft as I can when I don't need the space. Keeps them happy and keeps my pack contents snug.

What am I missing? Everyone seems to love them, but I finally seem to have found a piece of gear that I'm just "eh" on.

Just Jeff
09-20-2005, 18:42
I pack the underquilt in the same stuff sack as my top quilt. I have a set of Phython Skins but have never used them.

When I used the stock tarp I put it in the snake skins with the hammock. Now that I use a JRB 8 * 8, I pack the tarp separately in a stuff sack. I am thinking of getting a set of snake skins just for the tarp.
Why not use the Python Skins on the hammock and Nest and the Snakeskins on the tarp? Or even just the Python Skins on the hammock by itself if you don't want to put the Nest in there.

Just Jeff
09-20-2005, 18:57
What am I missing? Everyone seems to love them, but I finally seem to have found a piece of gear that I'm just "eh" on.
You can throw your hammock on the ground during setup and not worry about anything getting wet. Much easier to setup and take down that way.

Also, rather than disconnecting and stuffing the underquilt, then stuffing the hammock, you can just slide the skins down and roll it all up. The skins replace the hammock and quilt stuff sacks, so it's no extra weight.

When I fold up the stuffed skins, they fit right into the bottom of my pack, kinda in a "U" shape. Then my top quilt in its stuff sack goes inside the U. (Those make good lumbar padding, too...same place every time, adjustable by pushing it around to get the right fit.) My clothes go on the sides of the top quilt, and that fills up about half of my GoLite Speed. I close the compactor bag and put my food and any gear I'll need throughout the day on top of that. Close the Speed and stuff my tarp and rainjacket go in the outer pocket for quick access. My rainpants go there if it's cold. Otherwise, they're inside for use in camp.

I find skins more convenient and use them everytime I hike. Just me, though...do what works for you.

I've thought about making some really big skins to hold both quilts and the hammock...would reduce time even more since I wouldn't have to pack the top quilt.

dougmeredith
09-21-2005, 09:02
Why not use the Python Skins on the hammock and Nest and the Snakeskins on the tarp?
When I was still using the stock tarp, and putting it in the skins with the hammock, I decided to pack the underquilt by itself to avoid getting it wet. Wet tarp and underquilt in the Python Skins together seemed like a bad idea. Now that I am packing the tarp by itself, maybe I should reconsider this. I should try the Python Skins sometime. I haven't even taken them out of the plastic bag they came in. Thanks for making me think about this.

Or even just the Python Skins on the hammock by itself if you don't want to put the Nest in there.
I just assumed that the Python Skins would be way to big for this.

Doug

titanium_hiker
09-21-2005, 09:06
big? it don't matter. it's for keeping the hammock untangled... you can just roll up the hammock in the skins and the air comes out.

titanium

Patrick
09-21-2005, 09:29
Okay, you guys have done it. I'm looking on eBay for some to try.

I have a HH ULB. My underquilt is a homemade synthetic, cut to fit the "footprint" of the hammock. It's from a sleeping bag with a rating of 40 degrees. Insulation is about 1.5". What size snakeskins should I get to fit the hammock and underquilt? Will putting the tarp in there, too, if that works out necessitate a larger size or can I probably use the same one?

Thanks.

Just Jeff
09-21-2005, 09:33
I wouldn't go smaller than #4...the others aren't made to hold an underquilt. I'm not sure if synthetic will compress enough, though. Give it a try.

Be careful putting the tarp in with the underquilt. You don't want any moisture in your sleeping gear.

Patrick
09-21-2005, 09:43
Yeah, I figured. I have a separate stuff sack for it now for that reason, but figured if it's dry while I'm out, I could maybe save a bit of time by doing them all together.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out some #4s and see how they do.

Oh, just looked on Hennessy's site. The largest I see there under "Order Snakeskins" is a #3 (for the Expedition, Explorere, etc). Is this something they discontinued or does someone else make them?

Thanks again.

Just Jeff
09-21-2005, 09:53
You can call and ask. I think he just hasn't updated the website yet.

Patrick
09-21-2005, 09:58
E-mail sent; thanks, Jeff. This site remains the undisputed king of the fast response.

JoeHiker
09-21-2005, 16:45
You can call and ask. I think he just hasn't updated the website yet.

The way I ordered them was to order a different snakeskin and just write in the comments that I wanted the #4s. That's what they told me to do and it worked fine.

Patrick
09-21-2005, 16:48
Yeah, that's how they responded to my e-mail, too. I'm having second thoughts now, though. I'm not sure how down behaves, but I have to do a bit of stuffing to get my underquilt into its stuff sack. I don't know that I want to be dealing with jamming anything into the snakeskins. Maybe I'll just use them for the hammock and tarp or something instead.

Just Jeff
09-21-2005, 17:47
It's really easier with the skins if they're big enough. Not sure how the #4's would work.

Actually, I think it would be easier with a synthetic underquilt than with a down one...seems like the skins might slide on easier.

If you made an underquilt, you can surely make some skins. It's one seam and two hems.

Just a thought.

Patrick
09-21-2005, 18:02
That's a good thought. I have about a million yards of silnylon from the tarp I was planning on making right before you hammock people got your hooks into me.

If I set up the hammock and underquilt like usual, how snug should the skins be when I'm marking them for the sewing? My fear is that I can have the skins working to where I can slide them on relatively easily, but that won't do much to compress the underquilt so that the final product will take up more room in my pack than the current set-up. Does that make sense?

Just Jeff
09-21-2005, 19:19
Hrm...squish it down and wrap a tape measure around it. Don't forget to add in a seam allowance before you cut.

Even if the skins don't compress it, you can wrap the hammock lines around the folded up tubes to help compress it.

But do you really want to compress a synthetic bag that much? I don't like compressing my quilts any more than I absolutely have to.

Patrick
09-21-2005, 23:14
Yeah, I know. I don't want to be jamming it in anything, but it's got to compress down a decent amount. If I put my quilt into my pack with zero compression, it fills nearly the whole thing, yet packing it in its (pretty loose) stuff sack means it fits down into the bottom of the pack.

What I need to do is stop yapping about it and just go try sewing up some silnylon. It's sounding like too much to worry about right now when I don't really have a problem with the existing system, but I'm sure I'll give it a whirl pretty soon. I'll report back with nauseating detail.

briarpatch
09-22-2005, 10:47
Go to walmart and buy some random nylon from the dollar bin, then experiment till you find out what fits your specific setup. It took me 3 tries to get the length and width to fit exactly the way I liked it.

That's
a good thought. I have about a million yards of silnylon from the tarp I was planning on making right before you hammock people got your hooks into me.

If I set up the hammock and underquilt like usual, how snug should the skins be when I'm marking them for the sewing? My fear is that I can have the skins working to where I can slide them on relatively easily, but that won't do much to compress the underquilt so that the final product will take up more room in my pack than the current set-up. Does that make sense?

Patrick
09-22-2005, 10:54
Good thinking. I have heard of this magical dollar bin, but never actually seen it. Rumor is, even silnylon can be spotted there on occasion. I'll try to check it out this weekend. Do you have a synthetic underquilt, too? I'm curious to hear from someone who uses one with Snakeskins.

Seeker
09-22-2005, 11:04
the magic bin is in the crafts department... actually a large rack, not a bin you have to rummage through. the sewing ladies will know where it is if you ask them. they just don't know what silnylon is, at least here. i usually carry a scrap in with me to show them. i've found what i thought was silnylon there (a nice o.d. green too, btw) but was actually just 1.1 oz ripstop... had to waterproof it myself... it was somewhat waterproof to begin with, but didn't have that 'crinkley' texture silnylon has until after i was done... still, at a dollar a yard, you can't beat it...

they sell other weights of fabric there too, some thicker, some thinner, some ripstop, some not... all depends on what remnants their particular warehouse gets to put into the shipment... some places never seem to get any... i get some about every other 'refill'.

Patrick
09-22-2005, 11:59
I'll definitely check that out. The only Wal-Mart near here is about a half hour north, so I don't get there much. I'll make an expedition out of it, though.

briarpatch
09-22-2005, 13:01
I have a polarguard underquilt that I used a Ray Way quilt kit to make. I also have a JRB No Sniveller. I don't try to put the polarguard in the skins because it doesn't compress nearly as well, due to the fabric in the kit and the "quilting loop" style holding air too well. I did make a set of skins for it, but its easier to compress it by hand with a stuff sack.

I have come to prefer the JRB, and my 9 year old uses the home made one. I also made a top quilt out of the polarguard. Justin uses a regular sleeping bag, but I plan to buy another No sniveller to use as a top quilt.

We have Clark hammocks.

Dollar bin finds so far: 10 yards of grey silnylon, 12 yards of 1.1 oz green ropstop (waterproof), 10 yards of a goretex clone, and I've bought 20 yards of generic nylon for practice and experimenting.

Good thinking. I have heard of this magical dollar bin, but never actually seen it. Rumor is, even silnylon can be spotted there on occasion. I'll try to check it out this weekend. Do you have a synthetic underquilt, too? I'm curious to hear from someone who uses one with Snakeskins.

Patrick
09-22-2005, 14:57
Briarpatch, good info, thanks a lot. I hadn't thought about the quilting loops, that's a good point. I don't have them now, but when I make the next underquilt, it definitely will. One more reason to be lazy and just keep what I have.

I'm psyched to see what Wal-Mart has in this bin. I'm secretly hoping for yards and yards of camo.

Seeker
09-22-2005, 15:22
patrick,

being hunting season, at least here in LA, they carry camo cloth camo burlap, and camo mosquito netting at walmart on the regular shelves... but none of it's ripstop nylon, not even heavy stuff...

Patrick
09-22-2005, 15:29
I've seen some on-line and Smee just pointed me to owfinc.com, which has some at a good price. None of it is exactly what I want, though. I want really light, breathable DWR for the underquilt and silnylon for the tarp. The link Smee sent was for 1.1 coated, which would probably work okay for the tarp, but is maybe too heavy compared to silnylon. The only breathable I've found has been 1.9 oz, which is also heavier than I was hoping for.

It's not easy being a slave to fashion.

peter_pan
09-22-2005, 21:11
Patrick,

Look around the OWF site they have all kind of 1.1 DWR ripstop...

Pan

Patrick
09-22-2005, 23:51
peter_pan,

Thanks for the info. I was checking them out after I posted. They have it there in dark green, black, silver, light blue, and white. They have retail and wholesale prices, but I'm not sure what you have to do to get the wholesale.

peter_pan
09-23-2005, 08:17
Patrick.

20 yard order will get you wholesale.

Pan

ivanputski
09-26-2005, 08:29
OK, to answer the original question on this thread. I rec'd my under quilt and set it up this weekend. It work great. I am waiting on the #4 SS to arrive so i tried to fit the HH and the underquilt into my #3's. It took some work but everything fit. I am sure that they will fit in the #4's when they arrive.
By the way great services from JRB. Super turn around time on my order.:D