PDA

View Full Version : Which part of the AT is best in which time of year?

poopsy
03-09-2014, 10:59
I can hike 4-5 weeks at a time but then - for various reasons - I have to take 4 weeks off the trail. I've therefore split the AT into six sections:

Kitahadin, ME to Gorham, NH
Gorham, NH to Lee, Ma (I-90)
Lee, Ma to Duncannon, PA
Duncannon, PA to Buchanan, VA (North of Roanoke)
Buchanan, VA to Erwin TN
Erwin TN to Springer GA.

So, what time of the year is best for each of these sections? Which direction(s) would be best? I know I would like to avoid the heat and humidity of the south in the summer. I also know that I don't want to be on the trail during December to February. And I would also like to avoid Maryland to New Hampshire during May to July (lyme disease). Which section would you do when?

Is is possible to make up a schedule to do these sections at optimal times of the year so that they can be completed in a two year span?

Travel costs are not an issue but timing sure is. Also not at play are fitness, equipment or black flies and mosquitoes.

Thanks, looking forward to your answers

Poopsy

rafe
03-09-2014, 11:27
August-September are great for most of the northern half of the AT. Nippy nights maybe even a bit of snow in the Whites in September but otherwise perfect for hiking. Well, it can get hot in early August, even in Vermont.

April thru early June are tough in new England. Mud season, streams are high, mountain snow doesn't melt till end of May or even beyond, and then fierce bugs in the spring-summer transition.

April-June can be tough in the south, too. Unfortunate for many thru-hikers. Not uncommon for nobos to hit lots of cold rain in the Smokies and days on end of nonstop rain in southern VA. The mountains make their own weather, that's a fact.

Slo-go'en
03-09-2014, 11:56
April-May is good for GA to VA and August-September and even October for Maine to NY. I'm not convinced there is a good time of year for the middle sections.

If you go to VA/MD/PA/NJ too early it will be too cold and wet, if you go too late (like in the fall) finding water can become a real serious issue. Finding just the right weather window for these sections is real hit or miss.

I started at the Delaware water gap NOBO on the first day of a 10 day heat wave in mid July once - I'll never do that again. I went from the middle of Virginia to NJ starting mid April and finishing the end of May another time. It was a little cool and wet to start, but I nearly died of heat stroke going into the Water Gap at the end of May.

rafe
03-09-2014, 12:10
Lessee.... brutal heat in southern VT early August (2002). Jan Leitschuh mentions it in "The Ordinary Adventurer." Nasty heat in CT/MA mid-June 2005. 90 degrees and humid on the bare ridge on Race Mtn. (MA.) Mostly fine weather but trail was bone dry between Lehigh Gap and Pearisburg early August-mid September (2007). I usually aimed for August for my section hikes in New England.

Leanthree
03-09-2014, 14:00
I'd want to see the fall colors in MA/VT/NH/ME for at least one of the sections. September/October depending on the year/altitude/location.

Another thing to consider is do you want to see the mass-start in March/Early April from Springer. Some would think it to be the worst thing on earth while others wouldn't consider their section hike complete without it.

ocasey3
03-09-2014, 14:18
The colors were at their peak in the first part of October around Baxter Park last year. Awesome hiking weather.

Damn Yankee
03-09-2014, 20:26
You can't beat New England Fall colors and there are plenty of fall foliage websites to find peak times. Also the Virginias are beautiful in mid to late spring.

flemdawg1
03-11-2014, 13:37
Sept-Oct and April-May are good times to see almost all the AT , except Whites-Maine.

4eyedbuzzard
03-11-2014, 13:46
July and August are prime hiking times in NH and ME. September is usually really nice fall hiking, but quite cool in the Whites. Early October is usually still okay, but days are shorter, it rains more, and you could see a little early snow. From October 15 on, you might have a couple of nice days, but real snow/winter weather could hit at any time. I honestly wouldn't plan a trip from far away that would extend beyond the end of September/1st week of October.

rafe
03-11-2014, 14:09
Sept-Oct and April-May are good times to see almost all the AT , except Whites-Maine.

April-May can be problematic even in southern New England, with lots of mud and killer mosquitoes and black flies. IMO, it's unfortunate that most nobo thru-hikers go through the Smokies in that time frame; they often walk for days in cold rain and fog.

poopsy
03-11-2014, 15:16
Ok, this is becoming clearer and I would like to thank everyone who has contributed so far. The availability of water was one thing that I hadn't factored in before your comments and this could be very important.

There is pretty good agreement that spring and fall are the best times on the AT no matter what the section. It also looks like it will take me three years of hiking just a month each during these times to complete the 2200 miles.

I was disappointed with this realization but then remembered that the IAT in Canada is only enjoyable in the the summer and the Florida Trail is best during January to March. I could still be hiking six months per year with good planning. It all works out.

That said, I think that the following will be the anchors for any AT hiking plans:

1) Only the southern section looks doable during April. This is not the best time, but going north bound with the "Springer Circus" might be fun to join in on, if only to watch. On the other hand I think I would prefer to hike it in May or maybe June when the Rhodies are blooming.

2) The best windows for NH and ME are definitely August and September. The bugs are gone and it's drier.

3) Starting in Vermont and heading south during October with the changing of the leaves is another good idea.

Keep it coming!

Thanks, Poopsy

Mags
03-11-2014, 16:26
I really have nothing to add, but Fall in New England must be one of the best places to hike anywhere. :)

fredmugs
03-11-2014, 21:58
My favorite AT section hike was early to mid October from the James River to Pearisburg. Hitting McAfee Knob at peak colors was amazing.

Kerosene
03-11-2014, 22:09
Mid-September to early October is my ideal time to hike the northern part of the AT, from Katahdin to Connecticut. April/May and Sept/Oct work for the rest of the AT. The lack of water, especially after a dry summer, is the biggest detractor for a Fall hike.

HikerMom58
03-11-2014, 22:39
Come on down poopsy... down South near Roanoke. :) I wouldn't recommend coming to hike in July or August tho. It's blazing HOT down here. Other than that it's GREAT!

tdoczi
03-12-2014, 09:54
1) Only the southern section looks doable during April. This is not the best time, but going north bound with the "Springer Circus" might be fun to join in on, if only to watch. On the other hand I think I would prefer to hike it in May or maybe June when the Rhodies are blooming.

youd have to re juggle your "sections" some but front royal, va to salisbury, ct is absolutely doable in april. "winter" in PA, NJ, NY and the majority of CT isnt like winter on the rest of the trail.