PDA

View Full Version : Shipping packs - UPS - FedEx - USPS

10-K
03-09-2014, 11:04
I'm in the process of figuring out the best way to get my gear to San Diego from Tennessee.

Option 1 - Take it on the plane.

Option 2 - Send it via the USPS (Priority Mail I guess?)

Option 3 - FedEx (Ground, 2 Day, 1 Day?)

Option 4 - UPS (Ground, 2 Day, 1 Day?)

My least favorite option is carrying it on the plane. I don't want it to get lost and I don't want to carry a lot of stuff so I can move freely through the airport without keeping up with stuff.

That leaves the 3 carriers. USPS Priority is cheapest, but I don't know about that either... Then UPS and FedEx - both carriers are in the same ballpark price wise - FedEx is a bit more.

I'd also like the carrier least likely to open up my box and search/rumble/remove/steal things - just a bit of paranoia on my part.....

Any experience here?

Coffee
03-09-2014, 11:11
One option that could save considerable cost and reduce the risk of lost luggage might be to ship all items to San Diego that cannot be carried on to the plane or could cause concern even if legally permitted (stove, knife, tools, trekking poles). Then, carry a small/light pack on the plane so it stays with you at all times.

Last year I took two backpacking trips out west by plane and I did check in my gear using a duffel bag for protection. I also mailed ahead my stove since I was concerned that it could result in an inspection. This year I am thinking of using the strategy outlined above and carrying on my pack with gear except for mailing a box with prohibited items. This way I would avoid the need for a duffel bag to protect my pack as checked luggage.

My pack was inspected as checked luggage only on one occasion and there was nothing missing.

If checking luggage, a non-stop flight is better than one with change of planes for obvious reasons.

10-K
03-09-2014, 11:23
I'm going to ship everything to San Diego - the only thing besides my wallet I'm carrying will be my phone and a USB cable to charge it while I"m traveling.

I do have 1 connection in Houston (or maybe Chicago, can't remember).

Don H
03-09-2014, 11:28
I've checked my pack as luggage many times and only once was it lost (thanks Alaska Air!). It really sucks when everything you need for your trek is missing.

Even though I had that one bad experience I still checked my pack as baggage on Southwest Air on my way to Atlanta for my thru and to New Mexico last July with no problems. Overall I think having a problem is rather remote and it's just too convenient.

The biggest problem in my opinion is damage during handling and that can be limited by how you pack it. No loose straps, pad your poles etc.

Slo-go'en
03-09-2014, 11:36
Still, not having to deal with, or worry about, luggage when flying is well worth the expense of shipping the pack ahead in my book. Just so long as you have a place you can ship it to.

The PO doesn't really like to deal with large boxes, so I'd go UPS. Ground would be the least expensive, especially since your shipping about 15 pounds I would guess, but allow a good 10 days for it to get there.

Tipi Walter
03-09-2014, 11:37
Send Patman a message on Trailspace.com as he just pulled a 10 day backpacking trip into the Sierras and sent his crap beforehand thru shipping.

http://www.trailspace.com/people/patman/

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2014, 12:21
Fedex and UPS can open any package you tender for shipment (it's in the contract). USPS Priority can only be opened by a Postal Inspector based upon probable cause and with a warrant (exigent circumstances excluded). Any of the three can drop it on the loading dock. Personally, I'd put it in a duffel and check it as luggage making sure I had my destination address on the name tag, etc. A package sent USPS would likely wind up going through the same airports on commercial flights anyway.

EDIT: Just to add that FedEx has a huge air transport contract with USPS and handles a lot of USPS's mail/packages. Also, both FedEx and UPS use USPS for what is known as "the last mile" for final delivery, as USPS has the largest infrastructure as far as getting packages to individual addresses. No matter who you ship with, they pretty much reserve the right to contract with and use the other carriers to get your package to you.

Sugarfoot
03-09-2014, 12:43
I have used UPS to ship my pack for the last 20 years. I let the local UPS store package it and have never had a problem. They've become cheerleaders and have even handled mailing my mail drops on longer trips. It's nice not worrying during the flight if your pack will make it. I had it lost once by US Air, although they delivered it to me that evening.

Dogwood
03-09-2014, 14:05
I flew into San Diego from the east coast like you are for my PCT thru. I had a low volume low wt kit(under 20 lbs) with my NOBO PCT starting gear easily entirely packable inside a ULA CDT backpack. This fully loaded backpack I carry on board my flights. It fits in the overhead and under the seat in front of me. It easily fits within the dimensions of all the airlines I've flown allowable carry on baggage. Never a problem even with the airlines that have as their biz practices a tendency to want to charge for bags ie; Spirit Airlines for example! I live out of my backpack even when traveling so want it always with me. I try not to be the last one on the plane though so have storage options. I prefer not checking my backpack. I have had my sealed backpack(not in a duffle) opened twice when it was checked baggage having gear(stove, cookware, camera, merino wool clothing, etc) stolen on domestic flights with two different carriers. As more airlines are charging for checked baggage this works to lower my traveling costs on a hike. Even though I like traveling lite and always like having my backpack with me I will use USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes, usually a large one(about $17), to send stuff ahead like a knife, food, extra clothing, and other non essential to the hike gear. I've literally easily mailed myself more than 150 USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes from U.S. locations to U.S. locations with only one being delayed(mis-routed) and one opened(my fault, I mistakenly had dropped a canister into a Priority Flat Rate box).

I mailed myself a large USPS Priority Flat Rate box that I didn't want to haul on the flight to a San Diego $22 a night(2008 prices) SD Hostel in the Gas Lamp District. They held my box for me. I've sent a few boxes UPS and Fed Ex also but maybe only ten total. I've had one UPS and one Fed Ex box get delayed or lost. One UPS box had been opened. I never did find out why that happened. Other than that no problema. For my purposes and what I ship ahead(not a whole backpack) USPS Priority Flat rate boxes are by far the least expensive in the continental U.S.

Just Bill
03-09-2014, 14:07
I prefer UPS or USPS- both are good. You can also ship fuel (canister or Esbit- no liquids) via either carrier (FED-EX is harder).

Even if you don't ship fuel use the CONSUMER COMMODITY ORM-D tags and rules. You can also label the box as recreational camping equipment. I had my pack diverted from Maine to Georgia despite the ORM-D tag. Eventually I was told the odd pieces of metal and gear showed suspiciously on the x-ray. I was told the camping gear label would have cleared it up without diversion. No issues since then.

If it's important I use UPS as they will allow you to get a hazardous material clearance number and the counter agent can add a comment to that number. If there is any question they can reference the number and comment without delay. Takes some patience and you need to visit a "hub" counter to do it, but Kinko's or other third party vendors cannot accept ORM-D packages anyway so don't drop them there.

Dogwood
03-09-2014, 14:14
Question? can you ship a canister in a USPS Priority Flat Rate box after attaching a Ground Ship Only label? I was told NO by one mail counter person. I got three "maybes, I don't know" from three other mail counter persons. I got three "YES" responses from thre other mail counter personnel.

Coffee
03-09-2014, 14:21
Supposedly the Priority Flat Rate boxes are only supposed to be used for priority mail since they are provided free and the cost of the actual box is embedded in the price of the mailing service. I once tried to ship a priority mail box ground and was told that I could not. I then wrapped the box with paper from a grocery bag and then the postal service took it without question since there was no way to know that it was a priority mail box.

RedBeerd
03-09-2014, 14:34
I've taken a fully packed 65L bag from CT to CA, and from CA to CT. After checking prices I got the best deal sending it UPS. The USPS office was trying to give me an obnoxious price, north of $100. I believe it was around $50 with UPS, no priority, took about a week. They put it in a big box for me for little cost. That went smooth but on the return trip I checked the bag with the airport. I had 3 layovers. They put my bag into a big plastic bag and tied it off. Cost $25. I think checking the bag was less of a hassle. Carrying it through the airport is not a big deal IMO, and 10K I know you're packing light :)

so in short, I had a better experience checking it as luggage versus sending it, but if I were to send it again, UPS seemed the best. As always, YMMV.

map man
03-09-2014, 14:56
I have had good experiences sending resupply stuff by USPS Priority Flat Rate, though I have no experience sending anything breakable, like trekking poles. As light as you travel I don't think you would need a huge box. In the bad old days if you wanted to track a package you had to go the UPS or FedEx route, but for quite a while now you can track USPS Priority Mail. Your instinct to ship the pack instead of fly with it is the same as my instinct would be, regardless of cost.

Malto
03-09-2014, 17:07
I shipped trekking poles and a couple other items to Sd and carried on my pack.

but I also have a very small pack...

Likes2travel
03-09-2014, 17:21
After having worked in logistics for man, many years and having worked with the 3 carriers noted in this post. I can tell you that it is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to get UPS to pay for something that they have damaged or destroyed while in transit.

Feral Bill
03-09-2014, 18:03
What do UPS and Fedex think of transporting white gas stoves and bottles, thoroughly empty of course?

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2014, 18:50
Question? can you ship a canister in a USPS Priority Flat Rate box after attaching a Ground Ship Only label? I was told NO by one mail counter person. I got three "maybes, I don't know" from three other mail counter persons. I got three "YES" responses from thre other mail counter personnel.The correct answer, according to my resident USPS expert Mrs. Buzzard (former Clerk and Postmaster), is "NO". They can be mailed via Standard Post (formerly Parcel Post) - but CANNOT be mailed via Priority or 1st Class Mail, even if marked "Ground Ship Only" (see links). The reason is that all 1st Class, Priority, and above is routinely carried by aircraft, and USPS regulations state that any item accepted and/or charged at that postage rate MUST meet air transport restrictions. FAA and DOT prohibit air shipment of flammable gas canisters. Even if only mailed one town ahead, and even with labels saying ground only, distribution routes and/or mistakes in handling/sorting/routing could wind up with the parcel accidentally winding up on an airplane.

Does it happen? Yes. USPS people make mistakes. The amount and nature of all the USPS regulations and documents can be overwhelming, and given the downsizing/reorganization going on in USPS, mistakes are going to be made. So some USPS offices have (and will) undoubtedly accepted Priority packages and put "Surface Transportation Only" on them. And generally, if someone is just bouncing a box up the trail it probably isn't going to go air anyway (but, it could due to the way USPS distribution centers work or a misspent parcel). The real world outcome? Those little gas canisters are pretty robust and well engineered for a reason.

Here's a bit of some copy and paste from some prior research, plus some new research on the subject of mailing stove canisters, with thanks to Mrs. Buzzard for guiding me through the ever changing USPS regs.

They can be mailed (but not internationally). http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_017.htm#ep898788

They can only be sent Standard Post (formerly Parcel Post) and must be marked "Consumer Commodity ORM-D (other restricted materials-domestic)" and "Surface Transportation Only" (USPS label #127). http://pe.usps.com/archive/html/dmmarchive0810/C023.htm#Rap37720

Parcels must adhere to primary container quantity restrictions of less than 1 liter in volume total per mail piece (for hiker purposes, that equals 3 small 110 gram canisters) http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxc_005.htm

10-K
03-09-2014, 20:25
What about lithium AA/AAA's?

(guess I could google that.. :) )

Dogwood
03-09-2014, 20:33
THX to the Buzzard family.

4eyedbuzzard
03-09-2014, 20:38
What about lithium AA/AAA's?

(guess I could google that.. :) )
Look here http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxa.htm#ep725700 for just about anything, or here for lithium primary cells (AA/AAA) http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_024.htm Yeah, they're okay ;) Leave them in the retail packaging or tape them so they can't short out against anything.

ChinMusic
03-09-2014, 20:38
Whatever 10-K decides is probably something I will copy. I find his advice, excluding miles/day, to be solid...........

Marta
03-09-2014, 20:57
I like FedEx ground. Fast, with tracking.

USPS, sadly, has had some problems at critical times. On my way back from the JMT, I was taking my pack as carryon (once you've eaten all the food, there's not much to it), so I bought a tube at the PO and put my knife, tent stakes, hiking poles, and a few other goodies in there. Sent it Priority. I got the tube all right, but one end of it had been ripped off. Knife and everything small was missing. The poles were pretty tight in the tube, and came through. But the loss of the knife and titanium stakes made me sad.

I've shipped a number of boxes (and for the JMT, some buckets) of food USPS priority, and they've almost always come intact and in time.

handlebar
03-09-2014, 22:47
On 12 occasions checking my pack, inside a duffel, I have yet to have a problem. Mostly I travel Southwest where the first 2 bags fly free. That way there's no issue checking my stove (alcohol, thoroughly rinsed with water), knife, etc. I carry my two mini-Bic lighters on my person. I buy fuel and load up water at destination and I'm ready to hike. (I admit to breathing easier when I see the duffel containing my pack traveling up the conveyor belt into the plane's belly.)

LDog
03-09-2014, 22:50
I flew from Michigan to Maine. Put my pack in a duffel bag, and my poles in a thick-walled cardboard tube. Left my stove in the pack, but planned to buy cannisters in Maine. I carried a tote bag for carry-on, and mailed both it and the duffle home from Maine. It worked, but I sweated it with every delay along the route. If I did it today, I'd probably carry my pack on.

OTOH, I've become a big fan of AMTRAK. I've carried my pack with cannister and knife, and never had anyone look twice at me. Probably wouldn't do it from TN to SD tho ... Maybe ...

Venchka
03-09-2014, 23:21
THX to the Buzzard family.

Indeed. This new information is totally opposite to threads & USPS information I have read in these forums in the last 1-2 years. This new information throws a whole new monkey wrench in the works.

10-K: (Ground, 2 day, 1 day) Is that 3 different shipping methods? Given UPS' record of shipments through Dallas (Mesquite) this year, you better allow 3 weeks minimum to San Diego.
I still think that USPS Priority large boxes are the most economical, fastest and safest way to ship things. Omitting fuel is no big deal. You can buy all you will need on the other end. Like others have said, placing the soft, bulky stuff (clothes, bag/quilt, small tent even) in a smallish carry-on bag won't slow you down. Probably save you some big bucks for shipping.
Good luck! Have fun!

Wayne

Sly
03-10-2014, 00:29
Having shipped a pack and other supplies before without any problems, if your stuff can fit in a Home Depot size moving box (24"x18'x18") using USPS

30lbs. will cost you $38.90,
40lbs. $45.70,
50lbs. $50.25.

It (USPS Click N Ship) says Priority mail.

Of course if the weight/size is smaller, so should be the fee. (I looked up the figures for Baltimore Jack whose stuff probably wouldn't fit in the box or be under the 70 lb limit))

Dogwood
03-10-2014, 00:48
Since it was brought up about the JMT, though it is tangential to the main discussion, which is about the PCT, know the usual USPS Priority Mailing times to some areas are longer in some situations than the typical 2-3 days. Most Post Offices mention this in small print at the counter but I've seem some POs that don't make a mention of it. For example, mailing a USPS Priority Flat Rate Box to Independence, Lone Pine, Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, Reds Meadow, Muir Trail Ranch, Vermillion Valley Resort, etc(the eastern side of the Sierras) takes about 2 days longer than typical for Priority Mail. Same if mailing a box to Yosemite Valley USPO and perhaps Tuolomne Meadows USPO. Maybe, more like 3 extra days if Priority Mailing to these places sending from the east coast. If sending USPS Parcel Post it can take more than 5 biz days compared to other places if choosing the Parcel Post mailing option.

Sly
03-10-2014, 01:59
Good point Dogwood. On the other hand, I also found, when mailing from town to town or town to private mail box, when there's a clear cost difference I usually mail parcel post (now standard mail). They're not likely to use air when mailing from Big Bear to Aqua Dulce, so there's no likely time savings regardless of the standards).

leaftye
03-10-2014, 07:25
Do you know about the starter pistol trick?

http://lifehacker.com/5448014/pack-a-gun-to-protect-valuables-from-airline-theft-or-loss

jbarnes
01-10-2017, 10:51
Digging up an old thread but what's the suggested way to pack a fully loaded backpack to ship out? I don't want my backpacking gear lost due to a checked bag issue. Highly unlikely, but possible. I'd like to have something sturdy to keep it from getting potentially damaged due to rough handling. I have a 65L pack and plan to put most, if not all, of my gear in it and ship it.Suggest some bubble wrap and a regular FedEx/UPS shipping box or something else? I realize I can get insurance, and will, for damages but hard/impossible to replace some of my gear from a big box store like REI, etc. Thanks!

Traveler
01-10-2017, 10:59
Digging up an old thread but what's the suggested way to pack a fully loaded backpack to ship out? I don't want my backpacking gear lost due to a checked bag issue. Highly unlikely, but possible. I'd like to have something sturdy to keep it from getting potentially damaged due to rough handling. I have a 65L pack and plan to put most, if not all, of my gear in it and ship it.Suggest some bubble wrap and a regular FedEx/UPS shipping box or something else? I realize I can get insurance, and will, for damages but hard/impossible to replace some of my gear from a big box store like REI, etc. Thanks!

I have typically shipped my gear in a box I purchased for a few bucks at the UPS store with bubble wrap and/or wadded paper padding. It doesn't add much to the cost but does add some protection to the pack and contents. I have not ever seen a box opened/resealed in the times I have done this but always took out the insurance just in case.

Gambit McCrae
01-10-2017, 11:38
My experience is that I took my pack on 4 flights. On the way there I was on little planes and at the plane door, I had to put my pack in the belly of the plane. I told the stewardess that I could not look that pack and she made it first priority to get it back to me as I exited the plane in Newark. Now when I put the pack in the belly of said plane, I had a bright red duffel that the whole pack went into. It also had my name, phone, home address and in the info screen I had my trip itinerary and where it could be sent to if it became lost. (On a 1 week trip this is pretty much useless).

The other flights I took on that trip, I was able to put it in the overhead carry on storage.

NOW....If you mail your pack far enough out, say 1 month, and you track it, and the receiver confirms they got your package then your good, and covering your pack with insurance in case it arrives damaged, or gets lost then you could have time to possibly replace what you need to.

My trick, that is still not 100% but being that I am a worrier, when I go on a week long trip ( and a 2 week long trip this fall) I do the following

If I drive, I pretty have double everything I need for the trip in my car, in the back, under a black blanket. From the outside of the car it looks as though the car is empty. I carry a spare pad, poles, socks and shoes, filter, and a bottle of whiskey. (If I have to go back to the care before the end of my trip I might as well get a refill of whiskey (:

If I FLY, whomever is willing to take me to the airport has a second responsibility. When they drop me off/ I leave their house to go to the airport. I have brought with me a secondary Pack kit. With out food, fuel or whiskey in it. It does have a $100 Bill in the hip pocket, and if my pack gets lost during travel, then they are to overnight the pack to me. Now if along my trip my pad blows out, or my shoe blows out well Im SOL and will have to make due.

I do this because stuff happens.. right? I know not everyone has a second kit that can be setup, but a story comes to mind on here maybe last spring? A female hike got to ATL to start her 1-2 week long journey on the trail and the airlines lost her stuff and she was immediately lost in Atlanta, having to get a room and wait it out. We plan and plan and dream of our adventures, and when the trip is no longer in our hands - extra precautions to counter the bad luck goes a long way when the plan goes south.

The Solemates
01-10-2017, 16:37
i always ship my gear. so much easier. usually less than $10 with our company's 70% discount.

Likes2travel
01-10-2017, 22:20
Take this from someone who in the past shipped $100,000+ per year worth of shipments with each UPS and FedEx. If you have a damage claim against UPS, GOOD LUCK getting any compensation due you. It won't happen. DON'T CARE IF YOU INSURE IT OR NOT. I absolutely hated dealing with the folks from UPS, so much so that I convinced my employer to run them out the door and never let them return.
FedEx is worth it, even if they do charge a little more.

MtDoraDave
01-11-2017, 08:12
Do you know about the starter pistol trick?

http://lifehacker.com/5448014/pack-a-gun-to-protect-valuables-from-airline-theft-or-loss

The two times I've flown (since 9/11) with a firearm declared in my checked bag, I agree that they do keep very close tabs on it. Calling me up to the desk at the terminal gate to tell me the bag has been loaded on the plane and such. I agree that is very unlikely that they will lose a piece of luggage with a firearm inside.
However, of the 2 round trips (4 times to check-in), the bag was pulled once and inspected thoroughly while I watched through a window. The TSA agent unpacked the bag and rubbed almost every surface with a bomb-detection wipe of some sort. I was not allowed to repack the bag, he did it. I don't know what would happen if some random TSA agent attempted to go through my backpack "inspecting it" and attempted to re-pack it, not knowing how to loosen/ re-tighten the straps on the sides, etc.

Also worth saying: If you plan to fly and declare a firearm, check the airline's website for their rules about doing so.

I'm glad someone found and revitalized this thread because I've been invited to fly out to CA later this year and hike in the Sierras for a week. Since CA doesn't have reciprocity with FL for carry permits, I don't think I'll be bringing a firearm on the plane, so the rest of this thread has been informative as to how to get my backpack from FL to CA.

colorado_rob
01-11-2017, 10:39
I suggest "checking your fears". Lost or even mishandled luggage is declining fast, down to 3.5 "lost" (or mishandled) bags per 1000 vs. about twice that 25 years ago. The really eye-opening thing though is that nearly all "lost" bags were lost because the owners didn't put their identification on their bag.

It's really simple, if you do two things at the airport, your risk of actually losing a bag is ridiculously low, something like 1 in 10,000 or so.

Two things: put an absolutely bomber ID on your pack, like a plastic strap on ID tag with your name and phone number, or multiple flimsy tags, those ones you get at the check bag counter. The second thing is to know the 3-letter code of your destination airport and MAKE SURE the luggage tag that gets put on your pack is that 3-letter code.

If you do these two thing, you will not lose your bag. The worst case, still highly remote, is that your bag gets mishandled by the baggage handlers and gets put on a wrong flight, which gets corrected later and you will get your bag on a subsequent flight.

I've flown just about 500 round trips in my lifetime (I used to fly regularly for work), and I've never once lost a bag. These 500 (roundtrip, so really 1000 flights) include roughly 2 dozen flights (4 dozen total) where I was backpacking or climbing and check either my pack itself or a duffle or two (the big climbing trips). One single time a friend's bag didn't arrive on our flight, but cam in on the next flight, two hours later. This was on one of 5 trips where I led a Rainier climb with a dozen folks, all of us checking bags. That's 120 man-flights right there, not included in the 1000 personal man-flights I've taken myself.

So, bottom line, I suggest "checking your fears", meaning don't be afraid, like so many on WB apparently are, I think from simple lack of experience of doing so, of simply checking your backpack. Save the hassle and additional expense. I admit, I fly nearly exclusively on SW airlines, which has no baggage fees, and assuming you fly on an airline with a baggage fee, shipping your pack is barely, if at all, more expensive.

I wonder what the loss rate at UPS or Fed Ex is compared to ACTUAL loss rate with airlines, assuming you have a bomb proof ID on your checked bag?

This all being said, I'm so conservative, that I still carry on my hyper expensive sleeping bag, cuben tent, hard shell jacket and hiking shoes.... mainly because these items would throw my checked bag value over the reimbursed bag limit for airlines....