PDA

View Full Version : parking at unicoi????

TickPicker
09-14-2005, 13:28
I've read a couple of threads that mentioned that parking at Unicoi did not turn out well. I've talked to some people in the area that say it's safe. Are there any options close to the Unicoi Gap crossing that are safer?????

TickPicker

MDSHiker
09-14-2005, 13:46
I don't think there are any parking lots "close" to Unicoi, other than the one at the trailhead. If it's a concern, then you might want to park somewhere else and get a shuttle.

Dances with Mice
09-14-2005, 14:00
I've read a couple of threads that mentioned that parking at Unicoi did not turn out well. I've talked to some people in the area that say it's safe. Are there any options close to the Unicoi Gap crossing that are safer????? Which threads? I must have missed them.

Tabasco
09-14-2005, 14:21
Not sure what direction you are heading, but I hear that Ron at Hiawasee Inn runs shuttles to Dicks Creek Gap and Unicoi Gap. I would suggest Helen, but with the tornado damage there, plus the Oktoberfest traffic , that would not be a good option in September-October.

orangebug
09-14-2005, 14:33
Unicoi has a large parking area in the gap. It is used frequently, but it might not be safe overnight as it is far from residences and businesses. Anytime you park at a trailhead, you take some risk.

Helen is recovering from the tornado damage, but the usual fall foliage and Octoberfest stuff is always a mess - especially on weekends. I'd consider any number of shuttles including Hiawaseei Inn, Blueberry Patch, Pitssburg and many others

TickPicker
09-14-2005, 16:41
here's the previous entries i found about unicoi. i know they're a year old...but.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1672&highlight=unicoi+gap

I already have Fred (recommended by Mountain Crossings) picking us up at Unicoi Gap to take us to Springer. I've spoken to people who are supposed to know the area (Lenny from the Blue Berry Patch for one) and they told me the areas were pretty safe. I'm just not sure If I need to change to another location......that would of course mean another shuttle charge from Unicoi to wherever we parked. Maybe I'll check with Fred again and see what he recommends as well.

halibut15
09-14-2005, 16:50
Parking at Unicoi Gap is about as safe as you can get anywhere on the Trail that isn't locked up at night. It's not really near any town or homes, and I've parked there for multiple days several times and never had any troubles. Things can be different depending on the timing, though, as it is with anywhere you decide to park on the AT. If you have some doubts, go with the shuttle.

max patch
09-14-2005, 18:13
TickPicker, if you are concerned about the safety of your vehicle the safest option would be to start at Unicoi and hike south to your vehicle at Amicalola State Park. It would add about a half day (easy) to your trip.

Having said that, I've never had a problem anywhere and I've hiked the AT in GA for close to 30 years.