PDA

View Full Version : Estimated cost of a thru if I already have my gear

Sunshine82
03-09-2014, 12:00
I already have all of my gear,and not a big drinker in towns maybe a burger and couple beers,what amount could I thru hike with

ALLEGHENY
03-09-2014, 12:39
$25.00/day

jdc5294
03-09-2014, 12:48
Before lots of people come in and tell you otherwise, a thru is completely doable on no more then $1500-$2000. You won't be staying in hotels every town stop like on a 4k-5k thru, but you won't be uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountain squid
03-09-2014, 12:58
More than you think . . . . read my how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike) thread for links to other threads covering this topic. If you plan for $4-5000 and have leftover, how nice would that be? On the other hand if you only plan for $1500-2000, and need more by mid VA, then what?

At any rate, just Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

norovirus awareness (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)

Spirit Walker
03-09-2014, 13:05
It depends partly on when you start (early starters have shorter days and colder, so tend to stick to shelters in the early weeks, which limits their mileage plus they take more time off in towns to avoid bad weather) and how long your hike takes (if you start out in good shape and can do a thruhike in 4.5 to 5 months instead of 6+). The less time in town, the less money you will spend. Before you go it is hard to understand how tempting it is to go to town often to get real food and a hot shower. It takes discipline to skip towns or do quick in and out resupplies. 25 years ago the standard was $1 mile. I knew a few who did it on $500-1000, but they were helped out a lot by the other hikers. I would have at least $3000 in hand, more if at all possible.

apd07c
03-09-2014, 13:25
More than you think . . . . read my how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike) thread for links to other threads covering this topic. If you plan for $4-5000 and have leftover, how nice would that be? On the other hand if you only plan for $1500-2000, and need more by mid VA, then what?

At any rate, just Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

norovirus awareness (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)

+1

Lets say you resupply every 80 miles. 2185 miles /80 miles= 27 town stops. Let's say in the South "a burger and a couple beers" is $15 (low) and in the North its $20. Average it to $17.50. $17.50 x 27= $472.5 on just burgers and beers for ONE meal per town. You may eat more than one meal per town. Say another $30 (again low) for food resupply for 80 miles. $30 x 27= $810. Lets also say a hotel/hostel stay every 5 town stops. That's 5.4 hostel/hotel stays x $20= $100. This is about $1400. Now think about fuel, gear replacement, shuttles, that pesky $20 for the Smokies, bounce boxes, emergency funds, etc. With a $1500-$2000 budget, I hope you don't have to replace gear, want more than 2 beers per town, have weather force you into an unplanned town stop, etc.

You'll never hear, "Man, I wish I had less money for this trip. It really sucks being able to have the freedom to buy want I want."

Mags
03-09-2014, 14:31
Not counting transportation costs to and from the trail or initial gear purchase, $1000/mo is a good, solid, average figure. That includes food on the trail, gear replacement (shoes and socks usually) and some amenities like hostel stays and food in town.

Some people can do it for less money, some do it for more. Some have the resources to do it for more money; most don't have the experience and discipline to do the budget hikes of sub-3k. Most that advocate the sub-$3k hikes are usually by people who have no LD hiking experience. ;) .

Misery
03-09-2014, 14:49
When I did it I put myself on a budget of $20 per town for meals and drinks. Plus another $25 for resupply. Figure a resupply every four days. If you hike 15 miles a day average then that's $1500 right there. Plus if you need any new gear, stay in a hotel or hostel or go over budget ever. I wouldn't feel comfortable with less than $3000 not including transportation to and from the trail. More would of course be better.

jdc5294
03-09-2014, 14:50
Most that advocate the sub-$3k hikes are usually by people who have no LD hiking experience. ;) .
:o interesting

Slo-go'en
03-09-2014, 16:51
. Most that advocate the sub-$3k hikes are usually by people who have no LD hiking experience. ;) .

And still don't as they ran out of money. $3 a mile seems to be the good rule of thumb these days. Food is one of your biggest expenses and the price of food keeps going up and up and up.

peakbagger
03-09-2014, 16:58
Over the years in the whites I have encountered "almost" thru hikers who were on the verge of getting off the trail due to lack of bucks and some that were putting in some pretty punishing miles to stretch what money they had. Most had come to the realization that they weren't going to make it all the way to Katahdin somewhere south of the whites and had decided that if they had to go home they were at least going to make it to the whites. At least two I met had hitched over from VT and were just doing the whites. Most generally attributed it to spending too much money down south and underestimating what it would cost up north.

They were definitely bummed but in general most had the attitude that they had fun while it lasted and I expect many came back eventually and filled in the gap.

Given the other challenges of the trail, running out of money is definitely not one that a hiker should add to their list.

rafe
03-09-2014, 17:08
And still don't as they ran out of money. $3 a mile seems to be the good rule of thumb these days. Food is one of your biggest expenses and the price of food keeps going up and up and up.

I doubt if supermarket / mini-mart prices are the biggest expenditures on a thru-hike but restaurant meals and hotel/motel stays play a huge part. I mean, you'll eat typically 15 lbs. of packable food over the course of the week. How much could that cost? $30 to $50 would be my guess. That's $650 - $1083 over the course of a 5 month hike. I think $3 a mile would allow for a luxurious trip.

apd07c
03-09-2014, 17:23
$3 a mile is def luxurious
$2 a mile is fun
$1 a mile reserves you a ticket on the Struggle Bus

ALLEGHENY
03-09-2014, 17:24
How about the guy doing it on $200/month food stamps? That's really low!

takethisbread
03-09-2014, 18:50
I spent $20 a day, on food including restaraunt stops. I spent $60 a week average on hotels and hostels and I splurged quite a bit. gear varies but beyond shoes, I think most stuff u can find here or there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bert304
03-09-2014, 19:23
My figures bring me to just about 2.00 per mile and I was figuring about 4,000.00 plus 2,000.00 in reserve for gear problems.

MuddyWaters
03-09-2014, 20:10
I already have all of my gear,and not a big drinker in towns maybe a burger and couple beers,what amount could I thru hike with

What are your other vices? are you a sucker for beds, showers, and restaurant food?

Adriana
03-09-2014, 20:33
How about the guy doing it on $200/month food stamps? That's really low!

Dakota Joe is doing work stays and has been the beneficiary of a good bit of trail magic. He has spent a lot of time in hostels lately, I think because he hooked up on his hike with anorthern hostel operator he might be getting some freebies and special treatment that he otherwise might not get. In the bubble it might be much more difficult to get those coveted work stay spots.

Robb871
03-09-2014, 20:50
Wow...my planned thru is still 8 years away(retirement) but I think I need to start saving now!!!

Coffee
03-09-2014, 20:51
$200/month for food is possible for me at home eating at restaurants very rarely (and then at cheap places) and almost entirely foregoing meat, clipping coupons, and fully taking advantage of supermarket loss leaders. I completely abstain from alcohol. On the trail, I have found that I want to eat more, want more morale boosting treats, crave meat, and eat at more restaurants. My longest hike has been three weeks but I would imagine that the urge to eat more and more would only grow on a thru hike. I personally wouldn't want to be constrained by a $200/month food budget. My gut tells me that I would need $400 or so - $10-15/day.

garlic08
03-09-2014, 22:20
The $1000/month figure Mags mentioned is exactly what I spent for a hike that was somewhat frugal in some areas (lodging and gear) but extravagant in others (town food). Statistically I think that figure has a high sigma. And, of course, then then big variable is how fast you hike.

Slo-go'en
03-09-2014, 22:55
I really think you people are overly optimistic as to how cheap you can hike. Last year I spent nearly $1500 to go from Springer to Marion, VA - about 500 miles. And I'm really conservative as to how I spend my money, use the grocery store discount cards, don't eat a lot of resturant meals and when I do, I get about the cheapest thing I can find on the menu and maybe I'll splurg on a cheap draft beer, but usually it's just sweet tea. It is frighting how fast you can hemerage money. I didn't even go to Gatlinburg, but I made up for it with 3 nights at Hot Springs, cause I needed a break from the rain.

I can't wait to find out how much it will cost me to hike from Marion to Waynesboro later this spring. I should be okay if I stay out of SNP and their $15 lunches at the way stations...

Sly
03-10-2014, 02:08
It would be nice if people would add their years to their hike. I spent $5 a day in '98 is more like $10 a day today (for trail food). And as Mags and Garlic point out. It's certainly going to be cheaper to hike the trail in 4 months, than it is in six.

q-tip
03-10-2014, 10:37
In my case, it was about my recovery time. I waked 1/2 the AT, but I have a chronic illness and by the timeI got to Winchester I could barely walk, It took 4 days to recover, but I did get to Harpers Ferry. My costs were way high or that reason. There are obviously lots of variables, but what might seem like luxuries sitting in your living room almost become necessities after several hundred miles. Just some thoughts....

bigcranky
03-10-2014, 15:52
I can't wait to find out how much it will cost me to hike from Marion to Waynesboro later this spring. I should be okay if I stay out of SNP and their $15 lunches at the way stations...

If you get off in Waynesboro you miss Shenandoah, of course. But the waysides are very reason to hike there -- it's just too totally awesome to hit a wayside for a hot burger and a cold milkshake on a summer day, or, my favorite day ever on the trail, get up really early and hike 8 miles, then hit Big Meadows Wayside for a huge breakfast and fresh hot coffee. Mmmmmm, dang that was good.

I'm pretty careful with my money, and I don't drink a lot, but given my experience with town stops and resupply, I think the $1000/month figure is pretty accurate. For me, anyway. I know I could do it for less, but I do want to enjoy the experience.

Rayo
03-10-2014, 21:29
I spent ~$3500 on my thru (excluding gear costs). You can always fundraise through your blog using paypal!

johnnyq
03-11-2014, 20:51
The $25.00 a day works out pretty good. You have to figure your day to day food, mail drops, washing clothes and now and then having a good time in town. When i have a lay over having a few beers is good..

johnnyq
03-11-2014, 21:03
Let me know when you come through and we can share a beer...

ALLEGHENY
03-11-2014, 21:06
$25.00/day

The $25.00 a day works out pretty good. You have to figure your day to day food, mail drops, washing clothes and now and then having a good time in town. When i have a lay over having a few beers is good..

I'm telling ya this is correct.