PDA

View Full Version : What tent / hammock are you bringing?

Dahoyt
03-09-2014, 13:55
Figured we could all talk gear, so what tent or hammock have you purchased? Or have you yet to get your shelter and what are you considering?

Dahoyt
03-09-2014, 13:58
I already own a EMS Velocity One, but def thinking about getting a LightHeart or a Big Agnus Tent...

virginia jen
03-09-2014, 16:06
I've got a Lightheart Solo that I love. Will have to rig some tie-outs for tent platforms up north, but after that should be no problems

Old Hiker
03-09-2014, 18:34
LightHeart SoLong 6 - finally got the 2 door one I wanted, but the first impressions review is the same. Here in FL, though, I'm getting a TON of condensation. Slept out last night - down to 48*, very wet inside. Humidity was 100% with the dew point of about 50* or so. I don't recall condensation while I was hiking.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions

Tried my Clark hammock when I started my attempt in 2012 - couldn't get out of bed in the cold, blowing rain without getting wet, so went back to an ALPS Zephyr 1 tent. Lost over 2 pounds going to my SoLong.

I would like cuben, but I just can't justify the few ounces of weight.

wtrenda
03-09-2014, 18:46
I've got a BA Fly Creek UL1...it's come in at 31 oz when I've weighed it, which is a couple oz less than it's listing on the website. I may consider dropping a few oz and getting something lighter later this year...we'll see.

Damn Yankee
03-09-2014, 18:51
I guess I am the heavy weight here, In this corner weighing in at an impressive 3 lbs. 9oz. the Nemo Meta 2. I am a big fan of having a lot of room to sprawl out in the tent and if by some chance I decide to hike with my dog, there's plenty of room.

wtrenda
03-09-2014, 18:58
I guess I am the heavy weight here, In this corner weighing in at an impressive 3 lbs. 9oz. the Nemo Meta 2. I am a big fan of having a lot of room to sprawl out in the tent and if by some chance I decide to hike with my dog, there's plenty of room.

How do you like your Nemo Equipment tent?? I like the looks of a lot of their stuff but haven't talked to anyone using it.. Any feedback would be awesome

Damn Yankee
03-09-2014, 20:20
I love Nemo products. Istarted off with the 1P which had plenty of room but, wanted to go bigger in case of dog or granddaughter. I haven't had any of the condensation problems but, I also raise the vestibules to allow cross ventilation. There customer service is also great. I won't tell you what I paid for the 2P but, I will say it was much less than half.

terryg49
03-09-2014, 20:20
I'm now using a Hubba Hubba. Yes it's a little heavy. 4 pounds plus or minus.. But it is weight well worth carrying. I'll spend 8 to 10 hours a night in it. It's free standing. Double side doors and vestibules. Room for my gear inside and room to sit up and move around. I can be snug inside it and have the space to blow up my sleeping pad with ease. With care I can also cook in the poring rain under the lea side vestibule. It breathes well and I never have moisture issues. My pack weight with 5 days food is just about 25 pounds and get lighter with every meal. Why not be as comfortable as possible when your out there?

Damn Yankee
03-09-2014, 20:28
something to be said for free standing tents especially on tent platforms on the trail. If I ever buy another, it will be free standing.

ezdoesit
03-09-2014, 21:45
Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Zip and love it no more sleeping on the ground:)

G2outdoors
03-09-2014, 21:53
Warbonnet Ridge Runner. Most. Comfortable. Night. Ever.

Sent from my Hammock.

wtrenda
03-09-2014, 22:14
I love Nemo products. Istarted off with the 1P which had plenty of room but, wanted to go bigger in case of dog or granddaughter. I haven't had any of the condensation problems but, I also raise the vestibules to allow cross ventilation. There customer service is also great. I won't tell you what I paid for the 2P but, I will say it was much less than half.

I like the Obi Elite 2P...and I like how lightweight it is...and I have a dog that I am thinking I'm taking with me. Like I said, I have a Fly Creek UL1 right now and we both fit in it...but it's awful snug. I'll have to consider a few more Nemo items now. Thanks!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-09-2014, 22:27
BA copper spur ul1. Tried the fly creek platinum. The weight was great but the way it is construction you have to stake out both sides of the foot of the tent if you want room at the foot and don't want it laying in your bag, especially with rain. Very tight and I didn't like the entry at the end. Also read complaints that with hard rain the tub walls are low enough to allow rain in. Lastly I had someone who works for outdoor equipment company tell me it isn't durable enough for long trail. CS is free standing, side entry, more head room and just more room altogether. With fly attached to footprint I can slip the pole under, set it up then slip inside and finish setting up tent keeping the inside of the tent dry. Lastly higher side walls keep out rain better, offer more privately if I don't use fly. :-) If I went to another I would go with new Hubba Hubba ul2. More room for 8oz. But for right now the copper spur :-)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-09-2014, 22:28
Can't do a hammock. I would about bears running under me :-)

Venchka
03-09-2014, 23:33
In a perfect world I would add the following to my current shelter inventory:
1-2 person TarpTent shelter.
2-3 person Hilleberg shelter.
Not sure when I will ever be in a perfect world. In the meantime, my North Face 3 season and Garuda 4 season tents and MSR tarp will suffice for my needs.

Wayne

YesRushGen
03-10-2014, 08:38
Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 in Cuben Fiber. I just set it up for the first time yesterday and am very pleased. First setup was awkward, as I've never owned a tent like this. I'm confident additional setups/takedowns will decrease setup time!

drew_a_blank
03-10-2014, 15:24
I'll be using a hammock for my '15 thru attempt. I plan on using my 10ft freebird (basic single layer gathered end) and Warbonnet Edge Tarp. Depending on the bugs, I may add a bugnet to the shelter system, though I am undecided here. Any input is appreciated for those with experience hammocking along the AT (I'm a west coaster).

SunnyWalker
03-10-2014, 15:51
Hmmmmmmm . . . I have Hennessee Hammock, Clip Flashlight, Gatewood Cape and last but not least Eureka Solitaire tent. This year when I hit the CDT it will be with the Eureka Solitaire at 41 oz. It will be a SOBO hike.

ezdoesit
03-10-2014, 16:37
I'll be using a hammock for my '15 thru attempt. I plan on using my 10ft freebird (basic single layer gathered end) and Warbonnet Edge Tarp. Depending on the bugs, I may add a bugnet to the shelter system, though I am undecided here. Any input is appreciated for those with experience hammocking along the AT (I'm a west coaster).
Get the big net you will definitely need it the bugs get real bad.

G2outdoors
03-10-2014, 22:24
Warbonnet Ridge Runner. Most. Comfortable. Thing. Ever.

Sent from my Hammock.

Danwood
03-11-2014, 09:56
I don't like trekking poles, but after much self loathing on other longer hikes I have decided to finally throw in the towel, and get a pair. On the bright side this brings about some nice tent options. I'm not much of a hammock guy, so after reading other peoples accounts I settled on :

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/74-lunar-solo-le.html

drew_a_blank
03-11-2014, 15:53
Get the big net you will definitely need it the bugs get real bad.

Thanks for the advise, I appreciate it. Mosquitos and flies in the Sierras can get bad in the summer here, but it's bearable (with lots of deet :)).

Nonfiction
03-12-2014, 07:55
The wife & I plan on rocking the Big Agnes Scout UL2.

Bacon
03-12-2014, 08:09
Tarptent Double Rainbow. Can be freestanding using hiking poles.

Mick3y
03-12-2014, 09:22
I use a BASE Hex tarp and a MYOG hammock. Comfortable and light setup

squeezebox
03-12-2014, 09:31
I'm a side sleeper, If I try to sleep on my back I wake myself up snoring. I do want to lose 30+ lbs. this year. But my guess is a hammock is out of the question.

rhjanes
03-12-2014, 13:07
I'm a side sleeper, If I try to sleep on my back I wake myself up snoring. I do want to lose 30+ lbs. this year. But my guess is a hammock is out of the question.not at all. The "Bridge" type hammocks could be one option for you. I just purchased a Warbonnent XLC (which is not a bridge, still a gathered end type hammock) and found that it was much better for side sleeping, than my older Warbonnent Black Birds (WBBB). Go over to Hammockforums.net, see if there is a "hang" near you in the near future, drop by and try out some different hammocks and "bridge" type.

colorado_rob
03-12-2014, 14:38
I tried, I really tried to use a Hammock. I borrowed a pals for three nights, never got comfortable in it (I forget the brand, but very common on the AT). I roll a lot and side sleep and it just didn't work. So last year for the 1st 1000 miles of the AT I used my BA fly creek UL2, 2# 8oz, worked great, it's my wife's and my go-to tent for all backpack trips, lots of life left in it after 80-90 nights of use.

But I got an unexpected tax return this year (I really thought I would have to PAY)... so I sprang for a zpacks hexamid-solo-plus for $400; not here yet, but can't wait to try it out. 18 ounces, I think, and it will actually sleep my wife and I both in a pinch, should be palatial for just me. Heading back to the AT in a month with it, 22 ounces lighter than my trusty BA.

Where does the gear-buying insanity end????

Mick3y
03-12-2014, 16:35
The whipping on a hammock can drastically change the hang. I've fiddled with a few of them until I found a hang that I like for side sleeping and/or back sleeping. It works out well, just takes time to find out what works for you

turgaer
03-14-2014, 01:50

While I haven't been on the AT, I've been living in Pennsylvania for the last few years and I would definitely recommend a bug net. I currently use the byer moskito traveller hammock, and I'm saving up for a hammock tarp with doors from z-packs. This hammock isn't the nicest, but it's relatively cheap, lighter than most hammocks with built in bug nets, and available from REI so it still beats the hell out of sleeping on the ground.

Deadeye
03-14-2014, 16:55
Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock and Speer winter tarp (a.k.a. one big a$$ tarp)

Black Wolf
03-23-2014, 17:53
Custom Black Wolf bridge hammock .. 12oz.
Custom Black Wolf Cuban tarp .. 8oz.
ZPacks Bivy .. 6oz.
ZPacks Cuban solo ground sheet. .. 3.3oz.

myakka_
03-23-2014, 18:04
I recently purchased the Snugpak jungle hammock. It weighs 28 oz (without rain fly) and has one of the best suspension systems I have seen. I have been looking at old (and recent) threads about a good fly to put over it. But so far I am thrilled with the quality of design and manufacture. For $50 it was worth it.

kennajm
03-24-2014, 12:52
BA Fly Creek UL2. Just got it so the first test will be in a few weeks.

Christmastree
03-24-2014, 21:11
I purchased a Tarptent Contrail. It isn't perfect, but it is pretty light, 27.5 oz. I've used it on the Northville-Lake Placid trail in New York. I hope I'm happy with it by this time next year! I'd be interested if anyone else has an oppinion on this tent, as it seemed to be absent from the thread so far.

wtrenda
03-24-2014, 22:18
Thinking of getting a ZPacks Solo Plus... does anyone have any thoughts on this shelter?

pdcollins6092
03-25-2014, 16:43
I will be using the Clark NX-250 to 2015. In 2012 I used the Clark North American.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

theatiger
03-30-2014, 09:28
Using a hennessy expedition hammock,actually makes my back feel better when sleeping in over my bed!:cool:

Odd Man Out
03-30-2014, 10:33
I don't like trekking poles, but after much self loathing on other longer hikes I have decided to finally throw in the towel, and get a pair. On the bright side this brings about some nice tent options. I'm not much of a hammock guy, so after reading other peoples accounts I settled on :

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/74-lunar-solo-le.html

To be clear - all of the tents that CAN be pitched with trekking poles CAN ALSO be used with optional tent poles (all the companies sell them). So don't rule these out if you choose not to use trekking poles.

I too have a SMD tent (Skyscape Trekker). Haven't been able to set it up yet. The snow is just now melting so the ground is still either covered, frozen, or muddy. Will be using it on section hikes in the summer.

Giuseppe
03-30-2014, 15:20
Tried different tents on my nobo thru hike in 2013- Bib Agnes, Tarptent double rainbow and squall 2, and finally the keeper- Lightheart Solong 6. For me, I would not use any other tent than the Lightheart, because the bathtub walls on the tarptent rolled over from my very active sleeping movement into them, which was not a problem with the Lightheart due to the difference in design and pole placement for setup. Lightheart tent is lighter, cheaper and a all around better tent than the Big Agnes for me. When I head out for my sobo in July, my Lightheart will be in my pack. A Good Journey to all!

Caddywhompus
04-01-2014, 22:48
I use an ENO Double Nest and Rain Fly. Once I get up near PA I plan on adding the Bug Net.

contrast009
04-02-2014, 10:16
As of yesterday, I am a proud owner of a Tarptent Notch!

Hogie
04-06-2014, 18:32
I've been using a BA Seedhouse 1 but for the thru hike I'm considering buying the Lightheart SoLong 6. Should save at least a pound and everything I've read about it has been favorable. I'm 6'5" and 195lbs. so I'm a bit limited in tent choices.

redzombie
04-06-2014, 21:25
I just bought Big Anges Super Scout UL2. On my SOBO 14 hike with the dog, I don't think this will work. When the dog stands up or moves to get comfortable, or hell if I move, I touch the single wall and water comes in. I like the big ass vestibule. So far I haven't found a tent that is this light with this much sq ft. Any recommendations?

wtrenda
04-06-2014, 22:17
I just started looking at a lightheart gear solo. does anyone have experience with these?

Mountain Due
04-07-2014, 14:46
I'm taking a Zpacks Hexamid Duplex. It weighs in at about 20 ounces. I like extra room at night and this gives me plenty. I just used it for the first time last night in the rain. No complaints so far but I will test it out further with some longer hikes this summer and fall.

colorado_rob
04-07-2014, 15:00
I'm taking a Zpacks Hexamid Duplex. It weighs in at about 20 ounces. I like extra room at night and this gives me plenty. I just used it for the first time last night in the rain. No complaints so far but I will test it out further with some longer hikes this summer and fall. I too am the proud (but broke!) owner of a Zpacks Hexamid Solo-plus. 16.0 ounces total with my own UL ground sheet (from gossamer gear, cut to size). I was torn between the Solo and the Duplex, but opted for the former. My first single wall tent. We'll see how it works out starting next week!

FWIW: I've owned a few Big Agnes tents over the years, including the Seedhouse SL1 and Fly creek UL2, both excellent tents. I only sprung for the Zpacks Cuben to save another 1.5 pounds because I got a surprise tax refund. gotta help out the economy, right?

redzombie
04-07-2014, 21:46
Ok, so I exchanged my BG super scout for the Sierra Designs Lighting 2 UL. Much happier. More room, easier to set up, and free standing.

frogpockets
04-08-2014, 01:49
second the ridge runner.comfort of home hangin in a tree.what more can you ask for.oh and a 13'x11' cuben tarp with doors.very roomy.very light

wtrenda
04-10-2014, 10:53
I am now using a Lightheart Gear Solo instead of the Fly Creek UL1. It allows for more space and is lighter. Looking forward to my first hike with it!

Conductor
04-13-2014, 16:38
BA Fly Creek UL2 with modifications bring the weight down to 1080 grams. I'm pretty happy with that since in 2006 I used a 15 year old Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight at 1700 grams.

Set it up yesterday. Plenty of room for gear and 1 short person. Nice storage nets. Durability will depend on care; the trail is demanding and packing away wet a necessity.
Cut the instructions out, threw away some of the crazy cords, and chucked the heavy spikes. Not sure what the engineers were thinking on that one. Probably some supply chain deal for cheap big heavy stakes.
Replaced those with titanium stakes from backcountry.com.

Deacon
04-13-2014, 19:44
I've been a long time hammock guy and am a big fan of the Warbonnet Blackbird. However, realizing full well all the benefits of the hammock, I've decided to go back to ground, at least for a while.

After looking at many tents, I've decided and just bought a cuben Lightheart Solong 6, with double awnings. Weighs 26 oz.

I tried it out in my backyard a couple nights, one of those in a heavy driving rain. The floor stayed totally dry.

This tent is nothing short of fantastic.

YesRushGen
04-14-2014, 11:46
After looking at many tents, I've decided and just bought a cuben Lightheart Solong 6, with double awnings. Weighs 26 oz.

I tried it out in my backyard a couple nights, one of those in a heavy driving rain. The floor stayed totally dry.

This tent is nothing short of fantastic.

I resemble that remark - I mean, I second that opinion!

My only "issue" is just getting used to the setup - and the transition between awnings-up and storm mode. All my tents in the past have been free-standing, so this is a bit different. And with transition between modes, I need to figure out the optimum distance to place the stakes so they don't 1. pop out of the ground when putting awnings up, and 2. have enough room to stay taught when putting awnings down.

Kelly

YC 15
04-14-2014, 19:40
It's a good thing I have the rest of the year to play with my gear! I like the simplicity of a free-standing tent. My kelty salida practically sets itself up. I have been doing a lot of hammock camping over the the last two years and it's hard to compete with that kind of comfort. The weight savings with a tarp tent or shelter is difficult to ignore. I'll be doing several shakedown hikes with different set-ups thru these coming months. What is worth it's weight? Time will tell.

Caddywhompus
04-15-2014, 07:32
It's a good thing I have the rest of the year to play with my gear! I like the simplicity of a free-standing tent. My kelty salida practically sets itself up. I have been doing a lot of hammock camping over the the last two years and it's hard to compete with that kind of comfort. The weight savings with a tarp tent or shelter is difficult to ignore. I'll be doing several shakedown hikes with different set-ups thru these coming months. What is worth it's weight? Time will tell.

I feel the same way. I got an amazing hammock and the comfort is the most i've ever had camping. Yet it does weigh a pound more then a tent when you consider straps, underquilt, and tarp. I'm gonna be doing a good bit of backpacking this year to see if the comfort is worth weight.

Conductor
04-16-2014, 06:17
I am not a hammock user, but I have a hiking buddy who uses one and I will say this. As long as you can find trees and keep warm, the hammocks are a great choice. The AT is very rocky, and tends to be hard on stakes. Some tents are free standing, some not, even if they are supposed to be.

Mike415
04-18-2014, 23:49
Been looking and comparing for aawhile and think memo 1p is about best balance of easy set up; light weight and durability. Well see

Busfoot
05-13-2014, 02:47
I plan on bringing my OES 10x8 tarp and a Borah Gear bug bivy. Around 23 ounces together. I own a BA Copper Spur UL1, and I love it, but I'm having a hard time justifying the extra weight, especially since I'll be using a Go-lite Jam 50 as my pack. If I can think of other (affordable) ways to save pack weight, then I might bring the UL1.

DeerFriend
05-13-2014, 08:11
I will most likely be using my Sierra Designs Flashlight 1. All my other shelters are larger and heavier. I thought about a hammock but after careful consideration I have decided to stick with a tent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ihavea4
05-13-2014, 09:27
i just ordered a Dream Hammock Thunderbird the other day to go along with my Warbonnet Superfly tarp. if i were to go with a tent, i was seriously considering the Lightheart Solo. still might get it for something like the PCT or trails where a hammock would be very difficult to set up. We'll see about that when the time comes though.

fastrr
05-21-2014, 10:15
Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Backpacker is my plan for now. I am planning on starting out with winter quilts and dropping to summer later on. This should lighten up my end weight why still allowing me to sleep almost anywhere. I won't have to work about rocks or uneven terrain.

SouthMark
05-21-2014, 13:58
I feel the same way. I got an amazing hammock and the comfort is the most i've ever had camping. Yet it does weigh a pound more then a tent when you consider straps, underquilt, and tarp. I'm gonna be doing a good bit of backpacking this year to see if the comfort is worth weight.

Are you counting your pad in your tent setup? A pad for ground dwellers is comparable to an under quilt for hammock users.

BuckeyeBill
05-21-2014, 16:10
I am planning on getting a War Bonnet Blackbird with Whoopie Slings, Eno Atlas Straps, a Black Mamba 20º Top Quilt and a Yeti 20º Under Quilt. For my tent set up I am going with a Tarptent Notch, a Thermarest Xtherm Pad and a Marmot Helium 15º Sleeping Bag or a Marmot Atom 40º Sleeping Bag.

BuckeyeBill
05-21-2014, 16:14
Forgot my Tarp which will be a Standard Cuben Fiber Tarp from Hammock Gear.

Drybones
05-21-2014, 18:27
Are you counting your pad in your tent setup? A pad for ground dwellers is comparable to an under quilt for hammock users.

I'm working on a hammock set up trying to get the weight down to my tent set up, the pad I use is 16 oz and has kept me cozy at 15*, all the 20* underquilts I've looked at were 23-27 oz (full length, as is the pad). For me to get where I need to be will probably means shelling out some $$$ for a cuben fiber tarp.

Drybones
05-21-2014, 18:35
I am planning on getting a War Bonnet Blackbird with Whoopie Slings, Eno Atlas Straps, a Black Mamba 20º Top Quilt and a Yeti 20º Under Quilt. For my tent set up I am going with a Tarptent Notch, a Thermarest Xtherm Pad and a Marmot Helium 15º Sleeping Bag or a Marmot Atom 40º Sleeping Bag.

IMO comments on your tent set up:

TT Notch - love mine, I've enjoyed it probably more than any other piece of gear I have.
Marmot Helium - it's okay but I wouldn't buy it again, does not have a draft collar which I really like, as on the Pinnacle which to me is a better bag but weighs a little more.
Marmot Atom - wouldn't buy it again, I'd get a 30* bag, for what I use the Atom for a fleece blanket from a thrift store would do as well.

Drybones
05-21-2014, 18:44

If you can sleep good on the ground that's the way to go, if not, I'd carry an extra pound for a good nights sleep any time. I made a couple of hammocks and slept some nights in the back yard and I don't toss and turn and my back sure fells better in the morning, eventually I'll get my hammock set up worked out, but I'll still keep and use the tents as well.

SouthMark
05-21-2014, 18:50
I'm working on a hammock set up trying to get the weight down to my tent set up, the pad I use is 16 oz and has kept me cozy at 15*, all the 20* underquilts I've looked at were 23-27 oz (full length, as is the pad). For me to get where I need to be will probably means shelling out some $$$ for a cuben fiber tarp.

My winter hammock set up. Been down to 2º with it.

Tarp, ridgeline and guylines 12.0 oz
Stakes in stake bag 1.4 oz
Hammock, suspension and tree straps 10.1 oz
Zero degree top quilt 26.0 oz
Zero degree under quilt 17.7 oz
TOTAL 4.16 lbs

My three season set up is 13 oz lighter and my summer set up is 18 oz lighter.

Drybones
05-21-2014, 20:28
My winter hammock set up. Been down to 2º with it.

Tarp, ridgeline and guylines 12.0 oz
Stakes in stake bag 1.4 oz
Hammock, suspension and tree straps 10.1 oz
Zero degree top quilt 26.0 oz
Zero degree under quilt 17.7 oz
TOTAL 4.16 lbs

My three season set up is 13 oz lighter and my summer set up is 18 oz lighter.

What underquilt do you have?

drew_a_blank
05-21-2014, 20:31

Curious about this as well.

SouthMark
05-21-2014, 20:59

Well I have several under quilts but the zero degree listed is a Warbonnet Yeti Winter uq. It is only a 3/4 uq but I discovered that I do not need a full length uq. I have three full length uq's and have not used them in 3 or 4 years. And BTW I am cold natured.

Drybones
05-22-2014, 14:15
Well I have several under quilts but the zero degree listed is a Warbonnet Yeti Winter uq. It is only a 3/4 uq but I discovered that I do not need a full length uq. I have three full length uq's and have not used them in 3 or 4 years. And BTW I am cold natured.

What do you use to keep the lower half warm at 20*?

Jcraw
05-22-2014, 16:55
I've been using the BA Fishhook UL1 for my shake downs that I got on sale. I am finding that the no zipper gimmick is a bit more of a hassle than a reward, those crafty mosquitoes still find a way in through the bottom. I am heavily debating picking up a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. Anyone have any experience with it?

SouthMark
05-22-2014, 20:20
What do you use to keep the lower half warm at 20*?

Well most of my legs are in the footbox of my top quilt and my feet are either on by foam pad that is the back panel of my Gossamer Gear pack or on my empty pack if I am using my ULA. That is why I no longer use any of my full length quilts. I discovered they were not needed and I was just carrying extra weight. My Winter Yeti covers from my shoulders to mid thigh.

Old Hiker
05-25-2014, 09:41
If there is anyone out there looking for a decent, cheap, not TOO heavy tent, Steep and Cheap dot com has my beloved (after my SoLong 6) Alps on sale for the next few days:

http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-cache/summer-new-arrivals/ALM000C-COP

I'll admit: I bought another recently without looking at the color. I'm not too fond of the new copper/orange color vs. my old green one, but it's still a very good tent at a decent price. It was just long enough for me (6'2") and wide enough for some gear around me, plus the vestibule was just large enough for my pack and boots.

Poedog
05-25-2014, 11:34
For my June 18th SOBO:

Wilderness Logics Snipe Hammock (Whoopie, Straps)
HG Standard Cuben Tarp (camo)
HG 40* Burrow TQ
HG 20* Phoenix UQ

Speakeasy TN
06-04-2014, 09:15
I'm torn. I loved my Hubba and neoair in '11 but just bought a Hennessy Deep Jungle. We'll see how I sleep hanging from a tree!

Dosu
06-16-2014, 12:28
Eno Double Nest with the house fly rain tarp and hopefully the bug net :)

ctebeau
06-24-2014, 23:13
Warbonnet Blackbird with strap and buckle suspension, Superfly tarp, Hammockgear 20 deg. incubator and 20 deg. burrow for insulation. Hoping to not have to spend money on summer quilts, but we'll see when the temps rise.

overthinker
06-25-2014, 22:19
i just ordered a Dream Hammock Thunderbird the other day to go along with my Warbonnet Superfly tarp. if i were to go with a tent, i was seriously considering the Lightheart Solo. still might get it for something like the PCT or trails where a hammock would be very difficult to set up. We'll see about that when the time comes though.

I should have my 11' Thunderbrid by the end of the week! I've got a Speer Winter and an Oware 10' square tarp. Might need to go longer once I get the longer hammock under there, but we'll see.

hikingshoes
06-25-2014, 22:53
I have a MSR carbon reflex 2, Clark jungle hammock /tarp,and a TT StratoSpire 1.
i love my MSR tent ,I have plenty of room for my pad/bag, and my pack. I hang my food.

Busky2
06-25-2014, 23:40
The Nemo GOGO LE bivy/tent is replacing my hammock as I find I like being in the shelters and not sleeping the AM away. I have saved a few pounds by eliminating the tarp along with its' lines and stakes and suspension also my hammock plus its' suspension parts was a bit heavy, and bonus, no more need for the under quilt so yippee for me. I have a 11oz mattress NeoAir and 18oz 45*quilt. And with less bulk I moved to a smaller and lighter pack also.

linus72
06-26-2014, 09:28
Bought the REI Passage 2 tent last year at a very affordable $159, and for the price its loaded with features and is super easy to set up in minutes. I can't see myself spending $400 to save 2-3lbs unless I'm doing hundreds or thousands of miles, and with my schedule I'm section hiking a few days at a time. Double doors and vestibules and lots of places to hang lantern, wet rain gear, etc. We took it car camping to field test it and get familiar with it in real conditions. Some nasty weather rolled in about an hour into our overnight at the campsite and the torrential rain did not relent until morning. Used the footprint and despite the small stream that formed under our tent, this thing stayed about 99.9% dry throughout the night. Only a drip or two came in and that's only because we had the vent windows open and the wind was pretty strong. We were really impressed. Definitely cozy for two and gear but as I was with my wife, that was all good and we had room for full size inflatable pads. Its close to 5lbs with the full tent/stakes/fly and poles, but the two of us can split the weight on the trail.We will be testing that this weekend as we do our first backpacking overnight since we were teens, on the AT in CT. Starting with the river walk to get accustomed to the packs and weight for the first miles and hope when the steeps come that we're good and used to it by then! Looking forward to testing it on the trail, with packs in the vestibules.

RED-DOG
06-26-2014, 18:41
I have purchased the YAMA MOUNTAIN GEAR Cirriform SW-1Person for my 2015 P.C.T thru I have set it up a couple of times seems like a good tent but kinda expensive at $420.00 plus SH, but i have been using the Marmot EOS 1-person this is a great tent.

gbolt
06-26-2014, 22:44
Warbonnet Blackbird with strap and buckle suspension, Superfly tarp, Hammockgear 20 deg. incubator and 20 deg. burrow for insulation. Hoping to not have to spend money on summer quilts, but we'll see when the temps rise.

Just curious why you and others are going with the Incubator and Burrow vs. the BB Yeti and Mamba? I do know the Mamba is $36 more but slightly lighter and the Yeti is 3/4 but has a specific baffle venting system. Like everything, it ends up being personal choice but I would love to hear thoughts to aid my research and choice specific to these specific uq and tq.

ctebeau
06-28-2014, 00:40
the reason i went with the incubator/burrow is because i really wanted a full length UQ. I tend to sleep quite cold and figured insulation isn't an area i should skimp on. I've also heard plenty of raving reviews for hammockgear's quilts so i figured it would be a safe bet to go with. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet as i'm still waiting for them to be shipped in, but im defiantly looking forward to testing them

SouthMark
06-28-2014, 08:45
gbolt, just to even things up a bit I use a WB Yeti and Burrow. I have a full length UQ but find I do not need it. Never been cold with the Yeti down to 2 degrees. You can't go wrong with either WB stuff or HG stuff.

BuckeyeBill
06-28-2014, 16:30
I am using a Warbonnet Blackbird with a Yeti 3 season UQ and a Black Mamba TQ Covered by a Hammock Hear Standard Cuben Fiber Tarp.

Jake2c
06-30-2014, 12:54
Mountain hardware tent when cold. A little heavy, free standing, no moister problems and lots of room. Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Zip for when it is hot. Much cooler then a tent, has bug netting attched. Have not used the hammock a lot yet but I am really liking it. Very comfortable, very fast setup and take down though I miss having my backpack inside with me.

CaityJ
07-14-2014, 14:01
I finally committed to a Big Agnes fly creek UL2. In comparison to other styles the weight and other overall specs got my attention. coming in at a weight of 2 lb. 5 oz I only paid $311 for it on Eastern Mountain Sports.

Ricky&Jack
07-14-2014, 14:16
Skeeter Beeter Pro

Riocielo
07-14-2014, 14:28
I have a MSR carbon reflex 2, Clark jungle hammock /tarp,and a TT StratoSpire 1.
i love my MSR tent ,I have plenty of room for my pad/bag, and my pack. I hang my food.
How do you like your StratoSpire? I was thinking of the TT SS 2 for me & my hubby.

dangerdave
07-14-2014, 21:10
I'll be tenting with the Lightheart Solong 6 on my AT thru-hike. Throw in the XTherm Neoair pad, and I'm still researching a good bag to get me through the cold March in the Smokies.

Wülfgang
07-16-2014, 12:52
Grand Trunk Single
DIY bugnet
Warbonett Superfly tarp

hikehunter
07-18-2014, 22:55
DIY hammock (gathered ends) tree strap and homemade whoopi style lines.
DIY underquilt 3/4 length
I need a new tarp and I am actively shopping????

Busky2
07-19-2014, 08:05
The Nemo GOGO LE bivy/tent is replacing my hammock as I find I like being in the shelters and not sleeping the AM away. I have saved a few pounds by eliminating the tarp along with its' lines and stakes and suspension also my hammock plus its' suspension parts was a bit heavy, and bonus, no more need for the under quilt so yippee for me. I have a 11oz mattress NeoAir and 18oz 45*quilt. And with less bulk I moved to a smaller and lighter pack also.

CHANGE UP!!!!!!!

Well after a few nights of the nemo I liked the weight saving so much that I want to go even lighter so........ I got a Six Moons Design Lunar Solo and I hope this is it. With the stuff sack (silnylon), footprint (tyvek) and stakes (Ti) it comes in at less than TWO pounds and is roomy. I can sit upright, change, have room for all my gear inside and a nice vestibule to boot.

soumodeler
07-20-2014, 08:18
ZPacks Hexamid Solplex. I really like the idea of cuben fiber not sagging when wet, which was my biggest complaint about my TT Notch.

mattjv89
07-22-2014, 22:52
Currently waiting on a Mountain Laurel Designs Solomid XL. This will be the third shelter I've bought with an eye to thru-hiking and hopefully the last. I've used a Sierra Designs Flashlight 1 for a bit, liked the tent but not crazy about the weight and pack space occupied. Then I tried out an 8x10 sil tarp and learned I don't mind the lack of a floor one bit but wanted a little more protection against drifting snow. Led me to looking at pyramid tarps, and the video of Andrew Skurka using a Solomid through 4,700 miles of Alaska wilderness definitely clinched it.

AmputeeHiker
08-04-2014, 10:22
Eureka Spitfire here.

jbwood5
08-04-2014, 10:55
One thing I learned on this years hike: Just before I left, I bought a BA one man Fish Hook (similar to the Fly Creek). This was on a flash sale at the Climb and well under $200 shipped (sale price for just a few hours). It is very light and has side entry. You can free stand it on a plaform but really need to secure the bottoms of the fly which was easy to do on most platforms. Admittedly it is a little tight, but I see these guys in bivie bags much smaller. As it ended up, the small size didn't bother me much. The biggest problem is setting these up in a steady rain and keeping the inside from getting soaked. It is just not a quick process getting the poles hooked into place and manuevering the tent fly into the proper position and hooking it down. Even with plenty of practice it can't be done quick enough. For that reason, I would not recommend it, or if you have one, try to get in a shelter and wait out the rain before setting up your tent (not always possible). Once set up, the tent does not leak.

My other tent is a Vaude Eco 2 person which does not have a tent fly as the exposed surface is water proof. You use your 2 hiking poles and can even throw your pack inside the tent as you set up to keep stuff dry. Setup is typically less than a minute, depending on how the staking goes (roots, rocks, etc will slow it down). It is not free standing but I have used it on platforms with my own supplied tiny screw eyelets. I expect this design is similar to the Henry Squires Tarptent (I saw a few of those this year).

Tents come in so many styles and varieties, it is sometimes hard to figure out the one that is best for you. My desire has always been for quick setup and ability to keep it as dry as possible in the rain.

hazmat
08-04-2014, 21:47
Right now am planning on using my TarpTent Rainbow. Freestanding with poles. Worked fine on the tent platforms in the White Mountains. At a bit over 2 lbs it seems to have plenty of room for me and my backpack.

Regards,
Hazmat

Gunner1776
08-10-2014, 17:31
Haven't purchased it yet, but I really like the TarpTent tents as well as the Lightheart Solong 6. I am not sure which I am going to choose. All I know is that I don't want to sleep in a shelter....not a fan of mice......or some people (unless they are chicks...j/k)

Cassafras
08-10-2014, 21:56
Tarptent Notch. I just got it a couple of weeks ago and have set it up multiple times in my yard to see if I like it. So far, I do like the design. Not a fan of the sagging due to condensation/wetness. I am able to get a taught pitch no prob, but it does sag by morning. I think adding a couple of guylines by the front and back apex should help keep it taught and take some tension off the zipper. Anyone else deal with this?

Deacon
08-11-2014, 06:26
I used a cuben Solong 6 this summer, and it is no doubt a fantastic tent. However after spending several of those nights in shelters, I realized I wasn't ever bothered by bugs.

So, I decided to lighten even further from my 26 oz. Solong 6, realizing I didn't need a bug net. So I bought a Zpacks duplex tarp and matching bathtub floor. Total weight - 13 oz. It's the best of both worlds, lots of room, and low weight.

Yeah I know, I spend money like a drunken sailor.