PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions in Pa. Mt. Holly to Duncannon

Debbie
03-10-2014, 08:39
Has anybody been out in this area lately? How's snow depth and ice? Blowdowns?

Stalking Tortoise
03-10-2014, 13:57
While you're waiting on specific trail info, I can give you the general Central PA outlook. I live just east of the Cumberland Valley.

The only snow left on the ground is either in drifts or shady areas. Ice is a concern because we've had below-freezing temps after the snow began thawing. Hard-packed areas (like you'd find on the AT itself) would be a concern. But with near 60-degree weather forecast tomorrow followed by rain on Wednesday, I'm guessing that the remaining snow won't last long.

Spirit Walker
03-10-2014, 14:36
It's changing so fast. We were on the AT in Boiling Springs last Thursday and there was still several inches of soft snow everywhere. On Friday in Ship. on the rail trail it was still solid ice. But by yesterday, anything in the sun was bare. If you're hiking next weekend, most of the old snow will be gone, especially if we do get rain and not snow on Wed.

Trance
03-10-2014, 15:12
Muddy with alot of puddles I'll wager.

Debbie
03-11-2014, 07:39
Thanks all; that gives me a pretty good idea

Spirit Walker
03-11-2014, 21:19
We were at Pine Grove today. Still about 2 inches of ice covering the trail, 4-8 inches of snow in the shade. Expect a lot of blowdowns - not necessarily big ones, but lots of little branches on the trail. (Easily flicked with your sticks.)

Kolo
03-11-2014, 23:09
I was North of Rt 11 to Rt 944 this morning. The trail was icy in some areas, a couple of inches of soft snow in others and muddy in others. Basically, a little bit of everything.