PDA

View Full Version : Horn Mtn Section - Bull Bluff to Porter's Gap

marti038
03-10-2014, 15:23
My brother and I hiked NB from the Bull Bluff parking area to Porter’s Gap on Friday through Saturday morning. This was an excellent section of trail. It was in very good shape with few blowdowns (none significant) and was well marked (really, really, really well in some places). Many of the mile markers seem to have been taken/removed as we only saw mm 6, 12, & 14.

We camped about 100 yds north of Wormy’s Pulpit which was an awesome place to be. The views at sunset were unbelievable. We did have some good ole boys roll up FS600 around 10:00 Friday night, but they didn’t stay long. They were just kind enough to leave their empty Budweiser box on the rocks which my brother graciously packed out. This is an amazing place to camp, but be aware that the FS road rolls right up to the overlook. The locals may visit at any hour.

Scott’s Lake and Cascade were impressive with the rain last Thursday afternoon. We crossed barefoot at the first crossing, put our shoes back on, walked another 50 yards, then realized we had another crossing to make…whoops.

No issue with our vehicles. We had one at each trailhead. Shout out to whichever of you had the 4X4 at Bull Bluff with the “PINHOTI” vanity plate. I should have taken a picture, but the camera was packed up and I was ready to go.

It was a great weekend. Thanks to those of you who volunteer your time to working on this fine trail. It’s a real asset to our state.

blisterbob
03-10-2014, 16:54
Glad you had a good hike across Horn Mtn.

Several experienced hikers were missing the switchback where all the boulders are,
so mothernaturesson and I went in with paint and tools and really, really, really marked it well,
but as he said no matter how much you do, someone will get off the trail.

marti038
03-10-2014, 22:15
Glad you had a good hike across Horn Mtn.

Several experienced hikers were missing the switchback where all the boulders are,
so mothernaturesson and I went in with paint and tools and really, really, really marked it well,
but as he said no matter how much you do, someone will get off the trail.

Your markings worked. We had no trouble navigating that section, but I did take a couple of pictures. Thanks again for all the work you do for the trail.

marti038
03-10-2014, 22:22
Here's a pic my brother took at Wormy's Pulpit Saturday morning.

blisterbob
03-11-2014, 06:04
Great pic!
Obviously a serious upgrade from my camera phone.
Too bad about all the graffiti.

John & I cleared 2 miles of the Nubbin Ck. trail on Sun.
Pinhoti section #12 is also clear.