PDA

View Full Version : EZ Towels instead of Toilet Paper anyone?

jonbobshinigin
03-10-2014, 16:23
I have been using these for the past few hikes and they are GREAT. Not only are they super durable and can be used for wiping out pots easy enough, but they are also bio-degradable and you can get your business done with just one towel. I have not done a weight comparison yet but they pack small and seem just as light a TP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tul6W4dFScs

Pedaling Fool
03-10-2014, 16:39
Forget about weight!

What about cost effectiveness? I've used those before, but I don't remember the price, but I'm betting a roll of TP is probably about the same price, if not less than one of those towels.

WingedMonkey
03-10-2014, 16:47
I carry a few as a "just in case" in my bike tool box that is always attached on my rear rack or in my handelbar bag. Or I carry a few in my "stuff" kit when hiking. Sometimes they sit there for months unused. But nice to have when I need something to clean up with besides my bandana.

Because of cost alone I could not see using them as a daily wipe.

A cotton shirt is bio-degradable but I wouldn't want one in my septic tank (these are rayon). When I do occasionally use these, I pack them out.

perdidochas
03-10-2014, 17:58
I have been using these for the past few hikes and they are GREAT. Not only are they super durable and can be used for wiping out pots easy enough, but they are also bio-degradable and you can get your business done with just one towel. I have not done a weight comparison yet but they pack small and seem just as light a TP.

As another poster said, biodegradable doesn't mean that it won't be around for years. I think for pot scrubbing they are a great compromise. You can reuse them. I don't think they'd be so great for TP. They are probably worse environmentally than flushable wipes.

jonbobshinigin
03-10-2014, 19:10
I was good about coordinating my poops at shelters where there was a compost. I have not done any math on cost either. I used these when I did four days hikes and when I was done I would drop them on the ground and use a stick to push them several inches into the ground. Perhaps I need to come up with something else.

Mando12
03-11-2014, 08:37
I believe that anything but TP is discouraged by those that must maintain the privys. Signs to that effect are often posted, especially in the national parks. As was mentioned, biodegradable can be a marketing term.

slbirdnerd
03-11-2014, 12:00
Zpacks lightload towels are great for pot scrubbing, face washing, tent drying and a multitude of other functions, weigh one-half ounce, and can be washed and re-used until they fall apart. They are 3/$6. I suggest them if you're looking for a towel/rag alternative, they might be better than what you have here. But I would never, ever use and leave behind anything other than toilet paper.

Mick3y
03-12-2014, 00:25
Charmin rolls come with 120-150 sheets and weigh about 3oz. If you use 6 sheets per deed a roll will last for 20-25 uses. I would venture to guess that TP would be better for weight to use ratio, as well as being more socially accepted. The towels would be good to have as a backup if you or someone else needs one.

swjohnsey
03-12-2014, 09:35
A piece of washrag kept in a ziploc bag lasts about forever and leaves no trace.

Mick3y
03-12-2014, 16:32
True, but I'm not sure I'd want to carry that around with me. Sounds pretty crappy

Cosmo
03-14-2014, 20:00
I believe that anything but TP is discouraged by those that must maintain the privys. Signs to that effect are often posted, especially in the national parks. As was mentioned, biodegradable can be a marketing term.

Yes. Discouraged. If it ain't been eaten first, or TP, leave it out of the privy. In composting privies especially, we have to pick out all the non-degraded material--including alleged "biodegradable" wipes of all sorts. Use TP, or leaves. Reusable rags or bandanas seem to me to be an easy way to contaminate water supplies, or spread feces-borne pathogens around shelters, campsites....

Cosmo