PDA

View Full Version : Hammock making using the KISS principle

gumby
09-14-2005, 17:36
Greetings and salutations to all,

I have been lurking and writing for the past couple of weeks. One thing this has done is to convince me to do the hammock thing. I haven't hiked at all since the mid 80s and since father time is creeping up I decided that I'd get back at it. I did a lot of hiking in MA, NH, VT, and ME when in the Boy Scouts (band camp :-)) back in the seventies as well as Philmont.

Ok here is what I get from all the threads and other web sites. Like I said in the title using the KISS (Keep it simple stupid) princicle.

Take some fabric about 9 feet long, gather together, whip the ends.
Tie on some sort of fastener (I'll use web straping to protect the trees).
Test hang it with something soft underneath (almost killed myself in my survival hammock in my dorm room in Korea that's another story:datz ).
Determine length of ridge line for bug net.
Make bug net.
Make tarp (thanks Mirage)
Make Snake skins
Make under quilt
Make pea pod or like object.
Make sure that I can get it all together and get in.
Pack it up to see size
Weigh it.
Lastly Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice. And then some more.

That more or less sums it up as I see it without all the info on materials/thickness/color/loft/etc. Did I forget anything?

You have all helped greatly in my research, now off to making it after I wait for some replies.

I will be making some practice hikes in the central Florida area. Hopefully the AT GAME in 2007 or 2008 after I recoup from bi-lateral knee replacements AND get my wifes permission.

Thanks,

the other Lone Wolf (maybe need to change my handle)

Hammock Hanger
09-14-2005, 18:04
Good luck with the hammock making and the proposed 2007 thru-hike. I myself am trying to get in a thru-hike in 2007 IF I can get my husband to agree to another 5-6 months w/o a wife. :bse

As for the handle you may want to re-think that. I'm not sure you want to get confused with the scoundrel we all know and love that is already a part of the WB network.

Sue/HH

gumby
09-14-2005, 18:51
Good luck with the hammock making and the proposed 2007 thru-hike. I myself am trying to get in a thru-hike in 2007 IF I can get my husband to agree to another 5-6 months w/o a wife. :bse

As for the handle you may want to re-think that. I'm not sure you want to get confused with the scoundrel we all know and love that is already a part of the WB network.

Sue/HH
I didn't know about the other Lone Wolf. This is my name that has been with me for quite some time. I wonder if AT Troll can change my account to another I had in the Air Force.

Oh well we'll see, and thanks.

Just Jeff
09-14-2005, 22:56
You may not need a PeaPod AND and underquilt.

I use a hammock sock with my underquilt, but it's not insulated and just cuts the wind.

If you decide to keep both, you can probably just stick a top quilt inside the peapod...if the pod is fitted right, it'll hold the top quilt against the bottom of the hammock. That'll save you the weight and hassle of underquilt connections.

Either way...enjoy your new gear!

titanium_hiker
09-15-2005, 21:20
yeah- here's how it goes:
Saw a cool site on confluence points On a tecky tv show "Click Online". Got a GPS. Got into hiking. Went to camp. died... hate tent, hate ground, hate heavy. GOOGLE. discover ultralight. discover hammocking. find www.imrisk.com . Make test hammock/zhammock/quarterweight Fabric is gaberdeen- heavy, bulky. Find lighter stuff- looks like ripstop. swap out heavy with light. tarp- make hex, seam seal after leak. :datz (had a skinny fabric, bought more sewed together without sealing)
still too heavy. Gonna do: buy a JRB 3season set. Find still lighter fabric. lighter and better bugnet. fully seam seal the fly.

not really keeping it simple, stupid. :)

the hammock sock is really cool.

titanium

gumby
09-15-2005, 21:42
yeah- here's how it goes:
Saw a cool site on confluence points On a tecky tv show "Click Online". Got a GPS. Got into hiking. Went to camp. died... hate tent, hate ground, hate heavy. GOOGLE. discover ultralight. discover hammocking. find www.imrisk.com (http://www.imrisk.com/) . Make test hammock/zhammock/quarterweight Fabric is gaberdeen- heavy, bulky. Find lighter stuff- looks like ripstop. swap out heavy with light. tarp- make hex, seam seal after leak. :datz (had a skinny fabric, bought more sewed together without sealing)
still too heavy. Gonna do: buy a JRB 3season set. Find still lighter fabric. lighter and better bugnet. fully seam seal the fly.

not really keeping it simple, stupid. :)

the hammock sock is really cool.

titanium
Thanks, I know you just made a bunch of your own stuff, so I appreciate the info.

AM going to start making mine soon (well as soon as I get some $$$ to finance it).

Thanks again

Wolf

titanium_hiker
09-15-2005, 22:00
slowly but surely... I first made umm.. the stove (pepsican) and the hammock then refined the hammock and then made a packcover, just recently sealed the tarp (didn't hold, sniff) and then just made some tarpskins. It's taken me over a year, and I still wouldn't head out with it. Just remember that patience is a big skill in this game...

good luck wolf
titanium

IdahoDavid
09-16-2005, 12:31
I have been experimenting with hammock camping for a while and thought you might be interested in my latest. I had been using a Byers' Hiker with a survival blanket (the kind that is reflective on one side and blue on the other)slung underneath with bungees to hold my sleeping pad for insulation. This has worked fairly well, but I was still experiencing some cold spots.

I own a 26-foot diameter French surplus cargo parachute and decided to use some of he material for a new hammock. I cut a wedge shaped section out of the chute four panels wide so that the outer edges retain the reinforcing nylon strap. I folded this in half and then in half again so that I ended up with something one panel wide, four layers thick and 13 feet long. I gathered up the material at each end and tied a series of half hitches beginning about a foot from each end and left two or three feet of line whihc I tie into loops for the caribiners I clip into the tree-snuggler I use to hang the hammock.

What I like about this design is that I can insert my sleeping pad or quilt between the layers of nylon for under insulation and it stays securely in place. I use a Nylon tarp from Campmor for my shelter overhead and can string bug net under that if needed.

The parachute material is plenty strong enough even if I place my bag over three layers and pull one over the bag for extra wind protection. I'm sure there's room for improvement, but so far this design has been very comfortable as well as simple. I will get some photos at the next opportunity and post them.

titanium_hiker
09-16-2005, 13:12
anyone use silk for a hammock? how much does silk weigh?

I know Ray Garlington has (bless you Ray for the taco.)

titanium